What makes a good defender?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

It's all about how matured U are during the game. If U can calm Urself during the game, it'll calm the whole back four.

Get the timing right for tackles. The safest way to not getting fouls near the penalty box.

rileytricky
New User

its a game of the mind...Just learn to make the right decisions when to commit yourself to a chalenge and when not too .. Learing to stay goal side to the player at all times and make yourself know by attackers with your body strength on the ground and espcially the Air.

soccer11
Admin

all this is true, what also is true is to be aggressive. go after the other player like they just kicked your mom.

fir_nev

Not THAT aggressive mind U. For me, when I go in for the tackle, I make sure I put in 110% of it. No half-hearted ones.

opm
Sophomore Member

well everything has pretty much been covered so far great replies. however one trait that makes a good Defence man that i think was overlooked is vision. A good defender needs to make great use his or her pereferal vision ( using the far corners of ur eyes) to take notice of sneaky players and to pull offside traps. Leaderships is often a big help and lastly The ability to not just clear the ball but being able to pick out spaces from a distance and clearing the ball into those spaces can be the start of a deadly couter attack.
Life's a grave, dig it

kflair

Anticipation of where the ball is going to be and communication with the other defenders is very importent. Also the ability to read the game and your opponents to know what the opponents offence is trying to do is crucial. Perfect trapping and thability to send the ball up the field to space or one of your own players is a neccery skill.

Actually these skills are great for all players but esp fullbacks
Aim for the big white box and miss the guy in the the middle

opm
Sophomore Member

"Communication with other defence "^^^^ very good point especially for offsides plus full backs can see more of the field than mid or strikers
Life's a grave, dig it

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

fir_nev wrote:Not THAT aggressive mind U. For me, when I go in for the tackle, I make sure I put in 110% of it. No half-hearted ones.
That is a vital quality, especially for those last ditches tackles in the penalty area, wen u slide an attacker, you must make sure you go in 110%, otherwise hell score and if u take the man instead of the ball, you concede a penalty which he might miss.
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

fir_nev

Rulezzz wrote:That is a vital quality, especially for those last ditches tackles in the penalty area, wen u slide an attacker, you must make sure you go in 110%, otherwise hell score and if u take the man instead of the ball, you concede a penalty which he might miss.
Well, sometimes, I caught the leg of the player which resulted freekicks. But most of the time, my last ditch tackles go for a corner.

elitecenterback
New User

A good defender needs to be able to anticipate a pass, make a last second tackle, always win in 1 v 1, and win in the air. They must know when to try to get in front of a pass or if they cannot get to it. They also need to be leaders and speak for the team. A defender has to be agressive but smart about it. They need to be good at organizing their defensive line. They have to play quickly with the ball and yet remain calm. Defense is probably the most difficult position and requiers you to be almost impecable.