Natural Talent vs Earned Talent

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
MickyD#9
Veteran Member

It pisses me off when i see some of my friends who never train yet they are really good with the ball and i train everyday and they are playing in teams as good as me (not saying they are better than me) but i just get annoyed coz im out workin for it and it just comes to them easily.... Does anybody else have this problem? Will things be different as we get older?

FD_ FOR_MS-What's Missing?
www.freestylersdownunder.com/forum

peps1154
Veteran Member

Surly u must be better than them if u practice. What annoys me is people who r pretty good and dont practice say they are better than me, when I could beat them. Anyways I know how you feel but they willl never make it big time because to make it you need to have the desire and put in the hard work.

Ronaldinho10

In the long run you'll be the one who succeeds mate.

However it could be that your friends don't take football as serious as you and therefore maybe don't think about it as much and therefore just turn up and play without thinking everything through whereas you may be thinking and analysing too much. This can lead to them playing more relaxed and naturally. Obviusly analysing and thinking of positive ways to improve your game is important but too much can lead to you thinking too much about what your doing on the pitch and not playing naturally.

This happened to me once when I was practicing shooting. I was hitting bad shots and getting frustrated and my brother , who does not take football seriously and plays for the fun , turned up and hit 4 or 5 screamers in a row and I couldn't believe it and my Dad turned to me and said - thats because he isn't thinking about what he's doing - he's just doing it.
So from that I learned not to think too much and just play naturally. I suppose it's all about getting the balance right.

So to sum up - maybe it's a case of - Don't think , Just Do.

Anyway that was a long story so I hope it was useful MickyD#9. Let me know if this helps and good luck mate.
Last edited by Ronaldinho10 on 16 Feb 2006, 22:02, edited 3 times in total.

matt
EF Forum Legend

Good point Ronaldinho10 - I find that my finishing is also better when I am not thinking about it, just acting on instinct.

@ topic-starter: It's all down to how dedicated you are and how well you are playing. If you continue to work hard and play well then you will succeed, whereas people who are unwilling to work hard will eventually find themselevs giving up and wasting talent.
The Man Your Man Could Smell Like.

Mr.SoccerMojo
Veteran Member

Ronaldinho10 wrote:In the long run you'll be the one who succeeds mate.

However it could be that your friends don't take football as serious as you and therefore maybe don't think about it as much and therefore just turn up and play without thinking everything through whereas you may be thinking and analysing too much. This can lead to them playing more relaxed and naturally. Obviusly analysing and thinking of positive ways to improve your gae is important too much can lead to you thinking too much about what your doing on the pitch and not playing naturally.

This happened to me once when I was practicing shooting. I was hitting bad shots and getting frustrated and my brother , who does not take football seriously and plays for the fun , turned up and hot 4 or 5 screamers in a row and I couldn't believe it and my Dad turned to me and said - thats because he isn't thinking about what he's doing - he's just doing it.
So from that I learned not to think too much and just play naturally. I suppose it's all about getting the balance right.

So to sum up - maybe it's a cas of - Don't think , Just Do.

Anyway that was a long story so I hope it was useful MickyD#9. Let me know if this helps and good luck mate.
You took the words right out of my mouth lol but I know what you guys mean my little brother who doesn't care too much about football at all (at times it's like he doesn't evan like it)when you play him his ball control is unmatched I mean he can keep the ball so close to him and fake you w/ease and the thing is he never practices never it pisses me off but you know I'm also proud of him he is soooo good at it one day he did a perfect elastico (and when I mean perfect I mean perfect it was fast and just down right beautiful as good as ronaldinho) the thing is he's never seen it before or he's never heard of it ethier I told him what it was and he was like "huh oh well that's cool I guess" urrrgh I get sooo pissed off by this
Those who race towards death
Those who wait
&
Those who worry

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

nice post, ronaldinho10. i agree totally, you need to just do it and not think too hard. if you worry too much about how you'll hit the ball you're going to get it wrong because of all the pressure you're putting on yourself. if you practice over and over and let it become natural, it'll become instinct, and you'll execute it perfectly almost every time without even thinking about it. you just have to find the right balance of fun and seriousness in your play
Hala Galacticos

MickyD#9
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the help guys and thankyou ronaldinho 10.
I know I am better...but they are still pretty good. I made the post yesterday and yesterday was a bad day for me because at school i know i played like crap , even tho it was better than most of my friends, i know i can play way better and I get annoyed with myself when i play badly. A day earlier at indoor soccer we won 23-12(no defenseive play lol) I scored 11 but i shouldve got way more....so many of my shots were off target. I guess i shouldnt be worrying 2 much because i have been the leading goal scorer for like 3 seperate terms now but i still know i can improve alot more.

FD_ FOR_MS-What's Missing?
www.freestylersdownunder.com/forum

SV_08

Yeah man, if you keep practicing then you'll be more comfortable with your skills and everything will come easy to you. It sounds like you are at a point where you are starting to outplay them. I had a similar situation this year, but in track. It has took me three years of long, hard work and finally this year as freshman in hs I'm starting to beat my teammates more often.

The one thing though is the more work you keep doing, the faster you get better.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

look man, a few years ago, I kept wondering about this...Kids that didn't practice were still better than me. But then I kept practicing, setting goals, and I exploded past most of these kids. So, in the short term, they may be better, but if you keep working hard, you will only get better and it will only be a matter of time before you can outplay these kids on a consistent basis.

hope it helps,

jdefoe

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

Don't worry man, i had the same problem as you. My friends were showing me up even though i practived all the time. Then i realized that i just needed to relax, now i own them at freestyling. Just make yourself comfortable and you'll be way way better than them. Keep practicing man, and like Ronaldinho10 said, dont think, just do

deano7

jdefoe wrote:look man, a few years ago, I kept wondering about this...Kids that didn't practice were still better than me. But then I kept practicing, setting goals, and I exploded past most of these kids. So, in the short term, they may be better, but if you keep working hard, you will only get better and it will only be a matter of time before you can outplay these kids on a consistent basis.

hope it helps,

jdefoe
I agree with this alot, even thought i havent experienced it i am starting to realise it is happenining to me also, i am starting to become alot better than the people i play against and even though i have never been one of the fastest i am becoming a fast and mobile player because these players havent trained hard.
Never Criticise your own ability.

jonathanx0z

nobody is born with "natural talent"
everybody is born with two legs and a body :wink:

Norm

jonathanx0z wrote:nobody is born with "natural talent"
well that's debateable

jonathanx0z

Norm wrote:
jonathanx0z wrote:nobody is born with "natural talent"
well that's debateable
I think it is more psychological than natural talent
It depends what you lived throughout your life
That makes you take good or bad decisions when you play

iwannagopro
EF Flying Dutchman

This topic died a little over 10 months ago. Leave it be... the question was answered.