Super speed

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Super speed

Post by Zlatan5 » 04 May 2007, 05:08

Ok guys not to gloat of anything but I am a really fast guy lets just say that. Off the ball im like a bullet I can pretty much outrun anyone i've encountered in a dead sprint. But when it comes to sprinting with the ball it seems like im a lot slower like people and defenders I can run circles around can catch me like nothing. I know your slower when dribbling with the ball but is there a ceartain technique when sprinting with the ball to maximize speed?

I usually use the top of my toes for medium paced dribbling but when i go high speed I use the tips of my toes and I hit the ball out further depending on the distance between me and the opposing defender.

I also train with a physical trainer on sprinting technique so I know the fundamentals and advanced techniques in sprinting. So like I said not to be an a-hole but I won't be needing any tips on sprinting in that category.

Just ask TH14 how fast I am.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 04 May 2007, 06:59

Well the best way to improve this, is to improve your dribbling skills, if your close control is excellent, you should be able to dribble with the ball very fast, watch Ronaldo and Giggs, how quickly they dribble with the ball, they go almost as fast as they go without the ball.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

kflair

Post by kflair » 04 May 2007, 11:51

I am also a great sprinter off the ball and have had to work on faster dribbling. What is most importand besides speed is keeping the ball close to you. My coach has a drill where we dribble every step a touch. We repeat it with several parts of our foot. [inside, outside], I practice with the top of my feet as well.
Depending on how you place your foot while you run you can use part of your foot to hit the ball in your stride. I use the top of my toes to hit the ball as I plant each foot. I still have to change my stride a bit but I can get some decent speed with the ball now.
The trick is to use the same technique at a slower speed to master it first.

Hope this helps :D
Aim for the big white box and miss the guy in the the middle

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 04 May 2007, 13:09

Yeh I'm also a deadly sprinter that's one of my key abilities as a striker. I'm just as fast on the ball as I am without it. When you are sprinting with the ball, you must push it along the ground while you stride using more so your laces, not really your toes. Because when you sprint without the ball you dont toe-poke the ground you lift your leg up in the air as you stride, with your laces pointing forwards. Just get a good technique going and you will be great. Make sure the ball is no more than 1m in front of you when you are at full pace.
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 04 May 2007, 13:45

Hey all, when you are moving fast with the ball, when you accelerate to the ball,should you do it in small steps or big steps to be fast?

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 04 May 2007, 13:53

Wanderer wrote:Hey all, when you are moving fast with the ball, when you accelerate to the ball,should you do it in small steps or big steps to be fast?
what suits you better, but keep in mind that you have to touch the ball in every step you make...
i'm faster using big steps, but some other players are faster using small steps...

Wanderer
Veteran Member

Post by Wanderer » 04 May 2007, 18:57

Yeah,but sometimes you can't touch it wit every step...I mean for ex Kaka's 1st goal at Old Trafford he jz pushed the ball a distance and accelerated onto it...He cud do tht cos he had great acceleration...

Also...players like Cruyff when they dribble, they seem to push a ball quite a distance and accelerate onto it yet almost never lose the ball...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMZmJ464Nss

Anyway I notice Kaka or Cruyff tht the max distance they push the ball to is bout 4,5 steps tho...

Btw...bout the form part...what is the appropriate form for accelerating and sprinting?

p.s. sorry if I'm hijacking the thread,cos I'm havin problems wit these things,so...yeah...wud appreciate help :)

jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton » 04 May 2007, 20:07

yeah, but you're not Kaka, and surely not Cruyff...

Matt17

Post by Matt17 » 05 May 2007, 00:59

I'd like to race you sometime, somehow then. I'm the fastest player on varsity and in 7th grade. On one of my fields (I'm not sure the size, the people that work on it even seem to have a different size every time) I got 6 seconds on a sprint down it.

For at a speed, you should try to increase your stride length. That's waht works for me. You could even put something at the top of your toe, or get cleats with a higher toe area, so you have a bigger touch on the ball, and then can dribble at full speed with the tips of your toes better. (not tested, just guessing).

ageorge
Veteran Member

Post by ageorge » 05 May 2007, 01:50

they only push it that far ahead if they know they have space.
"I eat football, I sleep football, I breathe football. I'm not mad, I'm just passionate."<STRIKE>Thierry Henry</STRIKE>

TH14
Veteran Member

Post by TH14 » 07 May 2007, 22:44

yeah zlatan is amazingly fast without the ball but with the ball its more of a disaster. the first thing u shud work on is your touch in general and that will help you when sprinting with it cuz ur touch isnt as good as it should be if you want to run with the ball as fast as you can without it. no pun intended btw

ballackfan
Veteran Member

Post by ballackfan » 07 May 2007, 23:41

On one of my fields (I'm not sure the size, the people that work on it even seem to have a different size every time) I got 6 seconds on a sprint down it.
Well, since not all field are the same lenght, you should run 40 yards sprint and have someone time your run. Trackfield works the best since you don't have to worry exactly where to finish. If you want to tell us how fast really you are, give us your 40(36.5 m) time.