Am i good enough to go pro

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
mufc21
Veteran Member

Am i good enough to go pro

Post by mufc21 » 03 Sep 2006, 00:22

I find i look through this site a lot and find a lot of useful things but i want to know if any of it is working. I am pretty good for my age. I can curl the ball when i take a free kick and everyone thinks im good at free kicks, i can dribble pretty well and do a couple of moves excellently. i am really good at long shots and my passing and vision is amazing according to people. My finishing is good, i can defend if i have to( i play cm) and i always play with heart. i probably left out a bit of things but do you think for 14 years old i am on my way to go pro.

I play 2-3 hours everyday, i started playing at 10 but seriously at 12 and i have a tryout for a USL team and one of the besthigh school football teams in Jamaica asked me to comeout to play for them the year they won the tournament although i moved and i do not live in Jamaica anymore. Is there any advice. please give me feedback. thanks.

Pokerized

Post by Pokerized » 03 Sep 2006, 01:08

Only you can really know if you're good enough to go pro, we won't be able to tell you from a short post listing only your strengths. You didn't list any weaknesses, didn't post any videos, and seemed to make yourself out to be better than you really are (like many people I've seen on this forum). Even if you WERE good enough to go pro, we still wouldn't be able to tell you because it largely depends on being in the right place at the right time. There are many players that are good enough to go pro that never make it because they're never spotted, or aren't outgoing enough to get noticed.

Good luck with your soccer career though.

And PS) I'm pretty sure your post said that you were 14, and that's a really young age to determine whether you're good at soccer anyway. I've seen people that were amazing players at 12, 13, and 14 start to become worse as they got older.
"Some people believe that football is a matter of life and death; I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
-Bill Shankly

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 03 Sep 2006, 21:32

Thanks for the support. i dont really have any weaknesses but i cant do some stuff really well. im pretty much a whole rounded player. im not amazing though. Ill send in a vid as soon as i get a cam. That will make it easier to judge. i think i can go pro but when i hear about people getting tryouts for big clubs younger than me i get discouraged because i think i play enough and im good enough. But thanks anyway.

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 » 04 Sep 2006, 01:57

to become pro you really have to stand out, but you are still young and time can either make you better or worse, depending on what you let it do.
i think with the right amount of practice you could do it. even though that amount is a lot.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

scene

hey

Post by scene » 04 Sep 2006, 16:36

well just as everyone said, we cant tell if your gonna go pro. im 14 as well and im not even thinking about pro yet, im playing right now to improve my weaknesses and perfect my good traits. all i kan say is just try your best and keep playing hard. if you keep playing with heart and nevr give up im sure you'll have a good chance. sorry if that was corny :D [/b]

Star

Post by Star » 09 Sep 2006, 15:08

Your not good enough to go pro. If you were good enough, you'd have been picked up by now. Simple but harsh reality.

I play in a youth setup, but still I dont have much of a chance of becoming pro, I still need ALOT of work before I can consider playing in my professional league.

If you were good enough, you would have been picked by now.
Its a large matter of being in the right place at the right time. Lucky if you will.

My definition of luck? Being in the right place to utilise it. Get out there and practise!

Jules Winnfield
New User

Post by Jules Winnfield » 09 Sep 2006, 16:45

Try out for the Columbus Crew, trust me we need all the help we can get!

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 09 Sep 2006, 20:06

where exactly is the columbus crew. I would love to play there beacuse it is in the MLS but i live in ottawa. are you on the team or something.

Jordan Bell
New User

Post by Jordan Bell » 09 Sep 2006, 20:25

Good Luck MUFC 21 i am in the same situation as u,

Don't listen to star who sounds like (no offence) he's got a bit of a pessimistic attitude.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 09 Sep 2006, 20:34

Star is not a pessimist. How many professional 14-year old do you know? Not many. I also agree with his point that instead of trying to "become pro" one should first focus on dominating in the league that he or she is currently playing in. Once you do that, move onto the adult level. If you think you can play pro, adult amateur soccer should be a piece of cake for you.

Jordan Bell
New User

Post by Jordan Bell » 11 Sep 2006, 08:53

I agree that you should compare yourself to other players in your league, but there are loads of professional 14 yr olds, you might have heard of Freddy Adu :D

touchshoot

Post by touchshoot » 11 Sep 2006, 09:46

hey mate this is a really hard topic to chat about seeing that there are so many anxious kids out there wetting themselves that they are not getting picked up at 12,13 and 14. remeber everything leads onto something else,for example every kid is looking for the big break from club to stardom. and the ones who really want to become stars dont get picked up at that very young age, they learn the more they wait and the amount of football they play in that time that they get noticed when they think there doomed. at the end of the day m8 its the patient ones who go pro :wink:

Jules Winnfield
New User

Post by Jules Winnfield » 12 Sep 2006, 00:26

mufc21 wrote:where exactly is the columbus crew. I would love to play there beacuse it is in the MLS but i live in ottawa. are you on the team or something.
I was kidding. Im not on the team but I live pretty close to their stadium. Its in Columbus, Ohio. We seriously suck. But my real advice is to hone your skills for a couple of years. Perfect all those skills that you seem to have a problem like left-footed shooting and such. Then go in for a trial. The MLS could always use a good new player. Good luck.

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 12 Sep 2006, 01:05

Jordan Bell wrote:there are loads of professional 14 yr olds
I would guess that kids under the age of 18 playing in a pro league are less than 1% of all the players in that league. And if you do some research you'll find out that most of these kids are usually not starters.
To get a contract at such an early age, you have to be involved in the youth national or olympic team. In the US/Canada, nearly all players in the MLS Draft are picked from college or the USL leagues.
Check the facts for yourself.

Jordan Bell
New User

Post by Jordan Bell » 12 Sep 2006, 10:08

Just cos u are not in the opening 11 does not mean u are not professional, in England we have academies for most clubs, who pick loads of players ranging from 9 or 10 yr olds upwards. This is probably different in the us, which is probably what caused this slight misunderstanding