Hocus Pocus guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
FreddyDuff
Sophomore Member

Hocus Pocus

I saw a video of Ronaldinho do this trick ages ago for Gremio and saw a few others doing it recently so decided I'd give it a go. After quite a bit of practice I can pull this off quite often now and thought I'd share it.

From the "Joy" Joga Bonito Ad

This is the vid of Ronaldinho doing the trick I stole from Croationblood1 so credit to him and thanks

This is Wilhelmsson doing the trick

When I started learning it I watched the video of Ronaldinho doing it as I thought his was by far the best looking version, though probably hardest too. He seems to get more movement and exaggeration than Wilhelmsson. This is what I got. I find this particular move easier with my right foot so left-footers switch the instructions.

1. Begin standing behind the non-moving ball (to begin with). Then step forward quickly and plant your left leg in front of the ball leaving enough space for the ball to pass behind that leg.

2. Now "catch" the ball with the instep of your right foot and drag it behind your standing leg. Don't push too hard or you'll lose the ball.

3. As you do this you should be leaning slightlyleft and your weight be on your standing leg. This makes more room for you to flick the ball round and back the other way.

4. As you're dragging the ball move your foot round to the other side of the ball and plant it on the outside of the ball. When you plant your foot try and have the entire sole of your foot touching the ground so that you are kicking your foot flat with a snapping motion.

5. If done correctly the ball will flick back in the opposite direction. Ole

As you get better at the move plant your foot (1.) further to the left of the ball which means you will have to drag the ball further and it will be harder to get the ball around your standing leg, but the movement will be greater and it will look better and wrong-foot the defender more.

[/b]

I've found the most important thing to pulling the hocus pocus off is the angle of your feet. For example, if you're right footed you should have your feet and body turned to the right. Once you do this you'll find the hocus pocus is no problem. You might even say it's easy. ;)[/b]
Last edited by FreddyDuff on 05 Sep 2006, 22:00, edited 11 times in total.

arminho09

thats not Wilhelmsson thats beckham..great guide though

Magicfeet

I don't mean to appear rude, but Beckham isn't one for doing tricks... especially difficult ones such as this. I rather think it is Wilhelmson (sp?).

FreddyDuff
Sophomore Member

Yea I can't imagine Beckham doing that. I looked at the wmv. file of it I have and it definately is Wilhelmsson wearing the Anderlecht shirt. Btw, if anyone has any ideas on how to make the gif. files bigger i'll do it cause these are tiny!

arminho09

i seen a video that looks just like that and its beckham doin it

MBanić

arminho09 wrote:i seen a video that looks just like that and its beckham doin it
No it's not. Look closer, It's Will,

mak9

this move is best when done on a run (not standing) and done quickly....

its both hard and very dangerous to pull it off in a competitive game, cause if the defender screws up, he can seriously injure you

elastico
New User

arminho09 wrote:i seen a video that looks just like that and its beckham doin it
LOL
Football’s not a matter of life and death — it’s much more serious than that.

FreddyDuff
Sophomore Member

Made the gif.s bigger now, not Beckham.

I said do the trick with a still ball to begin with until you get better at least. As for the defender injuring you, the defender should not be close enough to tackle you for that reason and so you can get the ball back on the side it begins with

Magicfeet

Post Rated: FreddyDuff - 4 Stars

It was a good first post to start with, but the constant revisions have made it a great one. It's informative, with visual aids and a step by step guide on learning the trick (which I'm in the process of doing at the moment).

Keep it up, m'boy! :D

scene

hey great guide ive never tried this move and i think i will try it. thanx alot and once again great guide :D

the dribbler

its called hocus pokus not reverse elastico or flip flap. reverse elastico is where u cut ball inside and then move it outside, flip flap is elastico,.....

great guide though, it's awesome :D :D :D 8) 8) 8) 8) :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :wink:
Hello!

FreddyDuff
Sophomore Member

thanks for the rating :D

Isn't the move where you cut inside then out called the matthews?

I think different places have different names for it. hehe. Reverse flip-flap was what I saw it called on English sites though I have heard it called Hocus Pocus too. :?

Morgoth

Heres another clip of that move. Its after 1:50 min
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA1IHwOJScw

And its commonly known as hocus pocus and not reverse elastico/flip flap.
Must suck to be you

elastico
New User

Morgoth wrote: And its commonly known as hocus pocus and not everse elastico/flip flap.
Yup, a reverse elastico often refers to the inside-out version of the move.
http://www.expertfootball.com/forum/vie ... php?t=5607
As for the defender injuring you, the defender should not be close enough to tackle you for that reason and so you can get the ball back on the side it begins with
I actually like this move when the defender is relatively close to you (near the right corner flag for example), since your left foot (planted) acts as a shield.
Football’s not a matter of life and death — it’s much more serious than that.