Practising defending by your self

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
upandcoming

I know many ways to practise attacking by your self but I don't know many ways to practise defending by your self. The part of my game I really need to practise right now is my defending but does any one know how I can do that by my self. Is the only way to practise your defending with a partner or is it possible that there are defensive drills I can do when I have no one else to play with.

englishplayer

i would be standing like i normally did in defence facing towards one of the touchlines trying to usher somebody out of bounds and standing on my toes i would exploding one way like an attacker might to do so may sprint for about ten to twenty meters or so. i dont know if this is helpful but i would suggest atleast trying to get someone to defend.

then you can practice things like speed and endurance which will help you anywhere in soccer

edma
Sophomore Member

hi..i'm a defender for my university team. my opinion is u need to practice it with your team member. defender is not alone mark the striker/forward. i think is defend is teamwork. if u being passed, your teamate will support u. for individual defensive training suggestion is try to practice with a striker/forward(maybe your friend). try to relex. dont get so close or so far. predict were he want to move.that my opinion..if there any mistake..i'm sory..
i want to improve my football skill from dribling to shooting.plz help me...

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Well... It's not all bad practising shielding or holding of the ball by the touchline by Urself. I used to do that almost everyday and well, it will help develop Ur instincts when the real situation comes. Yes, it is a team's effort to defend together and properly but this applies to the individual's development as a defender for future games.

Shep
Sophomore Member

I always found d is all in the mind. Just imagine how someone could beat you and think of ways to stop them. Also you need to practice headers and all sorts of other controls alot. I would find a good wall and start going nuts at it. Whip the ball off the wall and control it.

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Hmmm... It's very hard to practice defense w/out someone else to help you as it can't really simulate a real match situation.

My advice to you is to go over the passing,shooting,ball control & heading drills in this forum.

Because no matter what position you play you will always need these skills to be at tip top shape.

But a great way to work on defending headers is to find a big area and a good size wall throw the ball at the top of the wall (well at lest make it a good feet above your head) and as it comes down hit below the center of the ball and aim for another spot on the wall and move in position for the next header.

Hope this helps
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Mr.SoccerMojo wrote:Hmmm... It's very hard to practice defense w/out someone else to help you as it can't really simulate a real match situation.

My advice to you is to go over the passing,shooting,ball control & heading drills in this forum.

Because no matter what position you play you will always need these skills to be at tip top shape.

But a great way to work on defending headers is to find a big area and a good size wall throw the ball at the top of the wall (well at lest make it a good feet above your head) and as it comes down hit below the center of the ball and aim for another spot on the wall and move in position for the next header.

Hope this helps
Yes, these skills no doubt... I never got tired passing the ball around with my best friend and he would practise with me headings, passing and shielding. He was even surprised when I made such massive improvement in everything defensive. He has been playing football since 12 and I played at the late age of 14+. So, he was superior to me in every attributes and I always took advice from him.

It's all about sensing the danger and quickly covering it to prevent a chance for a shot on goal. I think interception and anticipation are the most important things a defender should have.

The_Majestic

I've been trying to figure out an individual practice for defenders, and there really are no drills for defending alone. There are drills for backpedaling, side to side, speed. Also drills for strength, and you need to be awesome at the basics.
2005-2006 Sophmore starter as Varsity Sweeper.
2004-2005 Freshman starter as Varsity Left Back.
2003-2004 NTX Strikers '89 Right/Left Winger.
2004-2005 NTX Strikers '90 Sweeper.
2005-2006 NTX Strikers '90 Sweeper.

milanese
Veteran Member

For getting stronger and faster, through strength, speed and agility training. And you could work on you're vert aswell to help win balls in the air.

Also you can practice doing or atleast learning different moves and feints. This can help you recognize what tricks a attacker might be playing on you, giving you the upper hand.

You can watch soccer on tv. That could help you read the game a bit better.