Reading Penalties.

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
A-man147

Reading Penalties.

Post by A-man147 » 01 Aug 2006, 01:17

ok so this is a thread for all goalkeepers and also players who would want to know what happens in the goal keepers mind on penalties!

I was at practice and we had a ex-pro running it, and he did this thing with me on how to read penalties. First off:

The run up: Where does the player start his run? Say he is a right footer, and say there is a clock around the ball, you being 6 pm. Say the player starts at around 1pm, it means he is going to shoot to the left (keepers right). If he starts at around 2-2:30pm, it means he will shoot right (keepers left). Be warned it doesnt mean he WILL shoot that way but it is statistics, it is harder for the player to shoot the other way if he starts in that postion ,ie. he starts at 1pm and shoots right, keepers left, cause the hip doesnt usually swing that way, but if he does its no problem because it is much harder to hit the target.

Hips: The hips are a main thing to look at when deciding your penalty but this is more advanced because you dont make your guess before the shoot, you make it half a second before, so your reflexes must be really good. The hip will always swing to the direction the player will shoot, so if you see the hip swinging toward the right thats where he will shoot, practice this a lot to get the hang of it, you dont even have to save it just sit in the middle of the net and have someone shoot penalties while you observe.

Landing foot: This is the best way to decide where the shooters is aiming but also the hardest, you must be very quick, and have great reflexes. Right before the player shoots, look at his landing foot and where its pointing, he will always point to the dierction he wants to go unless he forces himself to move it, but as soon as you see the foot point to a dierction your reflexes must kick in and jump to that area, because you wil have no time for anything else, the only time you have is the time it takes for his leg to swing.

Follow all these routines and you will be a huge favourtie to win the penalty battle. Here are some statistics that will help you in saving a penalty:

- In the 1998 World Cup players usually (70%) shot to the oppiste corner from their shooting foot, ie. a right footed player shot to his left (keepers right).

- A well struck penalty into the top self of the net is a 100% goal even if its a ameteur player vs a pro keeper.

- And players looking to fool keepers with these points above, only the really good and experinced keepers will know them, so you make the judgement.

Any Questions, dont hesitate to ask![/b]
Last edited by A-man147 on 01 Aug 2006, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

interista

Post by interista » 01 Aug 2006, 01:22

nice post dude! i think someone should give this dude some pretty stars for this. and maybe make it a sticky
Thanks jthursto for the sig

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth » 01 Aug 2006, 08:30

Very nice :D
Informative for both outfield players and goalkeepers :)
Must suck to be you

ziem
Sophomore Member

Post by ziem » 01 Aug 2006, 10:22

what do you do if the guys shoots with his offstep?? (like gerrard did in the FA cup final)

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 01 Aug 2006, 15:12

ziem wrote:what do you do if the guys shoots with his offstep?? (like gerrard did in the FA cup final)
When he wants to shoot with his offstep he will stand at 2pm, I forgot to say if the player stands there it is non-readable, he could go anyway, so if he stands there just guess a side, it is very hard to save the offstep but, its even harder to score them.

And I also fogot to mention its only possible to read if the player wants to shoot to the middle by his landing foot.
Image KEvinR9

"In 1969 I gave up woman and alcohol. It was the worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best

soccerdynamite

Post by soccerdynamite » 30 Sep 2006, 16:41

u no wht i do 2 fake out the goalie. i play both possesion striker and goalie so i kno the pressure when the striker shoots on u. but when i shoot i get at a angle which the goalie already knos its going right of him. then once i get 2 the ball u twist ur foot open so it goes 2 the far side. trust me it always works.
WHAT THE HELL? WHY DO THEY SCREW HENRY ALL THE TIME? IS IT CAUSE HE'S BLACK?
what happens to a soccer player that headbutts another player?

he starts eating babys 8)

ageorge
Veteran Member

Post by ageorge » 25 Nov 2006, 02:19

You should watch the eyes, Im no goal keeper but I've made some awesome saves reading their eyes.

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 25 Nov 2006, 07:32

ageorge wrote:You should watch the eyes, Im no goal keeper but I've made some awesome saves reading their eyes.
sorry, but that is exactly what NOT to do. The eyes are really decieving, your never really reading the eyes therefore not reading the penatly the eyes looks one way but the mind is going the other..it means your just guessing.
Image KEvinR9

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 25 Nov 2006, 07:35

soccerdynamite wrote:u no wht i do 2 fake out the goalie. i play both possesion striker and goalie so i kno the pressure when the striker shoots on u. but when i shoot i get at a angle which the goalie already knos its going right of him. then once i get 2 the ball u twist ur foot open so it goes 2 the far side. trust me it always works.
but if you do that and the keeper watches your hips it will be really obvious, cause your whole torso will turn and therfore readable.
Image KEvinR9

Deaner
New User

Post by Deaner » 31 Aug 2007, 08:49

I play both striker and keeper and form experience i can tell you that these will work maybe...maybe 1 out of 10 times for a penalty. You can watch the players eyes, body, feet, hands, hips or whatever you want but if you go by these rules you will nto find the outcome very endearing.

I dont like sounding like a pessimist but penalty shots are all about reactions and luck for a keeper.

Rulezzz
Veteran Member

Post by Rulezzz » 31 Aug 2007, 14:47

Have to say its great to see more goalkeepers on these forums now :)
CRYSTAL PALACE FC
keller8
"If you don't believe in yourself why should anyone else?" Andrei Shevchencko.

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 31 Aug 2007, 15:16

Hehe, I think this is our only keeper here now. :wink:

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 31 Aug 2007, 17:17

Deaner wrote:I play both striker and keeper and form experience i can tell you that these will work maybe...maybe 1 out of 10 times for a penalty. You can watch the players eyes, body, feet, hands, hips or whatever you want but if you go by these rules you will nto find the outcome very endearing.

I dont like sounding like a pessimist but penalty shots are all about reactions and luck for a keeper.
yes, but the whole thing about penalty shots is to give urself the best possible chance to save...i have seen great results in the above technique.
Image KEvinR9

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 31 Aug 2007, 17:20

A-man147 wrote:
Deaner wrote:I play both striker and keeper and form experience i can tell you that these will work maybe...maybe 1 out of 10 times for a penalty. You can watch the players eyes, body, feet, hands, hips or whatever you want but if you go by these rules you will nto find the outcome very endearing.

yes, but the whole thing about penalty shots is to give urself the best possible chance to save...i have seen great results in the above technique.
Hey A-Man! You've been gone for a while (I don't even know if you posted since I was on here). Welcome back, hope you stay!
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

A-man147

Post by A-man147 » 01 Sep 2007, 15:48

thanks...yeah ill be posting more often now :wink:
Image KEvinR9