How to defence against dribbling?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
cyxstudio

How should we stop a player trying to dribble pass you. A player can just push the ball pass you or make a faking and will make you off balance. i watch the professional games and to find out that they rarely dribble pass players, they choose to pass. So i still dun get it, if my opponent is good dribbler how shud i stop them?

BHSoccer9
Sophomore Member

I hope everyone can agree with me when I say, have patience. No matter where you are on the field, whether you are a defensive mid or an outside back, you have to have patience. When a player is dribbling up to you, take a defensive/staggered stance where you have one foot facing forward and one to the back. This should have your body facing one direction. As the player comes forward, move the back leg back first, followed by the lead leg; basically, you do a backwards sidestep.

If you are defending near the sideline have your stance be facing the sideline. This will cause the forward to go one way, sideline. When the forward does, start closing in on him, this will close his dribbling space down and stopping his progress. Make sure you have your eyes on the ball and not his feet. Watching his feet will cause most defenders to be faked out. Be aware of the ball and make sure he doesn't get down the line past you. At this point he will probably stop his run and look back or to the side, hopefully a teammate will be there to intercept any pass he makes to them.

If you are defending in the center midfield, position your stance so that he is forced to the side of his weaker foot, if you don't know his weak foot, you can probably say 75% of the time it is his right foot. When forced to use his weak foot, his passes or dribbling will be sloppy and you or a teammate can take advantage of that.

Hope this helps
BHS Soccer 06-07

17-0-1

STATE CHAMPS!!

1st in the STATE
2nd in the REGION
18th in the NATION

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

I'm going to move this to the defence section, as you are not asking a question on dribbling itself

cyxstudio

This post is already in the defence section already...?

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

cyxstudio wrote:This post is already in the defence section already...?
... she probably already moved it there... :wink:

sumsoccerkid

you can probably say 75% of the time it is his right foot.
umm im not sure but isnt it 75% of people are right handed/footed? so u would force him to his left(your right) or am i wrong on this?

SSK

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Unfortunately though, not everyones weaker foot is much weaker than the other, you need watch him very closely, always anticipating his moves and looking to see wen he gets a shot in, wen he gets the shot in, make sure you block, whichever foot its with, keep your eyes planted firmly on the ball, dont watch his foot, watch the movement of the ball, so if you go for the block or the tackle in the end, you do it accurately.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

thisisdard
Veteran Member

Tip1:This may not help you and Im sorry but, defending requires a lot of experience and a lot of failure in order to become great at it.

Yes, failure=being pwned ( :x ). Even experienced defenders are tricked by tricks that they have never seen before. If you are used to attackers beating you with their dribbling, you will eventually get used to that and learn from experience.

Tip 2: Dont bite right away. Dont put your foot forward for a block tackle/ steal because for dribblers, that is the sign to get past you. Why? because with one foot out of the way, you leave yourself unbalanced and make yourself easier to beat with a simple cut. With one foot away, you are giving the dribbler unguarded space to move into.

Tip 3:Some dribblers are bloody aggressive and will elbow and push you off. Dont count on the ref to blow his whistle on them. You need to do weights training so that you can have the advantage and strength over these guys.

*reminds me of the French from my progress log. :P

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

BHSoccer9 wrote: If you are defending near the sideline have your stance be facing the sideline.
i dont understand.....if you are facing the sideline wouldent he just go in on the inside,please explain :?
Oh crap,missed me bus!!

barcahooligan
Veteran Member

tevezaholic wrote:
BHSoccer9 wrote: If you are defending near the sideline have your stance be facing the sideline.
i dont understand.....if you are facing the sideline wouldent he just go in on the inside,please explain :?
I think he means using the sideline as a 2nd defender, pushing him to the outside creates more pressure on the attacking player and gives you a better chance of winning the tackle...
sig by 2brown347

tevezaholic
Veteran Member

now i understand what he means,he made it sounded like if he was saying face the sideline to me,thats why that idea of the attacker just going on the inside came to me.
Oh crap,missed me bus!!