Develop strengths or diminish weaknesses?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Develop strengths or diminish weaknesses?

Post by jdefoe » 22 Jan 2006, 02:37

From my knowledge, you must be proficient in every part of the game to be a good player, however does that mean all attributes have to become strengths to become great? No, it does not. Let me explain:

Let me introduce the concept of "artists" and "warriors"

A Warrior- an all around player who can do anything for the team who possesses pretty much every skill, and is very proficient with any technique. For example, Patrick Veira, he can head, shoot, pass, run, has good tactical knowledge, and is strong on the ball. Wouldn't you love to be on of these players? Clearly he has few weaknesses.

An artist- a player who's main role is to score, and help create for his teammates. He obviously doesn't have all the all round skills as Viera, but is good at what he does.

Now, let me ask you this question: is Arsene Wenger wrong for hiring Thierry Henry?

NO, because his role on the team is different. For example, if you are a winger, you have to be alright at heading, but it doesn't need to be a great strength since you don't really head the ball much at that position. You should work on your pace, dribbling, and crossing, you should make these all strengths and make them work together. So, say if you can dribble, and you have good pace, you should work on crossing, and do this so you can use your dribbling ability and speed to set up a great cross, which will make you a more effective "artist" on the pitch.

And there are some players, like Gattuso's that fit in neither of these categories, their role is to create for the warriors and artists....

I would consider myself an artist, that's because i'm a winger with some finishing skills (I used to play striker in highschool)

So, good luck, and try to develop your skills so they are position and role specific.

JDefoe

zizou10-5

Post by zizou10-5 » 22 Jan 2006, 08:15

i don't like to describe myself but i want to be a warrior hehe, but usually i play as an artist for a team so yeah.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 23 Jan 2006, 01:25

great post jdefoe. one thing though; i don't know that i would say an artist's main job is to score. there are keepers that would be better examples. as you surely know, some saves could definitely be considered fine art. i'm not trying to be difficult, i'm just saying that your article refers mainly to attacking players, which (according to other definitions of your categories) aren't the only ones who can be "artists" and "warriors." i know what you mean though, and hopefully everyone else does too.
Hala Galacticos

ole21
Sophomore Member

Post by ole21 » 13 Feb 2006, 00:11

yea i kinda disagree with that post. for example is Rudd Van nistelrooy is not really an artist in my mind more of a warior. and what about rooney, he's not an artist.
but i mostly disagree with the "only 2 types of players" cuz i don't play my game like that. i play center and outside mid, and my goal is to play agressively and with heart. and i'm always bustin my ass to get to the ball or workin to push someone offthe ball. i'm the one who will always run till the end. but at the same time, i got some quick moves and i have the abitlity to get by most anyone. i can make runs that split through their team. and i can score.
see i don't have those restrictions on the way i view the game. i want to be a different kind of player, something great. has anyone heard of a "renaissance man" i want to be that kind of person but in soccer. i'm gonna be something special.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 13 Feb 2006, 02:29

you are described there. I wrote down that some players dont fit in either...

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 13 Feb 2006, 21:18

i know what you mean, and i apologize if i sounded like i'm just being anal about it. my thinking was: football is an art. there is more to football than attacking, therefore attackers are not the only ones who can be artists. i get what you're saying, and it is a really good post
Hala Galacticos

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 13 Feb 2006, 23:15

cfrealmadrid wrote:i know what you mean, and i apologize if i sounded like i'm just being anal about it. my thinking was: football is an art. there is more to football than attacking, therefore attackers are not the only ones who can be artists. i get what you're saying, and it is a really good post
thanks for the critique, yes, it could be better explained...but I was talking about Ole, I should have used quotes. Basically he ignored the part where I wrote that some players provide for the artists and warriors.

ole21
Sophomore Member

Post by ole21 » 14 Feb 2006, 01:36

hey, yeah i did make a mistake and i forgot about that part. so about that...i'm sorry. but...i was just making a point also for all those people that hear those TWO classifications and try to fill one of them, even if you mention that not all people fit in one of the two. i hope we're in agreement and on good terms.

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 14 Feb 2006, 01:44

ole21 wrote:hey, yeah i did make a mistake and i forgot about that part. so about that...i'm sorry. but...i was just making a point also for all those people that hear those TWO classifications and try to fill one of them, even if you mention that not all people fit in one of the two. i hope we're in agreement and on good terms.
yeah, we're cool man, isn't that what a discussion forum is for?

upandcoming

Post by upandcoming » 29 Mar 2006, 22:08

I think that artists are players that are good at what they do for example Henry is good at scoring, Beckham is good at passing, and Cole is good at defending. Warriors are players that don't possess a specific skill that there amazing at but are all around great players like Viera, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Deco for example. There is not one thing that you can pin point that is better then the next part of there game but never the less they are great players

peps1154
Veteran Member

Post by peps1154 » 29 Mar 2006, 23:20

upandcoming wrote:I think that artists are players that are good at what they do for example Henry is good at scoring, Beckham is good at passing, and Cole is good at defending. Warriors are players that don't possess a specific skill that there amazing at but are all around great players like Viera, Ronaldinho, Zidane, Deco for example. There is not one thing that you can pin point that is better then the next part of there game but never the less they are great players
I dont really agree, I think artist are players with superb skill like Ronaldinho, Henry, or Requelme, and warriors are players with not that much skill however wonderfull heart, players that just keep on going, like gatuso or gravesen.

fil10

Post by fil10 » 29 Mar 2006, 23:48

i think the real artists r players that never give up like maradona or ronaldinho. i think theres way more out there but of course thats how i see those soccer players as and thats just my opinion.
"The time you spent not practising, someone out there's becoming better than you"

Magicfeet

Post by Magicfeet » 25 Apr 2006, 23:03

Ranking: 4 stars; JDefoe

Though this is a bit late, this was a very nice post from JDefoe, and fully deserved 4 stars.

Fantasista

Post by Fantasista » 14 May 2006, 08:57

Well I think Im an artist but I train myself in my weakness too.

mak9

Post by mak9 » 14 Oct 2006, 18:29

The concept of warriors and artists is well known among coaches. There are actually 4 categories:

artists artist-warriors warrior-artists and then warriors

(note: artist-warriors means more of an artist but has warrior in him as well)

Ideally a coach would want a correct balance or artist-warriors and warrior-artists. A team with too many artists will fail to defend, and a team with too many warriors will fail to score.

There is a lot more to this concept than you may think, especially when it comes to selecting players for a particular formation.

I myself am an artist-warrior.