What makes a good defender?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Socker
New User

What makes a good defender?

Post by Socker » 31 Aug 2006, 20:13

What do you guys think makes a good defender? Like, what things would you, or do you look for in a defender? I don't really mean "Being at a 45 degree angle to the attacker" or things like that, but what defines a good defender. For example, you can spot a good striker by how he dribbles around opponents, shoots at the goal, positions himself, etc. but what makes a good defender good?

I don't know if I really put this question forth very well, and I'm pretty sure it's not already posted on this board, as I've read through nearly everything haha. Any body have an idea? Because I want to be recognized as a GOOD defender and reading some of the defender posts have helped.

Sorry if this is a weird post heh

BenAMsoccer

Post by BenAMsoccer » 31 Aug 2006, 20:57

Im a striker not a defender, but I know enough to answer your question. The most important quality in a defender is intelligence, a defender who's not fooled by skilled dribbling and knows what to do with the ball, and how to do it. I think the greatest attribute overlooked when looking for a defender is speed. Can you imagine if your defenders were just as fast as your strikers?

Socker
New User

Post by Socker » 31 Aug 2006, 22:06

Thanks alot for the response!

I agree with your post, it makes sense. Intelligence and speed, can't really believe I didn't think of that lol. thanks for replying, helped out!

finny06

Post by finny06 » 01 Sep 2006, 17:14

also , if you have any friends that play upfront , or are skilled , ask to go to the park and play with them and practice with him , understand how the shooters mind worked

belija91
Veteran Member

Post by belija91 » 10 Sep 2006, 00:40

:wink:
What the mind of man can conceive and believe, it can achieve

Sputnik

Post by Sputnik » 10 Sep 2006, 00:58

belija91 wrote::wink:
belija91 wrote:gregfdsg
if you post anything more like this im afraid you will have to be banned man... if this is unintentional then please try to post more usefully, just posting a wink is unacceptable :wink: . of course if it is intentional and you carry on then your ip will be banned. hope this is a misunderstanding :)

sputnik
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

Post by karlofootball10 » 10 Sep 2006, 22:15

BenAMsoccer wrote:Im a striker not a defender, but I know enough to answer your question. The most important quality in a defender is intelligence, a defender who's not fooled by skilled dribbling and knows what to do with the ball, and how to do it. I think the greatest attribute overlooked when looking for a defender is speed. Can you imagine if your defenders were just as fast as your strikers?
absolutely right.

also, a defender that can get rid of the ball qyuckly is a great defender. as a striker, this drives me mad. right when i get close to him he passes it, makes me feel dumb. not making mistakes is a big one for defenders as well. you are the last line preventing forwards from scoring, one slip up and the striker has a clear path to the goal.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

milanese
Veteran Member

Post by milanese » 09 Oct 2006, 02:35

Positioning and Anticipation have to be the big ones. Being in the right place at the right time to intercept passes and making well timed tackles. Of course the play of a defender isn't limited to winning the ball on the ground and in the air, but also starting attacks. Being calm on the ball, and good passing helps aswell.

Watch Nesta or Terry for a game. It's not as obvious as good shooting and dribbling, but good defenders can be recognized aswell.

Soccer4Life
Guide Goddess

Post by Soccer4Life » 04 Nov 2006, 19:01

In my opinion, simplicity makes a good defender. I think that you are pretty dang good if you get the ball consistantly from the opposing player 9/10 times. Other than getting the ball, you also need to be very quick, agressive, and be able to anticipate what the attcker will do next. You don't need to worry so much about complex skills, or dribbling. Just get the ball and make a good pass to start a play for your team. You will get noticed if you constantly do this.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 05 Nov 2006, 09:48

To be one of the useful defenders, here are the attributes we must have:

1. Anticipation
2. Aggression
3. Confidence
4. Command and Control
5. Positioning
6. Patience
7. Bravery (in fact, the whole defence depends on this)
8. Smart in split-second decision-making

For me, a good defender is a player who can sense early signs of danger while the opponents are building their attack. He can read the forwards' off-the-ball runs and will position himself at the receiving end of the attack which usually results in a shot or a header on goal.

For me, I'm not the fastest of defenders but I've nicked the ball away from wingers alot of times even when they are alot faster than me. It's the ability to use any part of the body to divert the ball away from the ball carrier so that U or Ur teammates will have a chance to steal the ball away from him.

soccerfool2391
Sophomore Member

Post by soccerfool2391 » 03 Dec 2006, 04:20

Intelligence,Indurance,STRENGTH, and speed.

amernazri
New User

Post by amernazri » 03 Dec 2006, 16:26

As a defender i feel that its important to be able to read passing patterns, through balls and to always remain behind the attackers, in order to be able to put a foot in to intercept a shot. You also have to be able to make desicions quickly, and to also know when to jockey, and when to go in and tackle. Stamina and Diligence are probably the two most important factors for me.

Cheers.

englishplayer

Post by englishplayer » 12 Dec 2006, 22:39

I think intelligence is a big part of it because you have to know when to pass who to pass to because if you do something stupid it could easily mean a goal. Other than that you have to be able to read a play well and anticipate what will happen. Positioning is also key as a defender.

arvix
Sophomore Member

Re: What makes a good defender?

Post by arvix » 13 Dec 2006, 17:33

The most important thing is reding the game.And to have read game perfect,you'll need very big experience.

2nd thin is tactic.You need watch many profssional football matches(you can download them in the i-net,if you haven't itv).Watch wat does defenders do in the different situations.

3rd Is Tacling Stamina Passes and something like that.

P.S.After games make the list,in witch situations you play good and in whitch not so good.In training grind situations,in witch you're bad(I do something like that).

Mattsta

Post by Mattsta » 04 Jan 2007, 01:55

Well what makes a good defender is someone that is smart with their decisions in making tackles and some1 who knows how to correctly intercept passes and then scan the field for their own players and deliver it up to the midfield either by passing, volleying, kicking the ball etc. Also bravery plays a major part in defending as someone mentioned earlier because if you are not a brave defender the attackers will see this weakness in you and use it against you by using skills and stuff to get around you knowing that u might be too afraid to make a tackle and break a nail! lol!
THE|new|GENERATION|of|FREESTYLERS|are|BORN|