Interview with a pro player: Part I

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
jdefoe
Forum groupie

I'm going to post an interview I did with an anon pro player who happened to play for Canada's Men's World Cup Team. By posting this, I believe i will eliminate a lot of common questions such as "what does it take to go pro" and "what aspects of the game are the most important" Well here it goes:
When i started playing/training soccer, i really didn't spend a lot of time with the team, but i did go to all the games and practices. What i did spend a lot of time was individually. Working on the basic skills that a player cannot get when training with the team. I was also lucky, my father helped me through all the years i trained. He played semi-pro soccer, and we spend twice a day every day of the summer training on passing, controlling the ball, shooting, controlling the ball on the move, shooting on the move passing on the move, all of this you cannot have enought time to practice with the team so my father and i spent time on this on our own, not-stop, AND a lot of time on CONTROLLING the ball.............A LOT OF TIME. Once a player gets good at this basic and necessary skill the game becomes much more easier.

And any time my father was not able to go with me, i would go on my on for a run in the park or through the streets of Halifax, or just juggle for hours. I found that juggling really helped me improve my controll of the ball drastically.

Other things i did was watch a lot of Pro players who play my position. I would tape games, World cup games, Euros, and Champions league games and watch some of the best players, like Zidane, Maradona, Hagi from Romania, Nedved, and others to see whqt they did in certain situations. And then i would try to imitate them in Practice and Games. One thing you have to watch out for is not to end "watching" the game but "studying" the game/players.

If i could change one thing it would be to add some speed, agility, strentgh training programs in my shcedule. I do it now and it has helped me a lot. So if you can get a skipping rope, do some cone drills, smoe quick sprints (5 to 10 yards), and some plyos. Plyometrics is training program where it teaches your muscles to act explosively.

Anyways i hope this helps. Just remember that if you, not just you, but anyone who wants to be a good player can find time and do a little something to improve their game.

For example: I remember in the years i trained with my dad he would not come out and traing with me in the Winter time. SO what i would do is take the ball and go to cleared Parking lot and just juglle the ball for hours, when there is Snow all over the place. People would tell me the next day or week that they saw me juggling the ball in the parking lot last night in the cold, they would say that i was nuts. But now i see them time to time and they tell me they wish they had done the same thing.

Stick to it,and try to Find Time to play soccer, or at least to do something that will help you with your game.

Take it step by step and have fun while doing it.

P.S Dont take criticism the wrong way. Don't let it get to you. Especially from players. if they tell you "you suck" that is just a frustation comeing from them. Take each criticism and change it to a positive, and prove them wrong the next game or practice.

deano7

Thank you very much!! that was a great read that pro is obviously very wise!
Never Criticise your own ability.

zizou10-5

ur posts r exceedingly helpful jdefoe, thanks 4 dat.

AC_Milan>*

Excellent post JDefoe. Really helpful, nice job.

Sig by me.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Yet another great post. I appreciate ur help.

Bestofthebest

you interviewed a pro player, thats cool. Like he said he always played no matter what. I asked some teammates to go play they say its too cold outside, I just play be myself doing the same thing, Juggle and footwork. if you love the game you will find someway to play it even in the worst circumstances. Great post man
Join this Forum: http://footyclips.com/forum

Fantasista

nice article
I used to get tease "you suck" a lot.But then I join this little club we made ourself with one of my friends parent.It went on for 2 years and the result was amazing.i improved in soccer(now Im one of the best in the class),improved in my stamina and lots more.But to bad the little club ended.

Ronnie9

Nice interview man, it's surely gonna halp alota ppl around and this player sounds like a wise guy. man many thanks for this great post, I always enjoy your threads man and keep em comin.

Orandge
New User

Thanks for the post! it makes me think
Orandge

pronounced "O" randge

Croatianblood1
Veteran Member

jdefoe wrote:
Stick to it,and try to Find Time to play soccer, or at least to do something that will help you with your game.

Take it step by step and have fun while doing it.

P.S Dont take criticism the wrong way. Don't let it get to you. Especially from players. if they tell you "you suck" that is just a frustation comeing from them. Take each criticism and change it to a positive, and prove them wrong the next game or practice.
Yeah i really like this part of the interview because alot of players forget to have while practicing and playing. To me, if i'm not having fun, then why bother? I also like the quote about players saying "you suck" to your face, it motivates me to beat them and be better then them.
Excellent post JDefoe, a quite inspirational post!

soccerstar087
New User

Awesome post. Im looking to tryout for a semi-pro indoor team. This type of stuff is really helpful. Thanks
I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. - Michael Jordan

Falcao

i mostly juggle,freestyle , do feints, dribble against goal and shoot. free kicks.
thats when i have fun.

but some things are important to know, even if it aint fun

davinho92
New User

nice post who is this player. and what team dose he/she play for.

soccerfool2391
Sophomore Member

wow this inspires me alot..

mufc21
Veteran Member

yes who is this player and thank you for this. Also could i use this in my website. I will day it was by you but it is so helpful i feel that it will ehlp the training aspect of my site.