I am big soccer player....

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
suckatsoccer
New User

I am big soccer player....

Post by suckatsoccer »

Okay so I am 6'8" and I weigh 270 LBS. So I am a pretty big guy, so hence I am not the fastest one out on the field. I was just wondering how I can make it so i dont get beat on defence every stinking time. I have been playing with just friends for the past couple of years and they are all really good, they have played since they could walk some of them. I played basketball. ha ha But is there any technique that would help me so the smaller quicker guys dont smoke me everytime?
ben23

Post by ben23 »

im interested in this too, im not 6'8" but im a pretty big guy
gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim »

As a big player, use your size as an advantage. Be physical when you're playing. Wait for a bad touch, and make your tackle.

To improve your speed, check around this site by using the "Search" feature on the right hand side of the page. You may be able to find drills that others have done to improve speed.
Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life »

I would say that you should make sure you are in tip top shape so that you can still be making recovery sprints by the end of the game. You can also work on agility, acceleration, and your sprinting speed (via plyometrics) to help you be more leveled with small, speedy, and skillful attackers.

If you need more information, check out the fitness section, EF fitness training, or the Ensoccerpeadia.

index.php?f=86
index.php?f=48
http://expertfootball.com/training/fitness.php
KPatel

Post by KPatel »

Not a very self-motivating username there is it suckatsoccer?
suckatsoccer
New User

Post by suckatsoccer »

Thanks guys for the info. Hey what up KPatel? It is true for some people it wouldnt be very motivating, but for me when people tell me I suck at stuff or that I cant do it, I work my butt off until I am better than them. So it is a self motivator reminding me of what people have said.
jcdenton
Veteran Member

Post by jcdenton »

I'm 190cm, i have agility,acceleration and coordination problem, but i compensate it with speed, strength and tackling...
if you're lazy about improving these (as i'm) then just work on other skills that can compensate these...
Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz »

Wow you are massive, i wish i cud have a bit more height actually, im only 5'10" and im a defender as well, the only thing that saves me is the fact that i can leap high :P

Yea dont worry man, just work on everything, work on your sprints, work on your positioning, tackling, everything like that and you will get there and also keep playing games. Trust me through experience you will start to play a lot better, your height is not a burden on you, it can only really work to your advantage, you must be absolutely dominant in the air!
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.
kflair

Post by kflair »

I myself am pretty short 5'4" but I have play in over 30 leagues and have noticed that many of the larger players have trouple stopping and/or slowing down to turn. Make sure you practice that as well as speeding up. Practice this whole working on sprints and agility.
Aim for the big white box and miss the guy in the the middle
suckatsoccer
New User

Post by suckatsoccer »

Well last night was my first game. My friends said I did pretty good. At one point I had to take this guy one on one I was the only thing that stood between him and the goal. In my mind I said he is not going to get past me so I waited for him to make a move and get a little bit closer, and bam the ball was gone from his feet. It felt so good to stop a better player. I have tons of work to do still and I did get beat a couple of times but that just made me mad and want to do better. Then they stuck me in goalie that was a blast until I got hit between the legs ha ha ha. The whole crowd laughed ha ha ha I dont blame them I would have as well. Again thanks for all of your advice I will take it to heart and become better. Thanks!
ts8000
New User

Post by ts8000 »

Another thing that might help (besides working on pure foot speed and agility drills) is to think of playing soccer defense like playing b-ball defense. Use lateral quickness (shuffling) to cut off passing angles, use your body to jockey for position on 50/50 balls, watch the dribbler's torso/body language to help you keep in front of him. Hope this helps you.
soccerdynamite

Post by soccerdynamite »

:shock: holy crap ur a big man! i would say use ur long legs and practice running like take track or cross country at ur school u may not like it but u will see amazing results 8)
WHAT THE HELL? WHY DO THEY SCREW HENRY ALL THE TIME? IS IT CAUSE HE'S BLACK?
what happens to a soccer player that headbutts another player?

he starts eating babys 8)
suckatsoccer
New User

Post by suckatsoccer »

I am not in high school anymore. I started my soccer playing at a ripe old age of 23 ha ha.
soccerdynamite

Post by soccerdynamite »

haha lmao ok well i would just train like run in the morning to ur nearest park and then just practice!

or there is chocie 2 if ur really concerned about speed there is this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Speed-Training-Resi ... dZViewItem

yeah i kno its strange but it works! and u dont have to buy off ebay there are tons of sites and magazines tht sell them
WHAT THE HELL? WHY DO THEY SCREW HENRY ALL THE TIME? IS IT CAUSE HE'S BLACK?
what happens to a soccer player that headbutts another player?

he starts eating babys 8)
tevezaholic
Veteran Member

my tip

Post by tevezaholic »

you all might not agree with me but i am big and when fast players run at me i bump them hard and they lose they balance....might sound like a dirty move but thats what i do,but now i got some things to try cause i got some advise from the replies to the post i got which is similar to this one....im going to try the tips i got next practice.