Physical training; is it worth it?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Da Devil
Sophomore Member

Physical training; is it worth it?

Post by Da Devil » 16 Sep 2006, 19:20

Everyone knows that the most prized asset a footballer can have is his physical abilities. Speed, , balance, stamina, all great assets.

Players like Thierry Henry or Ronaldinho even defenders Rio Ferdinand or John Terry depend highly on their physical attributes.

A player with technique and no speed is hardly recognised as a good one. Only few pros are like that: Juan Roman Riquelme and Peter Crouch are those kind of players.

Speed and no technique doesen't really help either but with a little technique you MIGHT make it. Just ask David Bellion lol.

anyway this is all my opinion of course.

But the main question is: If you are a slow guy and you start doing these exercises can you ever become fast and agile? I doubt it, you will improve but not that much. Physical attributes are the hardest to improve IMO. I find it highly unprobable that someone slow will become a fast player just by doing these drills. Have you ever been the slowest on your team and just become the fastest one? Well have you? if someone says 'yes' I relly wont believe them.

I'm not really the slowest, But I do lack balance, acceleration and agility. When it comes to pace I can outrun anyone its the turning bit that gets me out of line and I doubt that a little running at cones is going to solve my problem as I have tried that before and it did little effect when I need a lot of effect.

comments please

fred-0

Post by fred-0 » 16 Sep 2006, 19:27

well yeah - it happened to me, i used to have teh best ball control in the school , but i was fat and slow - however thanks to the guys on the site - gave us some advice and im quicker and slimer :D:D - the best thing to do is to run - 3 times a weeek or somat like that

RonaldinhoSkills

Post by RonaldinhoSkills » 16 Sep 2006, 19:33

I used to be the fastest in my Year in like Years 7 to the end of Year 8. After then I got extremely slow. And now I'm ONE of the slowest but I got extremely good stamina where as before I had really bad stamina, I never run out of stamina unless my feet hurt or my body hurts or something.
Remember... Never do a skill twice, always be creative, after that, you'll own.

Da Devil
Sophomore Member

Post by Da Devil » 16 Sep 2006, 20:42

fred-0 wrote:well yeah - it happened to me, i used to have teh best ball control in the school , but i was fat and slow - however thanks to the guys on the site - gave us some advice and im quicker and slimer :D:D - the best thing to do is to run - 3 times a weeek or somat like that
okay I forgot to mention, weight cases don't count. You're slim and you're already slow.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 17 Sep 2006, 19:12

Actually, I used to be the girl who was always last in sprints, always last in 50 and 100m in track, and always really slow at accelerating. But now, after improving my explosiveness and working on my mechanics and my sprinting technique, I am reconized as one of the faster players on the team. It can happen...

But mostly what helped me was perfecting my sprint technique - I found out I was doing it all wrong - it was all downhill after that.

ageorge
Veteran Member

Post by ageorge » 18 Sep 2006, 01:14

Fitness is extremely important and should be thought of like that, if you want to advace to the next level of play you NEED it

prof_raza

Post by prof_raza » 19 Sep 2006, 12:59

I agree that you can not become 'fast'.

After injuring my ankle long back, I lost all the speed I had. No matter how much I trained and practiced, I could no longer run as fast as I once did. But what training did improve were my bursts.

And in football that is more important than running fast. After some focussed training, I saw myself beating the players to the ball as long as it was on a short distance.

If you can do this as a defender or a striker, it will work to your advantage.

Anyways, I play just behind the midfielders and usually sneak up front as the game builds up.

Even as a midfielder, I can burst into positions.

You have to appreciate that positioning is very important, it can help you make up for your lack of speed.

There might be barriers of speed that you may not be able to break no matter how much you train. But if you can always improve your bursts and reactions.

Just take a look at Ronaldo (the 'real' one). He may be fat, but you still can see him beating defenders to the ball with his ocassional bursts of speed.

If you are looking to improve your balance, acceleration and agility then go through the fitness forums, there are loads of exercises there that will help you do that.

If you want to improve your 'turning' then that will need some patience and focused training on your side. I learnt to do the 'shimmey past defenders' after watching Ronaldo do the same on video for hours. Then I went and practiced it alone for nearly three weeks. Then I tried pulling it off in matches.

Anyways, all the best.

PS: Were you joking about Rio Ferdinand ???? :shock: