playing by instinct

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
carl155
Sophomore Member

:?: Ive got a question to ask you guys. Is it me, or does everyone, while playing soccer, just play by instinct and usually use moves you never knew you could do before?

I question this because today in my game, I got the ball while playing defense, and without thinking, i dribbled up the whole field, telling my team to push up towards the enemy goalkeeper. While doing that, i managed to steer away from all the defenders and midfielders that tried to stop me, and for the finishing move, i dummied the goalkeeper and tapped it in.

Is this the product of playing since I was 6 years old and hard training or am i just , well,... "different", lol

expert
Site Admin

I don't think playing soccer is all that instinctive. Quite the contrary, you often have to restrain yourself of doing the first thing that comes to your mind. For example, I always look for square and back passes instead of just forcing the ball forward... in defense, I don't just rush at opponents I jockey and wait until they become vulnerable... Even when dribbling, I am always looking for open space and thinking about the possibility of turnovers, I don't just run at the goal.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Yeah, I agree with the expert, closing your eyes when the ball comes to you is an instinct. You must do the opposite. Also, in youth soccer, players think it's bad to pass the ball backwards because they think it's the counterinuitive thing to do.

Although, when I dribble a defender 1v1, i'll do the move that comes that comes to my instinct. My instinct is built after hours of training, and after doin this, i'll know which move to use.

archie~FS

lmao, 'the enemy goalkeeper' :lol: :lol:

carl155
Sophomore Member

well, i guess i kind of explained it wrong, now that i know what you meant by the reply, i didnt quite understand the term "instinct" in soccer. I realized that i do actually think while playing, but everything i do just comes natural from practice and experience, thank you for the reply, expert.