JDefoe's shooting guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
upandcoming

henry23 wrote:nice post, and ya, following through with your shot in soccer is very overrated. It can make a great difference in the power in a shot. To add more power, players must swing their leg through the ball, while landing on their kicking foot to ensure the proper transfer of power from the locked ankle to the ball.

adding topspin could add power, to do this, drive your knee up very quickly while you hit the ball off the top of your foot.

I never heard of landing on your kicking foot for more power how does that work since your non-kicking foot is always planted do you jump onto your kicking foot after you strike the ball i don't understand. I think that is how Rivaldo shoots though

jdefoe
Forum groupie

you strike though the ball, and follow through, and "drive" your leg forward as you shoot, and you will land on your kicking foot. It does add much more power onto your shot. Watch the pros shoot, u'll notice that they all do this.

Toe Bounce

Hey, this was really helpful! I've never tried shooting with curled toes before, but I'm going to go give it a try next chance I get.

upandcoming

jdefoe wrote:you strike though the ball, and follow through, and "drive" your leg forward as you shoot, and you will land on your kicking foot. It does add much more power onto your shot. Watch the pros shoot, u'll notice that they all do this.

haha i went out today and looked at my shooting mechanics and i do shoot landing on the foot i struck the ball with i guess i never relized. After relizing that today i focused a lot on my shooting mechanics because i guess i do not know how i shoot good enough which you need to do in order to shoot the same way every time.

Juventus10FC

Great post Jdefoe! I've been wanting to make a post asking for shooting tips and you practically read my mind! Amazing guide, very helpful and detailed.

You are the master. :D

certified_thug
New User

good guide. but i broke my ankle last christmas and ever since i have been having trouble kickin the ball with force because my ankle always hurts. and my aiming is really bad. any suggestions or tips? :roll:

jdefoe
Forum groupie

I'd suggest rolling the ball around with your foot and twisting your ankle in different ways and "twitching" it to strengthen it, and it will also help emulate the way your ankle moves on the field. Practice locking the ankle and following through while landing on the kicking foot.

certified_thug
New User

thanks man, u rock

Kew

certified_thug wrote:good guide. but i broke my ankle last christmas and ever since i have been having trouble kickin the ball with force because my ankle always hurts. and my aiming is really bad. any suggestions or tips? :roll:
see a physio, they can teach u the proper way to strengthen ur ankle. It's important that u have a professional look after you after an injury.
hope u get well soon

certified_thug
New User

i just started using sports tape and it helps alot.

Klinsmann
New User

quick question about the state of the knee. Some other sites suggest u stretch ure shoting leg as far out as possible to enhance the probability of landing on that leg. So which is it? Bended knee or srtaightened?

Azureus
Sophomore Member

Thanks, this should be really helpful for me. I can't get a consistant kick going.

Klinsmann
New User

i notice that a lot of professionals stretch out their opposite hand (left if you shoot rite footed and vice versa). Is this important at all?

hustler89
Veteran Member

I believe that helps to balance the player as they are landing from the shot.
Because if you keep your hands by your sides, then you will easily lose balance.
For me its a question about balance, but maybe others have different opinions.

Chel-se-a
New User

When I try to use the instep drive, my foot turns about 45 degrees the inside. No matter what I do it just keeps happening. Do you guys have any advice from keeping this from happening in the future; I wouldn't want to risk injury from doing something incorrectly in a redudant manner.