Uses for smaller balls (other than dribbling and juggling)

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
harmerdinho
Sophomore Member

Well, I juggle and dribble with a tennis ball often but was wondering if anyone has found other effective uses for smaller balls (below size 3) that improve your ability to do that specific technique when using a size 5.
I'm thinking short passing, shooting, outside of the foot, possibly heading.

Ronaldinho10

Go and kick a smaller ball off a wall over and over with different parts of your foot. Control it with different pasrts of your foot and practice turning on the ball with different parts of your foot.
Practice shooting with a smaller ball , it all helps.
Basicually just do everything you'd do with a size 5 ball :D
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.

harmerdinho
Sophomore Member

Thanks for the reply.

I've found i can pass a tennis ball barefoot but in cleats as my foot is raised slightly i only get contact with the very bottom of my arch.
I tried the outside of my foot but i'm not sure if tennis balls are big enough to get that thrust that you need to curve it. Anyway, i'll keep practicing.

Ronaldinho10

Yeh man keep practicing and your skills will greatly improve. If your practicing passing and outside curve etc. I think a mini ball would be better than a tennis ball.
Without doubt.
Credit AC _Milan>* for the sig.

soccerchild27

if your having trouble making contact you might want to try using indoor boots. The little that i've done with a mini ball and tennis ball was easier when i tried doing it in indoor boots. I'd try that until you got the hang of it then you could try cleats....MY 2 CENTS^^^ :D

Hey i saw this in another thread...do you guys think that you shuold learn to juggle with a smaller ball before or after you get really good with a size 5?

personally i think it makes more since to practice with a little ball first even if it is more frustrating until you get the hang of it. Although switching from small ball to size 5 might be hard to do in season. Because at games and practice you'd use a size five and then alone use a small ball it probably wouldn't help. Correct me if i'm wrong. Opinionate yourself!!
Image Credit to stephez

"Train and never stop dreaming.If you have a dream, you must give EVERYTHING for it."-Ronaldinho

interista

practice controling with different parts of ur body i.e. chest thigh etc
Thanks jthursto for the sig

ajc
The Philly Flyer

I'm not sure that just practicing everything with a tennis ball is a good idea. Passing a tennis ball that is motionless in the grass is far different from passing a staionary size 5. I think striking a tennis ball from a stand still at all is not a good idea.

However, practicing volleys with a tennis ball could help a lot. It teaches you to make the correct contact with each strike. Same goes with controlling a tennis ball out of the air. Although heading and chesting a tennis ball can be a bit awkward.

harmerdinho
Sophomore Member

I think the short passing has helped to be honest but only on smooth, flat surfaces because the grass just sends the ball off course so its impossible to know if you're doing it right. Anyway, after passing a tennis ball on a smooth surface I found passing my size 1 (which i used to use for this) much easier.

harmerdinho
Sophomore Member

ajc wrote:I'm not sure that just practicing everything with a tennis ball is a good idea. Passing a tennis ball that is motionless in the grass is far different from passing a staionary size 5. I think striking a tennis ball from a stand still at all is not a good idea.

However, practicing volleys with a tennis ball could help a lot. It teaches you to make the correct contact with each strike. Same goes with controlling a tennis ball out of the air. Although heading and chesting a tennis ball can be a bit awkward.
ajc, can you explain what you mean by different, cos' it's definitely harder to strike smoothly through the ball, or do you mean something else. I mean, I'm guessing any pro would be better at passing a tennis ball then a non-pro without having tried it before so surely practicing this will help if only a little.