Cosminnfs's free kick guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

Post by iwannagopro » 17 Dec 2006, 03:56

Just so you guys know... Jdefoe didn't make this guide. A guy called Cosminfs made it, and JDefoe was nice enough to repost it and make it a sticky, because the previous one had exceeded its bandwidth. Just so you know.

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 17 Dec 2006, 14:44

ye i know

cosminnfs
New User

Post by cosminnfs » 20 Dec 2006, 20:58

mufc21 wrote:ye i know
Yeah but I bet allot others don't
Last edited by cosminnfs on 20 Dec 2006, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.

mufc21
Veteran Member

Post by mufc21 » 20 Dec 2006, 22:00

that sucks. Its named cosnminfs free kick guide but jdefoe gets all the credit. Anyway thanks for it, it has helped me so much. great guide

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 19 Mar 2007, 23:41

The Perfect Freekick V2
by Ronaldinho Addict (cosminnfs)

The basics:
Well the first thing you have to achieve in your freekick is accuracy. No point in shooting if it’s not on target wright? And there’s no point shooting to get dentist bills at your front door wright? So your just gonna have to just practice these two until you achieve the best balance. Remember: Practice, Practice, Practice. Ok now for the serios stuff.

Advanced techniques

As far as I know, in almost every freekick you’ll have a wall in front of you wright? And as you all know, the best way to outcome the wall is to get the ball over the wall, and then down towards the goal. Sounds easy ? Well it isn’t considering that you have to kick it with some power, because the keeper will catch it in no time. So, I’m gonna teach you how to get the ball over the wall with some power. So here are the advanced techniques basics.

In order to give the ball a dip(drop) effect here’s what you need to achieve:

-kick the ball like Ronaldinho, and like all the other pro’s like this, at an angle (~ 45 degrees): Wondering why? Well, the answer is extremely simple and logical. Think it like this. In order to give the ball a nice bend from right to left you have to kick it on the side, wright ? Like this:
But what do you do in order to give it a “down” bend ? You kick it like this ? Image Well the answer is yes; at least in theory. But if you kick it like this your practicly hit it towards the grownd and that's practicly impossible. So what do you do ?

You kick it like this: Image
As I said before, kick it like the pro’s. Because this way, when your foot hits the ball, and follows through it wil go upwards, giving it a dip effect, and the ball will rise because he hits it from below (this is very important to hit it from bellow because otherwise, the ball won’t rise) also by leaning back and planting his left foot a bit behind the ball, and then falling amaizingly down (because of the dip effect), and sideways (giving it some bend). Look at the second picture from above. This picture was taken from behind Ronaldinho, just after his right foot made contact with the ball on a freekick for PSG, wich landed beautifully in the upper-left corner of the goal, and in to the net. As you can see, his foot being at ~45 degrees, goes up when following through, and because it hit a little of the side of the ball, the ball also got some bend.
Ok, now that you know hot to hit the ball, it’s time to teach you how to get your foot at 45 degrees, and some other pointers:
These are Ronaldinho’s steps before hiting the ball: Image
Important notice: In all the steps and in all times keep you eyes on the ball, don’t take your eyes from the ball not even a second! Only take your eyes of the ball when you finished following through with your kicking leg, and to see the ball fly in to the net!!!
The easiest way to find out the optimum distance between you and the ball before executing the freekick is to stay behind the ball with your feet close togheter, and take three big steps backwards like in this diagram, and remember that you have to plant your left foot a bit behind the ball:
1st step: The first step is a little step made to achieve his balance.
2nd step: The second step is bigger because he will “jump” toward the 3rd step to achieve de 45 degrees, and because he needs time to retract his leg backwards from the knee, and then bring it back straight as soon as possible because as you all know, the faster you “knee snap” the more powerful will be the shot. But before he “jumps” (while he’s sitting on his right foot), he leans a bit forward.
3rd step: This step is when he plants his left foot along side of the ball, but not to close! Keep at least 10cm distance between your plant foot and the ball, and a maximum of 25cm.
Now for the pictures:

This is he’s second step. Notice that it is a quite big step. In the second pictures he begins to take his left foot of the ground to jump on his left foot.
2nd – 3rd Step: Between these steps you have to do a lot of things and to be very fast in moving your legs.

Watch these 3 pictures. Do you see how fast he moves his right foot? As soon as he jumps from his right foot to the left foot (which he plants near the ball, not to close as you can see), his right foot is already retracted from the knee upward. So as soon as you release your right foot from the grownd, retract it backward as fast as possible, and then release it to strike the ball, but not very very fast because it will end up in the crowd. The main reason for wich he moves his right foot very fast is because when he jumps from his right foot to his left foont to plant it he “throws” his left foot forward so he can reach the plant spot (the place where he has to plant his foot) (helped by a forward body lean) because remember that the last step is the biggest. And because he throws his left foot, the left foot will reach the plant spot very quckly, thus the need to retract the right foot very quickly so he can strike the ball while he’s body is at a 45 degrees angle.
The follow through: after he hits the ball, the kicking leg is going both upwards (up to his hips level to obtain maximum dip) and forwards (for power).
And one more thing, 2 little pointers:
- When jumping from the 2nd to
the 3rd step, extend your entire left hand backwards, parallel to the
ground to achieve better balance and accuracy. I can’t explain how
it works but it really works :)
- To achieve more bend or dip effect, position the ball with it’s valve on the side of the ball in which you will bend the ball. For example if you want to bend the ball from the right to the left, put the valve on the right of the ball, and if you want to achieve better dip, position the ball with the valve up. But because you can’t achieve only dip in freekick, but also bend, position the ball with the valve up-right wards. You can study all these things by watching Ronaldinho or Roberto Carlos position they’re ball, by searching for the valve. Look at this picture: Ronaldinho set up the ball like that because he talked to Tiago Motta before placing the ball on the groung about deciding who will take the freekick. They’ve decided that Motta will execute it so he placed the ball with the valve upwards-left (The central line of the ball is in line with Motta’s inside of the foot at contact). If Ronaldinho would of executed it, he would have place it with the valve upwards-right.
And by the way, Motta scored in this freekick!
The approach angle:

The angle has to be between 110 and 130 degrees~, 120 being recommended, because if you approach the ball at a higher angle, you will lean backwards when you’ll jump to make the 3rd step, and when you’ll strike the ball it will land wide of the goal, and the biggest flaw of a too high angle is that you won’t achieve de 45 degrees side lean, thus the ball won’t dip correctly, or won’t dip at all, like a cross. Look at the picture:
Click it

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 19 Mar 2007, 23:42

I didn't write this, only formatted it for posting.
Click it

rzadzinski
Poland Spring Rzadzinski

Post by rzadzinski » 19 Mar 2007, 23:43

That's the one!!! :wink:
"I wear tinted visor not to trick other players, but so hot girls in stands don't see me looking at them."

-Alexander Ovechkin

gnarlyjim
EF Mountie

Post by gnarlyjim » 20 Mar 2007, 00:47

Every time I look at this post I am reminded how great it is. Where did cosminnf go? Did he just stop posting? :?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 20 Mar 2007, 00:50

Yea he basically stopped posting. I think this is probably the best guide for a specific skill on the whole site, it explains everything brilliantly.
Click it

hackwild
New User

lack of power?

Post by hackwild » 23 Apr 2007, 01:42

When I try and take a kick like this, i get a good amount of curve and dip but it seems like the ball just floats through the air forever. My shot seems so slow. What do i need to do to get a little more zip without sending it over the goal?

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 23 Apr 2007, 01:54

Look at the positioning of your approach. You might want to move your plant foot a little farther away from the ball so that you can really swing your body and whip the ball in with more power. Don't be worried about pushing the ball on the side to create spin, hit the ball. If you strike it properly then even though it may not feel like a typical curved shot, it can have massive amounts of spin. The diagrams illustrate how to do that properly.
Click it

kvsh
Sophomore Member

Post by kvsh » 27 Apr 2007, 11:13

the links dont work for me :( i would really appreciate it if someone could send the pdf files to my email address :) my email address: kvshskaterz@hotmail.com
kvshskaterz@yahoo.com

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 27 Apr 2007, 18:37

kvsh wrote:the links dont work for me :( i would really appreciate it if someone could send the pdf files to my email address :) my email address: kvshskaterz@hotmail.com
kvshskaterz@yahoo.com
It's all here. I had it on my computer before the links died so I formatted it into a post. Just scroll up.
Click it

Evan
Veteran Member

Post by Evan » 30 May 2007, 02:49

wow this is a great guide!
On a different note everyone's pretty good with women when it comes to hookers... well except the sham-wow guy.