Being afraid of the ball as a goalkeeper

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
socc3rguy
New User

I have a big problem... I'm always put as goal keeper, i'm fine with that but that's not the problem, the problem is... well... i'm afraid of the ball :( I've been told that before by some people and i just blew it off. Today I had practice and I got put as keeper, I find myself continually flinching and getting really nervous because my teammates hit the ball really hard! I also feel like that when i'm out on defense when someone is about to kick i always move away. I need some serious advice that will help me get over this fear.

skip2dalou22
Sophomore Member

uhh all i know is thats how i am with baseball, im scared of thge baseball so i never play it, i dunno just get over ur fear soccer ball doesnt hurt much more as a basbeall bat does (yes i am terrifed of baseball) just get over it somehow... maybe have ur friends tie u up and pelt u with soccer balls?

socc3rguy
New User

anyone else got any advise? has anyone else been scared of the ball and then got over it somehow? I need help!

SV_08

Sometimes it takes that one time where you throw caution to the wind and just save that shot comin at you. I know that was how it was when I was about 7 yrs old. Think about it this way, if the ball is coming at you, it's easier to block the shot with your gloves instead of moving out of the way. Goalkeeper is all about throwing you body out there to deny the opposition. Don't be afraid of getting hurt, you gotta worry about keeping a clean sheet first!

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Most people are afriad their first couple of times in the net.

This is what helps me to get over it: before the game/practice starts close your eyes and take a deep breath and let your mind go blank ok now think about something/someone dear too you behined you in the net and just keep this in your mind (and NOTHING ELSE) stop the ball !

If that's the only thing in your mind than you'll have no problem w/diving and punching and flying in the air. when I'm in the net that's all I think about in my mind I hear my voice repeat Stop The Ball Stop The Ball over and over again so much so that it's the only thing I hear. this helps me a lot so you might want to give it a try[/u]
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

Sputnik

i am no goalkeeping expert but i played some panna type situations as gk, and that definately helps you overcome fear of the ball. in panna gks basically just get hit rather than making saves. therefore just get someone to come closerange with you, maybe five meters away, and then they can either belt it at you try n come a bit closer. either way just dive for the ball/ their feet. make up your mind and do it. once you get over your origional fear this will become easy. and furthermore when you play in a match shots from further out will be easier to play against.

gd luck
sputnik
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

FootballCow
New User

After a while you just get used to the ball hitting you and diving.

Hugh
Veteran Member

Quite true, but before you post check how old the topic is, if it's more than a month then just leave it unless everyone else has been wrong so far and you have to set things right.

TacticalMid
New User

1st. there's only a little area of ur body that can be serious injuried by a soccer ball... :( and those, ppl dun kick those parts often.

2nd. i know when ur a keeper, ur afraid at the ball that it may hit u and hurt u... :? now lol if the other team hears that, they will be so pissed that cuz their enemy keeper is afraid that the ball is going to hit HIM not the goal... :(

well, im afraid that the ball aint gonna hit me or im not fast enough to reach the ball... now ur the opposite, ur afraid the ball IS gonna hit u and bounce off... :shock:

now unless the team ur playing is a bunch of noobs... i can say not even 1 outta 10 of the shots will hit u... if ur standing still...

keep my words in mind when ur playing keeper again... :D

redrover365
Veteran Member

then you shouldnt be a keeper!

Kuz3

Being afraid of the ball is normal for someone new to keeping I remember my first few times in goals I was a bit scared of the ball hitting me but after a month or two u notice that one day the fear of the ball hitting u is gone

SheepKeep
New User

This MUST be broken. Take the advice of that guy from the movie Dodgeball: "You've gotta get angry!!!". Knock some offenders on their rears if you have to. It's your penalty box, remember that. I was just kidding about the angry part. keep a cool head, but be aggressive when necessary. You might get a bit of pain, but make getting the ball into your hands priority 1, not matter the cost.