Basic heading for distance tutorial

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
jdefoe
Forum groupie

Basic heading for distance tutorial

Post by jdefoe » 15 Jan 2006, 19:46

For a defender, the penalty area is the area, above all others, where there are no prizes for coming second. It is essential therefore; those defenders are first to the ball and attack the ball. When heading, defenders will usually have the advantage of the ball coming towards them. Determination and courage are important qualities to posses when heading for distance. Having reached the ball first, the defender must head the ball high, long and wide to give his defense time to reorganize and adjust.

How To Practice
To determine your average heading distance stands against the wall and heads the ball outwards towards the two cones. Where ever the ball bounces acts as your base line. For this practice. Move the cones to this spot and work from that line. From the cones, throw the ball slightly forward and up into the air. On it's descent head the ball high and long towards the wall. The higher the ball hits the wall the more powerful your heading will become. Be alert to all rebounds and control them efficiently. Jog back to the base line and repeat practice. An aggressive frame of mind is vital.

Other Points to note:

- Your eyes should be fixed on the flight of the ball.

-Contact is made with the center of the forehead. As the forehead is the hardest and flattest part of the skull, it will lend to a more powerful and accurate header.

-Contact on the ball should be made through the center and below the horizontal mid-line of the ball. This will direct the ball upwards.

-The header must be aggressive. so, BE AGGRESSIVE

-On the approach to the ball, the player must slightly arch the back and tighten the neck muscles.

- Immediately on making contact with the ball, the player should quickly swing the upper body and make contact on the ball with the center of the forehead.

- Further power can be achieved by pulling the arms back when making contact with the ball.

- "throw your eyes at the ball" and remember that the head and neck must be used together as one instrument, so dont just fling your head at the ball.

- When heading for distance, the ball should be headed high, long and wide.

Good luck, and take care,

JDefoe

deano7

Post by deano7 » 15 Jan 2006, 21:10

Can i also add just incase you dont have a brickwall round your area go down a field and boot the ball in the air let it bounce once and then head the ball as far as you can, then you can mark it or even try clearing cones or something... Also this can help your leap because you are constantly jumping.
Never Criticise your own ability.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 16 Jan 2006, 01:44

another great guide by jdefoe. i'm thinking of doing an attacking heading guide, like an expanded version of the one i did in another post. unless you want to do that topic.
Hala Galacticos

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 16 Jan 2006, 17:33

nah, go ahead, its great to see other users get involved in this stuff. Make it a sticky aswell since its easier for rookies to find the information needed, and of course, it answers common questions.

cfrealmadrid
Veteran Member

Post by cfrealmadrid » 16 Jan 2006, 21:03

how do i make it a sticky? i thought only mods could do that
Hala Galacticos

jdefoe
Forum groupie

Post by jdefoe » 16 Jan 2006, 21:04

just post it. i'll make it a sticky later.

Jdefoe

ultimate_defender

Post by ultimate_defender » 14 Feb 2007, 22:06

Man, I love this forum...I knew just where to look for a heading guide. :D I'm gonna try this...

Anymi
Veteran Member

Post by Anymi » 07 May 2009, 07:21

Im just bringing this guide back to the front because of the vast amount of people wondering about headers.

P.S Where did J defoe go?

Rocky
Veteran Member

Post by Rocky » 09 May 2009, 01:15

Anymi wrote:Im just bringing this guide back to the front because of the vast amount of people wondering about headers.

P.S Where did J defoe go?
According to legend, he gave up after being rejected from a local club for being too short and became an alcoholic, locking himself inside and drinking himself to sleep every night.. Some say he died.. sometime.. somewhere.. While others say he mysteriously disappeared..
If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.

First say to yourself what you would be, and then do what you have to do.

What the mind of man can concieve and believe, it can achieve.

FLYEMIRATES98
Sophomore Member

Post by FLYEMIRATES98 » 17 Aug 2009, 16:21

Thanks alot for this guide... But i play midfield,and i like to go up in attack...But is this technique used for scoring goals...But the only differnce is just hitting the middle of the ball...PLZ REPLY...

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 17 Aug 2009, 18:56

Sure it can! Be aggressive, and just change the angle of the ball so you hit it down (the middle of the ball, like you said). Heading is heading, whether for goals or otherwise.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!