What to do whn defending against 2 attackers

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Duggan
New User

Sometimes I find myself being the last man back with 2 attackers coming at me with the ball (its just me and the keeper behind the ball). A lot of the time I go towards the ball carrier only for him to pass it to the other man which I can do nothing about. What should I do in this situation? Your help appreciated :D

jthursto

Majority of the time. Your screwed. But that isn't your fault. so blame your fellow defenders and halfbacks that arent getting back :lol:

Best i can say for you to do is get on the one with the ball but try to cut his pass off and still stay between him and the goal. If he gets the pass off, and the other is shooting, try to get to him, but your best bet then is to trust your goalie will stop him. Technically there are two defenders. Think of it as you having an advantage. Both of them can only use their feet and one of your teammates can use his hands! :lol: haha

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

try to gain a little bit of time for your team mates to come back.

go on the man with the ball but try to position yourself so that you can block off a pass to his team mate.

yea most of the times your screwed but you can also try to make the guy with the ball move towards the wing.

mewantgood
Sophomore Member

Delay them as much as you can so the other defenders can get back and so the goalie can get into a good position

sozzy
New User

mate i have done this a load of times and it works 8/10 !

if its 2 vs 1 and you have an attacker on left with the ball and one on the right you keep in the middle at all times.
keep your body 45 degrees towards the attacker with the ball
let him run at you but always have one eye to the other attacker

now you can do two things here let him keep coming to you or go for the tackle. i personaly would keep close to him but no tackle keepin your body 45 degrees towards him therefore he will find it harder to pass to the other person.

now when your getting close towards your own goal thats when you finally have to tackel.now when i say that i mean 100% confident that you are going to gain that ball. if you fail to get the ball you will have to get it out of the net.

good tip is to shout to your other defenders to get back and keep shouting it because it will make the attackers feel more under pressure and maybe cause an error.
if you do get the ball just hit it at hard as you can away from your goal

V1RTU4L
New User

thx sozzy ... this is quite what i do in such situations ... i wouldn't have been able to explain it that good, though

Important in all defending is, that u should try not to tackle to early ...
if u have space ... run backwards with the face to the opponent to make it really difficult for him to go past u ...(he has to be really fast to do that) and this will make him more vulnerable ... act as if u got all the time in the world and just look for the ball and watch for the second the striker plays the ball a bit to far forward so u can snatch it

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Just be confident.... I faced this time and again last time and while concentrating on the dribbler, keep an eye on the free man...

just keep Ur distance equal to the 2 men and try to delay the dribbler's play such as covering the passing angle... I dunno how I did I but I managed to hold 2 men until the rest came...

Just cover the killer pass angle and always be ready to sprint shld the ball be released...

Always look for mistakes so U can break the attack...

G-Unit-Freestyler

Just a couple of days ago, I was talking to my former coach, during a football game we were watching. He used to tell me, if your a defender and its 2 vs 1. Make sure he does not pass it, and also make sure he dusnt pass u. That is ur primary objective according to him.

I disagreed. I told him, when I use to play for him, you need to think 3 steps ahead of ur opponents. Countless times I have been outnumbered, whether it was when I was attacking up front, playing midfielder or as a defender. . The trick is to even pull off a trick without being on the ball.

Im sure all of u know how the drill "piggy in the middle". Make a circle, pass around 1 man stands in the center getting the ball. I have in the middle couple of times, but at those times, I would rarely stay there longer then 5 seconds.

Back to the trick, without having the ball. You have to fake as if your not covering the angle. Fake as if you are determined to not let him get passed you. HOWEVER keep in mind the other attacker. You must put your body into a position where he THINKS he is able to pass it to his teammate but you must also let him THINK he CANNOT PASS YOU. What ends up happening is he after all is going to pass it to his teammate but you will intercept it. This requires some training, and it is risky if you havent learned it, but trust me that I I have scored countless goals by using this technique. I have faked defenders who have been sitting around passing to each other in their defensive third, ending up in a 1vs1 with the goal keeper, putting it through his legs/360/chipping it over his head.

Do remember that most coaches will play rather "safe then sorry" and will disadvise this trick. It takes time to perfect this trick, and you must have a little luck, but once you have done it about 5 times in a row infront of ur manager, he will start thinking differently. Anyhow:

Pretend its a game of poker. He has his 2 hole cards, thinks he has
the winning cards by drawing the AA hearts, while you have cr*p cards like 6, 4 diamonds; start with an all-in, he'll think ur bluffing as he thinks he has the winning cards, river draws: 2, 3, 5 diamonds, and you royal flushed him. His AA is useless.

No more waiting for back up. I learned from early on, the wing backs will not make it in time. No more every1 blaming u that u cudnt stop 2 attackers and no more losing games :)

Conclusion: Try to cancel his thoughts of him passing you. Try to bluf, that he has an open pass way to his teammate (but keep a close guard at the passing angle) and intercept it once the ball is passed. Do not do this too fast, as he could be faking. Also do not do this too slowly as this will result in the teammate actually GETTING the ball.

There is no room for mistakes here, although in the beginning I have tried this I admit it did not always work, but now it works... always...

This is pretty difficult to interpret on the internet but I did my best... Hope this helped.

floater

spread em apart
try to create as much distance as possible between them
"In football, the greatest satisfaction is winning when they say you can't." - Robert Paul

Striker
New User

I agree with the bluffing part, but it all depends on how much room you have between the ball and the goal. If the break starts at half field, then keep the guy from passing, and keep him out of the middle.

I think the main part is that you and your goalie are on the same page. If he knows your tendencies, then he can set up accordingly.

If your main focus is to deny the pass, and your goalie is playing the shot, there is a good chance that it'll be saved. Visa Versa, if you keep the guy from shooting and your goalie can cheat over to the 2nd attacker, he won't be caught out of position, and may be able to make a save.

I'm a striker, but if I were to stop myself, that's what I'd do...if that makes sense....and I hope your not in the same area as me lol...

ajc
The Philly Flyer

In that type of situation, the responsibility of choosing how to defend falls on the shoulders of the keeper, not the defender. The goalie can see the entire play developing. It is his job to direct you, the defender, of what to do. You and your goalie have to a have a strong relationship and understanding on the pitch. You have to be confident in him, and he has to be confident in you.

If you have problems with the goalie not telling you what to do, and you end up choosing whether to defend the shot or pass, talk to your goalie and tell him that he has to take control in that situation. 100% of the time it should the goalie telling the defender what to do, never the other way around.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

Well, i've actually been in this situation a couple of times, now i play midfield/forward thankfully :) , but what i think you should do is just follow those two, stay in the exact middle of them while they're running down the field, then wait till you see you might be going up for a shot and run towards him trying desperately to stop it. Honestly, you're in big trouble if you end up in this situation, but if you read the players movements, the one with the ball, then you might just be able to read when he/she is about to shoot or be able to see when they pass it so that you can intercept it...And save the day!!! :lol:
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

AmericanFutballer wrote:if you read the players movements, the one with the ball, then you might just be able to read when he/she is about to shoot or be able to see when they pass it so that you can intercept it...And save the day!!! :lol:
Actually reading the players movements and trying to figure out what the attacker is going to do is usually not the correct way to defend against it. By doing that you are taking a huge huge amount of risk, because of you are wrong then it is surely a goal. However, if you listen to your goalie and close down either the pass or the shot, then you give the attacker only one option and your goalie can be prepared to deal with it.

I'm not saying that this will work every time, in this situation if the attackers play it correctly then they will score every time. But by communicating with your goalie and tracking down either the shot or the pass, not somewhere in between, you eliminate much of the uncertainty about how the offense will run their attack.

AmericanFutballer
Veteran Member

True you're taking a big risk but the odds are against you for stopping this play. I know from previous coaches and such that when you're up against two defenders just angle yourselves between them, cut down the passing options, and whatnot. But i would say ajc that you are right but in some cases we're saying about the same thing. If you cut down the attackers passing options, by staying in the middle of them, then your goalie is preparing to block the shot coming from the other attacker because that attacker won't pass to the other because i have him marked.
Shut Up, I am Here...
- Goals
"The ability to succeed requires the realization of what one wants and the passionate desire to attain it."

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Yea, I see what your saying and it makes sense. The main point I was trying to get across was that you have to be decisive in choosing whether to force the attacker to shoot or pass, because if you get caught somewhere in between then you've basically accomplished nothing to stop their attack. It is true though, that you can wait and at the last second when he goes to pass you can lunge out and make a spectacular interception, but this is risky because if you do that and he fakes the pass then you are caught out and it's now a two on none.