how to face the attacker?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
owensglory

this is from http://expertfootball.com/training/tackling.php:

Containing (jockeying)
When containing an attacker you must lower your center of gravity by bending your knees and leaning forward. Backpedal if the attacker moves sideways. NEVER FACE A DRIBBLER STRAIGHT ON, because he will put the ball between your legs or he may run by you. You won't have the time to make a complete 180-degree turn. Instead, approach the ball carrier at a 45-DEGREE ANGLE FORCING HIM TOWARDS THE SIDELINE. Be prepared to move laterally with your opponent, do not just lunge at him.

i'm not fully understand what does it mean,is this statement just for when defending an attacker on the sideway?what about in the centre(the position where defensive midfielders like keane,vieira face the attackers most of the time).Do they face the attacker at an angle of 45-degree ?it seems not reasonable.can anyone show me video about how to contain an attacker?

Thanks

soccer11
Admin

you have to turn your body because if you dont you're just going to get nutmegged all the time. come at them with your shoulder kind of facing their chest but not all the way turned just about a 45 degree angle. and to decide which way to turn? turn the way where you would be forcing them to their weak foot. hope it helps

owensglory

what is nutmegged?

Morgoth

owensglory wrote:what is nutmegged?
Getting nutmegged means that someone puts the ball between your legs.
Must suck to be you

thierryhenry14

owensglory you didn't know what nutmegged means?
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

floater

wow
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

floater

hey but i dont blame u
to me it really doesnt matter
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

owensglory

nutmegged........nutmegged....nutmegged
i 'll remember that starting from now :lol:

owensglory

back to the topic,if we face the attacker 45 degree,wont we be nutmegged also?

floater

yeah u might
but highly unlikely
its a lot harder when facing 45 degrees
picture it ur self
i'll try to get a picture for u

thierryhenry14

yea it is a bit harder at a 45 degree angle cause if he tries to kick it between ur legs it'll prolly hit one of them and screw the move up. If you notice him looking at your feet alot, close them, forcing him to go around you
Image (Thanks Kevin R9)

Sometimes in football you just have to score goals -Thierry Henry-

soccerchild27

If you come at the attacker at a 45 degree angle you can force him to one way, preferably to the outside. Your job as the fist defender is to dely and contain the attacker. It's okay if you get beat as long as you have a second defender to help you close the attacker down and leave him nowhere to go. The second defender should give you verbal direction telling you which way to force him. The second defender should be slightly off your shoulder or a little more depending on the other attackers, you don't want to get split. I hope you know what split is but if you don't, just ask...

Hope this helps.
Image Credit to stephez

"Train and never stop dreaming.If you have a dream, you must give EVERYTHING for it."-Ronaldinho

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

The 45-degree stance is to help us turn when the attacker pushes the ball past us. This stance is only to be done when the attacker has full control on the ball while he's dribbling.

milanese
Veteran Member

With a 45 degree stance you are leading the attacker one way. Instead of letting the attacking go through the middle you'll jockey him towards the sideline for example.

If an attacker does a feint or something, you bite somewhat and he puts it through you're legs, you can still turn, and if you're on your toes, there's a good chance you'll be between the ball and the attacker still, so you can shield it until there's someone to pass it off to.

You do often have another defender there for support aswell, depending where you are on the field. Defending is as much a team effort as an individual thing.

Watch defenders (actually defenders, not defensive mid's!) defend attackers, and you should see what a jockeying position looks like.