Beating defenders standing sideways

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Ronaldinho Gaucho

How do you dribble past players when they are standing sideways on and they don't attack the ball? For me its almost impossible. I can skin players easily when they are facing me directly but when standing sideways they can't be wrongfooted.

SiYuan
Sophomore Member

Fake on the otherside and nutmeg them? If they dont buy the fake just continue moving to the otherside and if they attack brush them off .

kloft

yeah please explain more...

nutmegging isn't so practical all the time.

when i find a defender facing sideways, all I do is trying to slow the ball down then accelerate again straight forward, or I use an inside/outside turn depending on the situation. sometimes i just throw a stepover to the way they are facing, then continue zooming forward.

what else can you do? i don't know this very well.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Well if you know you can't beat them there is no point in trying. My advice is pass the ball.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

agreed with peps. if you know you can't beat them, don't be stupid and try. if you're going to anyway though, i'd suggest learning the boukhari move, it works well in this situation.
Hala Galacticos

zizou10-5

well go to the opposite side they are tryin t lead u to, den they have to face the other way, n den go oppisite again, 2 stepovers will do nicely, a lunge and a pass would also be god, if u want to beat him, u really need to sell the fake, put ur am out wide like Ronaldinho does.

Bestofthebest

sometimes you gotta use inside outsides or outside insides. Get them to turn their body as if your going the other direction and quickly change directions to otherside
Join this Forum: http://footyclips.com/forum

edma
Sophomore Member

at first be relax, dont let defend presure u. make sure the ball is near your feet. watch the defend movement and ready to make move when defend relax. the opportunity to defend to relex maybe small, but use the small opportunity to beat defend.

if u still cant beat him, just pass the ball. maybe 1-2 with ur friend be the effective move to defeat him..
i want to improve my football skill from dribling to shooting.plz help me...

Jack-of-all-trades

Do the Jermaine Vanenburg elastico panna or the Zaid Matthews nutmeg if his legs are wide open. It really works!

For example, if he is pressuring you from the left, you do the elastico panna move with your right foot or the Matthews nutmeg move with your left foot.

Hope this helps.

Btw, Jermaine Vanenburg and Zaid are two sick Dutch futsal players.

Example of the Matthews nutmeg:
http://www.dannypanna.footballclips.net ... ps.net.zip

Example of the elastico panna:
Joga Bonito is the way I play.

Jack-of-all-trades

You can also try this if you are pressured from the side with insufficient spaces.
Hope this helps :D

Jack-of-all-trades

Ronaldinho Gaucho wrote:How do you dribble past players when they are standing sideways on and they don't attack the ball? For me its almost impossible. I can skin players easily when they are facing me directly but when standing sideways they can't be wrongfooted.
Try to stall the ball on your instep and flick it over the defender's head. If he is standing on your right then the flick is to the right and vice versa. Quite flashy though.

Another similiar fancy move:

Hope this helps :roll:

ajc
The Philly Flyer

If the defenders feet are staggered, then he is trying to push you to one direction. Lets say he has his left foot forward so he is trying to push you to your left. When he is doing this it will be much easier to go to the left, where he wants you to go. If that puts you in a decent position on the field, you should go that direction. You need to make him think that you are going right. do a scissors or just a hard deke to that side, just do something to make him think you are trying to go across his body to the right. To get by him you need him to raise his front foot. The second he does this you can cut left and go past him because with his foot in the air he can't lunge at you with his back foot. Be quick though, because if you wait too long after he raises his front foot then he will stop you with that foot. Obviously, if he is forcing you to the right just do the same thing but to the opposite side i described. If you can get him to think you're going the way he is not forcing you and he raises his front foot, you can blow by the defender everytime.

hope that helps you out. :D

lil italy
Veteran Member

I genreally do this:

Shield the ball at first. Dont let him get near it. Get in between the defender and the ball. If they arent moving or going for the ball, you have a few options.
First, you could nutmeg him/her. This can be easy when you roll the ball away from your body and then back towards you at an angle to the player. Or you could do something similar to a cruyff turn, dummy one way and backheel through their legs. There are also some other ways, but they are too complicated to use in a game.
Also, you could try and just burst past him. This takes good control and a bit of speed. Just make like you are turning to one side then explode the other way. This should buy you some time and space.
One other option i sometimes use is to run away from the player (towards your own goal) . The player will follow, but by then you will be able to turn to face him or have your back to him or just get into a more comfortable position for you to beat him.

Hope this helps

karlofootball10
Veteran Member

that is personally my favorite position to be in when the defender is attacking, you have so many options. The Cruyff turn is ideal, you start going one way, fake the kick and take it the other way, then you can keep going or turn it back the other way again. stepovers work great, too, or just plain old speed. you can also shield yourself until somebody gets open.
if a quiz is quizzical, then what's a test?

archie~FS

Try an hocus pocus through the back of their legs :lol: or maybe a sleeper to pull them in, then knock it past them and beat them for pace.

or if its a serious game just drop your shoulder and go the other way, works every time :wink: