Can anyone make a knuckle and dip guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
olats_ka_pare
New User

hi, i'm new to the forum, and i've been reading all the posts about this technique, but no one has made a guide about this. Hope that someone is great and kind enough to make a guide! :D

A-man147

Well I dont play forward, or even outfield but I know to add the dip, yu have to put your non kicking foot ahead of the ball a little, but I'll let someone more qualified put up the guide.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

Bobton
Sophomore Member

when I kick a shot with topspin I push it forward along the ground a little before I follow through. That seems to be the only way I can do it...

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

when you strike the ball, lift your knee slightly and feel your foot wrap up around the ball. the follow through is very important also, when you strike the ball, let your foot come up as it leaves your foot.

not exactly a full guide, but some starting points :wink:
Hala Galacticos

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Is there anyone that can make an effective guide on knuckle-balling a football. Today I was filming free kicks with my friends and I tried to really hit major bend on the ball and i felt it hit my foot kinda weird and i looked up at the ball after my follow through and it was knuckling around with no spin and i was amazed because I have never actually done it high enough and far enough to see it dipping around.However it didn't go in it just went kinda straight and wide of the far post. Ill try to get the video on here asap. Need to get my camera back this sunday.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Sorry, I can't make the guide because I'm also wondering how it's done. Thanks though, cfrealmadrid, that's helping somewhat. Anyone here have a nice shot/know how to make it knuckle?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Well I can get this sometimes, the only thing I can say is that it is much easier to do when the ball is rolling forward or slightly bouncing. Also it can help if you lean back very slightly when you shoot, but not too much or the ball will fly over the goal. It's really difficult to explain, and I can only get it to work less than half the time, so that's most of the information I can offer.

Oh and by the way, A-man147 said that you should have your non-kicking foot ahead of the ball, but I actually find that the opposite works for me. I let the ball get a little farther ahead than I would have it for a regular shot, and that way I feel like I am scooping the ball from underneath and adding top spin more.

If I ever figure out how to really get this consistently I'll try to write a guide, but don't hold your breath. Anyone else with other tips?

sumsoccerkid

To add no spin making it knucle, you have to hit it DEAD on in the middle.. and i mean dead on. Instead of following through to teh sides(for curve) you have to follow straight where u want the ball to go.. meaning ur acually leaping forward with the ball.

To add topspin i found it easiest wiht a lob...and u hit it in the middle but let ur foot roll up on the ball.. so ur hittin it on an upwards angle. It is hard to explain.

SSK

konlly
New User

its really strange for me i curl my toes into my shoes which is really strange but i can do it 100 % of the time
my friend tried that and it didnt work.. just try experimenting some of these ideas

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Curling your toes isn't strange to do, it's actually a very good technique for when you are shooting. When you curl your toes you have to lock your ankle, so it can be beneficial to do this when shooting.

zizou10-5

to make it dip i hit at the bottom of the ball and follow through, to knuckle it i hit the middle of the ball and my follow thoruhg is just natural.
Th dip follow through is u follow through more like kung fu kick, its hard to hit it like C Ronaldo unless its a free kick, so like this

[img]"C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\user\My%20Documents\My%20Received%20Files\My%20Pictures\9545285wp.jpg"[/img]

ballackfan
Veteran Member

sumsoccerkid wrote:To add no spin making it knucle, you have to hit it DEAD on in the middle.. and i mean dead on. Instead of following through to teh sides(for curve) you have to follow straight where u want the ball to go.. meaning ur acually leaping forward with the ball.

To add topspin i found it easiest wiht a lob...and u hit it in the middle but let ur foot roll up on the ball.. so ur hittin it on an upwards angle. It is hard to explain.

SSK
Yes, that's how, pretty simple only by adding more and more repetition to your shots only you'll get better. I have no problem doing it at all, only sometimes if I don't hit central enough it does not work.

Lexo797

Yeah, I second SSK's post.

Hitting a knucle ball in soccer is like hitting a floater in volleyball if anyone is familiar with that. Its when you hit the ball right on the nozzle (in volleyball) while serving, and the ball goes all over the place. Very difficult to receive, let alone return.

So, yeah. You need to hit it dead in the center and follow through up if I'm not mistaken.
5 out of 4 people have difficulty with fractions.

EnSoUl
Veteran Member

if you want the ball to dip then you must understand how it does so, notice that when you curl the ball the spin is going to the side, hence the ball is as well. if you his the ball straight on, in the middle, follow through striaght then the ball will go forwars without any spin on it. when the ball is at this stage the air flowing over it comes from all sides but comes more powerfuly from the top because of gravity, then the dippin occurs. Just take a look at roberto carlos's free kick against france, that kick is basicaly the same as dipping except it moved from side to side, but his free kick and dipping have one thing in comman, the ball had literaly no spin on it, my bad if this didn't make sense it's my first post :D

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

EnSoUl wrote:if you want the ball to dip then you must understand how it does so, notice that when you curl the ball the spin is going to the side, hence the ball is as well. if you his the ball straight on, in the middle, follow through striaght then the ball will go forwars without any spin on it. when the ball is at this stage the air flowing over it comes from all sides but comes more powerfuly from the top because of gravity, then the dippin occurs. Just take a look at roberto carlos's free kick against france, that kick is basicaly the same as dipping except it moved from side to side, but his free kick and dipping have one thing in comman, the ball had literaly no spin on it, my bad if this didn't make sense it's my first post :D
If you are talking about the outside curve famous free kick, that had MASSIVE amounts of spin on it! That ball totally went the opposite way it was kicked. It had a lot of spin on it...

You made sense most of your post, until you said R.Carlos' free kick had no spin.

Dipping has top spin on it. It was already mentioned before on how to do this. If I just blasted a shot with no spin uncontrolled, it would go over the bar and not dip until the shot runs out of power and starts falling to the ground. If you shoot it with no spin and it starts to dip, it's usually that the ball is starting to fall from the kick you gave it. When putting topspin on the ball, you give it dip. It may not be too noticeable, but if the follow through has a brush up, it will give the ball topspin. This was already stated above... :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin