Am i good enough to go pro

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
MiKeOnE29

Soccer4Life wrote: This is old (as you stated), but since you've thought out a reply, I'll give my feedback as well.

I agree with you. Probably no one on this forum will ever be pro, with an exception of maybe 1 or 2 players, tops. For a long while now I've been trying to explain the very same thing as you: professionals are superior genetically and through intense and planned training. But people always tell me I'm wrong and that's their opinion, but I laugh because I know they're not going to make it. People tell me I'm the best player my age. It doesn't matter to me, I don't know if I have the physical superiority to even be looked at. I've accepted that and I work on it as much as I can, but I don't kid myself, I look at things realistically. If you're 14, 15, 16 and you're asking help about dribbling, or instep drive problems, then you'll never go pro. You need to be developed and skilled way before then unless you're a genetic God. Skills themselves aren't important. You should have all your basic skills down by age 10 and some more complex ones by 12-13. Not saying that it isn't an ongoing process, but you shouldn't be learning whole new concepts after then. You need to spend your teenage years developing yourself in GAMES, and applying skills that you've familiarized yourself with over a span of YEARS not months.

I'm sure that someone will rebut this by saying well [insert pros name here] got picked up/didn't start until/actually played this sport, etc. Let me just say to anyone who was thinking of replying along those lines: can you really compare yourself to that person? Do you honestly think you're even close to them or ever will be?

That's all I have to say.
QFT

I agree with what you're saying and i was pretty much gonna post exactly what you've just said. I think some people this forum need to take alook at themselfs before they post alot of the stuff that they do, no names just in general. I mean ofcourse i havent seen anyone here play but to become a professional sportsman even at a low level, I.E football league 2, you have to be OUTSTANDING, mentally strong, dedicated and VERY lucky. when i ay outstanding i mean every game you plal yuo play well.

I dont want to sound rude or mean with what i'm saying here i just feel its ridiculas how so many people here think that they are the next henry or messi.

Just ty to make yourself as good as you can and see what happens, do it for yourself and your love of the game

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

When around 14 or 15, Frank Lampard was very overweight compared with average people his age, and he wasn't too good thats why he got released by Arsenal's youth and went to West Ham.
Lol if he was very overweight why was he playing for one of the best youth teams in the world. Anyway Frank Lampards father played for England anyway, so he was probably good since he was born. I understand how people are saying that most people will not be pro, which is true. But saying this to people really isnt going to help, self belief is important. To be completely honest, most proffesional players are born.

I know how they talk about it all coming down to training, but people like ronaldinho, cristiano ronaldo and kaka, all perfect examples, were born to play and no one on this forum will ever be anywhere near as good as them. They all started from a young age and were noticed as exceptional before they even had proper coaching, kaka was signed to sao paolo at 8 years old, ronaldo was the best player in his first club and moved to lisbon at 12, and ronaldinho i cant say an age but i know he was good from a ridiculously young age and his brother was a proffesional footballer.

Not to say training is important, but someone who is not that good and plays in a bad team and league could have the best coaches in the world and train for 10 years in an academy every day, and an untrained cristiano ronaldo who plays on the street would still be better. People can still train hard and become very fit and experienced in matches, but the skill and flair of the superstar players is natural.

Wanderer
Veteran Member

truesocceroo wrote: People can still train hard and become very fit and experienced in matches, but the skill and flair of the superstar players is natural.
That's a myth..skill and flair is gotten tru training..And goin to academies at age 8 or 12 ain't nothin special..it's the mentality that counts, not the natural ability..

expert
Site Admin

Interesting post, soccer4life, although I would like to add a couple of things. You are saying is that you have to be an incredible athlete and player to get signed. Yes, you have to be very fit, that's true and you need skills as well, but there's others factors involved.
In America, pro teams are looking for players who have proven themselves in college or one of the PSL leagues. I know a number of players who could in theory play in the MLS but are not in the system, that is they don't play in college or the PSL. It isn't just about 'who is the best' player and athlete. Unless you are in the system (and making a difference there) your chances are nil. As far as I know, nobody here is either playing for a top college or is involved in the PSL.
Overall, nobody here should even talk about pro soccer, unless you're a somebody at those levels that I mentioned. Your soccer resume, that's the way teams measure how good you are. I stronly belive that how impressive your resume is, has nothing to do with genetics. There's no way you can say that genetics play a role in your soccer resume. There's soooooo many things that affect how successful you are in soccer. All I have to say is, you have to work on it for years, as it doesn't happen overnight. In general, everybody here wants to become pro. Yeah, that's cool, but almost nobody here is determined enough to work for it. Now everybody will be like, 'nooo, not me, I'm different'. Ok, you say that today when you're 15 but do you think you'll be of the same opinion 5, 6 or 7 years later? You have to be commited in the long term especially in the US where most players get drafted in the later college years. Even so, what if you don't get signed right from college, what then? Well think about those things and then you can truthfully begin to understand how determined you really are.
Lastly, even if Frank Lampard was 300 pounds as a child, that doesn't mean sh*t. You're not Frank Lampard and you'll never be Frank Lampard so don't bring him or any other pro into the discussion.

J
Admin

Good post expert. Just curious though, what is the PSL? Or did you mean USL?

Rocky
Veteran Member

You're not Frank Lampard and you'll never be Frank Lampard
so you're saying that its impossible to reach fat lamps level?

and its a good point to use other professionals as an example, they are not
aliens that have reached the impossible, they are humans, just like you and me.
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do.

What the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve.

powell
English Meister

Rocky wrote:
You're not Frank Lampard and you'll never be Frank Lampard
so you're saying that its impossible to reach fat lamps level?

and its a good point to use other professionals as an example, they are not
aliens that have reached the impossible, they are humans, just like you and me.
no i think he's just saying its impossible to have the exact same tributes as lampard. He may become as good as lampard at level but never the same.

Expert is a strange character though so i could be wrong.

truesocceroo
Veteran Member

truesocceroo wrote:

People can still train hard and become very fit and experienced in matches, but the skill and flair of the superstar players is natural.

That's a myth..skill and flair is gotten tru training..And goin to academies at age 8 or 12 ain't nothin special..it's the mentality that counts, not the natural ability..
I think i said it wrong, i meant that some of the things players do, the subconcious things little flicks and such, ronaldinho a good example although he is not in form now, that sort of stuff just happens naturally, there is no amount of planning or forward thinking, i know people develop to play instinctively but some you can just see dont think and just do it. To be honest i was a bit wrong saying that natural talent is the be all and end all but it does show alot, mainly in younger players, when you see those 8 year old sensations on youtube and even ridiculous ones like that 4 year old signed for chelsea (maybe 5), there is no way they practice structured and learn the technique so well from such a young age, they must have some sort of natural talent.

HG9
New User

NEVER TELL ANYONE THEY CANT DO SOMETHING

Juve

thats bulls**t you may be good when ur 11,12 ,13 etc but when ur 16,17,18 its a different story

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

No need to post in all caps man.

Anyways, I never like to discourgage people from their dreams but lets be realistic here. The odds of going pro are slim you really need to have good skills and get a lot of exposure, go to camps especially those run by professional teams. I think AC Milan do something in the US. Play on a good club team, etc.

Also what defines pro? Semi-pro, amatur, full professional. Would you be happy playing in the low leagues such as the Ryman Leaugue in England or will you only settle for a top team in Spain or England?

We really don't know if your good enough to go pro. No one has seen you play just what you say on a message board. Not saying your a liar but its the internet, people post fake accomplishments all the time. I say show us a video of some games or something.

Rocky
Veteran Member

No need to post in all caps man.

Anyways, I never like to discourgage people from their dreams but lets be realistic here. The odds of going pro are slim you really need to have good skills and get a lot of exposure, go to camps especially those run by professional teams. I think AC Milan do something in the US. Play on a good club team, etc.

Also what defines pro? Semi-pro, amatur, full professional. Would you be happy playing in the low leagues such as the Ryman Leaugue in England or will you only settle for a top team in Spain or England?

We really don't know if your good enough to go pro. No one has seen you play just what you say on a message board. Not saying your a liar but its the internet, people post fake accomplishments all the time. I say show us a video of some games or something.
That you need skill in the modern game doesn't need to be true. If it was all about skill, not bragging off, then I would of been a pro a long time ago... The modern game consists mostly of strength and speed... and you wont Survive without it unless you're Zinedine Zidane. Of course, if you can combine skill, strength and speed, then you're unique. But today, players have to be smart, strong and fast.

Thats the difference between the professional level and the other ones.
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do.

What the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve.

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

the theme im picking up from all your posts is that you all believe what you want to hear

people are saying how to be a pro you have to be a "genetic god" (think i read that one) thats not true

im not saying you can be a slouch and be a pro but you certainly dont need to be an olympic athlete

if your talking about the elite pros (the kind you see in adverts) than yes they do have unbelievable physical qualities along with sheer talent, but not every pro player has ronaldo's legs so dont kid yourselves

point is people are saying if your not a fine specimin of the human race you have no chance? my theory is people are saying this to avoid the fact that talent comes into it and they cant face the fact that they simply dont/didnt make the grade and are pinning it on somthing else

dont really want to single out individuals, but they have to be informed

wanderer came out with "skill and flair is gotten tru training..And goin to academies at age 8 or 12 ain't nothin special..it's the mentality that counts, not the natural ability.. "

that is a load of bull, dont know what you mean by skill specifically but if you mean practicing techniques then ok but flair? you've got to be kidding, i'd love to meet anyone who learnt "flair" or maybe you dont actually understand what flair and natural ability are

and rocky... im sorry, "If it was all about skill, not bragging off, then I would of been a pro a long time ago" i just cant let that go

stregnth, speed and stamina can all be trained to an acceptable level, so if you really are "good" enough :roll: then surely somone other than yourself would have recognised this and you would have been helped to train whatever other shortcomings that you see prevented you

Big point is all of you say people cant be pro because of "genetics" or "mentality" where in reality the vast majority fail because they simply arnt good enough, nothing else, they just cant accept this and proceed to blame anything else

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.

Juve

its not about skills anyhow u see micah richards and gabriel abonghlahore w/e they don't have any technical abilities, you got to be lucky, i dont expect to be playing in england, it is sh*t overhere tbh, you people in the us or some other coutries think it might be the best league in the world, and im saying it is not, id rather be playing for a french club in league 2

ScottyBoy
Veteran Member

Juve wrote:its not about skills anyhow u see micah richards and gabriel abonghlahore w/e they don't have any technical abilities, you got to be lucky, i dont expect to be playing in england, it is sh*t overhere tbh, you people in the us or some other coutries think it might be the best league in the world, and im saying it is not, id rather be playing for a french club in league 2

:( bitter to the core :P

People who say something cannot be done are often surprised by others doing it.