Professional defending vs. High school/Premier Defending

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

Hello again everyone....

As I was watching some games from the EPL and La Liga after a highschool DEFENSIVE practice week I noticed that the styles of defence that highschools/Clubs use is very different from what the pro's do.... In highschool and Premier competitions, defenders and midfielders get right out in your face (1-2 feet away) and try and stick you to get the ball with other people near you pressuring as well.... HOWEVER...in the EPL and other leagues...i notice that the defenders always seem to give a bit more space to whoever has the ball unless in certain situations. Why do the Pro's play a more loose defensive system that younger players tend to... JW? thanks in advance :)

Howard

In high school games, players aren't as skillful and they sometimes find difficulty in distributing the ball or relieving pressure. So defenders keep on putting pressure on the attackers.
I'm playing in the under 14 league (div. 1) in Hong Kong. All we have to do most of the time is to boot the ball up the field . Defenders never see where they are kicking the ball to. Midfielders usually kick the ball to the strikers. And once the strikers get hold of the ball they will usually dribble all their way to the goal. I'm not saying that we don't pass. It's just that you rarely see wall passes or 5 successful passes in a row.
If u see the professionals playing football, it's totally different. Most players are aware of the defenders around them. It is relatively easy for them to dodge away from a charging defender. That's why defenders normally waits for the attacker to make his first move. Another reason is that the players pass the ball around more quickly thus relieving pressure exerted by the opposition. If the defenders keep on putting maxium pressure, they will be out of breath before half time.
A minor reason is the quality of the pitches. Our league plays in pitches of really bad quality. When it rains, the pitch gets very muddy and the ball bounces everywhere which makes passing more difficult

ageorge
Veteran Member

its simple, professionals are the best of the best when you get in their face and stab they will just go right by you making you look like a fool, the best way to defend is it shadow them at an angle and if they make a bad touch then go for it if you are sure you will get it, otherwise you just pressure them into passing or making a mistake

****** Professional players are very effiecient at passing the ball and constant high-pressure would wear down the defense and make it easy for them to score, that is why they get a little more space.
Last edited by ageorge on 12 Sep 2006, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

In high school aged games, if enough pressure is put on by the defense then they are nearly certain to force mistakes and turnovers.

In the professional leagues the players will just pass around a high pressure defense until they find an opening to attack.

The size and quality of the pitches plays a bit of factor as well, but overall that pretty much sums it up.

mewantgood
Sophomore Member

How do you actually high school defend? Do you just get really close and dive in for the tackle?

Enjoythis469
Sophomore Member

highschool defending means standing and jockeying the attacker with the ball from 3-4 feet away (without stabbing-but sometimes people do). Whereas pro defenses allow players 3-4 meters of space.