Elastico guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
matt
EF Forum Legend

As there seem to be new topics on this move evey week, I've decided to do one of these so everyone's questions are answered (hopefully!) without the need to keep posting new topics.

Now, just to clarify, for those who don't know, 'elastico' is another name for 'flip-flap' or 'akka'. It was made popular by Ronaldinho during various Nike commercials.

If you are curious as to what it looks like, have a look at the 'training' section of this site (not on the forums).

http://expertfootball.com/training/drib ... ldinho.php

http://expertfootball.com/training/drib ... _crazy.php

I cannot emphasise how effective this move and it's variations can be. Ideally used when the defender is running at you, it can also be pulled off whilst running in order to unbalance opponents. It is especially effective when on the wings or as a surprise tactic around the penalty area.

The main benefits of trying to practice elastico are:

1)You can do it by yourself
2)It doesn't need much space
3)You quickly develop 'fast feet' which invariably leads to all-round improvement
4)As it generally involves only your feet and ankles, you don't need to be particularly physically fit
5)Once you have mastered it, the results can be spectacular

Now for the actual practice stuff.

I suppose the best way to put it is - it is as simple as it looks. There is no technique or shortcut to pulling it off. All it takes is practice.

If you are a complete n00b to this move, take it slowly and gradually get quicker and quicker. Both 'cut's should be at about 45 degree angles, make sure you go forwards with each one. The angle is critical - too wide will have you stretching and you will lose control. Too narrow and you will get the ball caught between your feet, making it hard to accelerate.

It doesn't really matter how much power you decide to put into it - it differs for each player. It just needs to be enough so that it actually gets you past the defender, but not so much that you can't keep up with it.

You could try placing a small marker such as a stone a few inches in front of you, and try to negotiate the ball around it. This helps with trying to perfect the angles and power needed.

Now once you have mastered doing it quickly on the ground, try these variations:

1) Starts on the floor and ball is lifted as move is performed
2) Ball is flicked into the air in the second movement
3) Reversed - inside cut, then outside cut. With this version it is easier to get the ball in the air
4) Inside roll, then scooped up quickly diagonally forwards. This version is the easiest to pull off when running at pace

The basics are the same for each variaton - not too much power and the 45 degree angles.

Hopefully this covers what people seem to keep asking. As with everything in football, PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
Last edited by matt on 01 Jun 2006, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

fil10

nice guide. great idea to stop ppls from postign the same thing :)
"The time you spent not practising, someone out there's becoming better than you"

jcdenton
Veteran Member

why do the people post threads such as what is the most effective 1v1 dribbling when they have something like this, great one matt...

matt
EF Forum Legend

Thanks! Let me know if you think anything has been missed out.

(Also, nice to see you back jcdenton :) )
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

hey nice post. i can't really add anything to that, it's pretty comprehensive. great guide matt
Hala Galacticos

jcdenton
Veteran Member

matt wrote: (Also, nice to see you back jcdenton :) )
thanks matt, what happened in the community while i was gone?
hey i was on nikefootball.com with a video that my friend accidentally took, i was representing serbia in the chain, i was proud of myself even though i know it was a stupid move, but my friend sent it....
and i've finally finished my school!!!! i'm now computer electrotechnician and i'm going to study electrotechnic on belgrade university, and it's among the best in the world in that area... my area of interest is nanoelectronic, optical electronic and laser technic.... i wanna be the scientist... :D joke :D

DouDou

Perhaps, I should mention this, but Elastico has been invented long time before Ronaldihno made it so popular, even before he was even born, by one of his countryman, the "Boombastic" Rivellino during the 1974 World Cup. In my opinion, Rivellino shooting power exceeds that of Roberto Carlos taking into account that in the 70's the ball was significantly heavier than nowadays

cosminnfs
New User

Hey matt, i think you should put my post in your first one cause this is the post of the month, a gift from me to all you guys:
http://rapidshare.de/files/23592268/THE ... e.zip.html

the dribbler

nice guide u cna also put some pictures in :D

cosminnfs
New User

cosminnfs wrote:Hey matt, i think you should put my post in your first one cause this is the post of the month, a gift from me to all you guys:
http://rapidshare.de/files/23592268/THE ... e.zip.html
PostPosted: Jun 20, 11:03 pm Post subject:
nice guide u cna also put some pictures in Very Happy
huh? Are you people blind ?

Sputnik

i think he means matts guide
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

Futbol
Sophomore Member

Could someone clear this up for me please?

you flick the ball out at 45 degrees, then, do you:

a) Get your foot out and flick the ball back in

or

b) Put your foot outside and let the ball rebound off the inside of your foot

A or B? Thanks.

Sputnik

more like A
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)

Futbol
Sophomore Member

Ok, because the video on this site just shows B

Sputnik

Futbol wrote:Could someone clear this up for me please?

you flick the ball out at 45 degrees, then, do you:

a) Get your foot out and flick the ball back in

or

b) Put your foot outside and let the ball rebound off the inside of your foot

A or B? Thanks.
you must make an actual motion to knock the ball back the otherway slightly, if it just 'rebounds' it will not have enough power to pass the defender. although ideally it should all be one smooth motion.
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)