JDefoe's shooting guide

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
jdefoe
Forum groupie

1. Approach the ball from an angle - the power in shooting comes from your midsection (Abs and lower back). Trying to rely on leg power will cause you to swing to hard, resulting in inaccuracy.

2. Take small steps on your toes as you approach, long strides will usually put your body in the wrong position as you strike the ball.

3. Place your non-kicking foot even with the ball, but not touching it. There should be about a ball's width worth of space between your foot and the ball. It is important to plant next to the ball though, because planting behind it will cause the ball to rise, while planting in front of it will cause you to "top" the ball. Point the toes of your non kicking foot at your target, this will direct the ball. Adjust that foot position with the non kicking foot. Not even with the ball make it a few inches more in front of the ball then even. Get your head over the ball and drive through the ball with a bended knee.

4. Keep your body going forward - do not lean back or away from the ball - staying 'over the ball' will help to keep it from rising or tailing off to one side or the other.

5. Strike the ball with your toes pointed down and ankle locked - try curling your toes under as if you were trying to pick up a sock. Curling toes under does two things, first it gets the hardest part of your foot to stiffen - your toes - out of the way. Second it causes the tendons in your ankle to lock..... try wiggling your foot around with your toes curled under, you can't do it.
Curl the toes
Point foot down
Strike with top of foot or "laces".

6. Follow through with striking foot. After you strike the ball, follow through with a little hop on your plant foot, and land with your kicking foot pointed at the target. Stopping halfway, or chopping of the shooting movement, usually leads to bad shooting posture and a shot that sails high and/or wide of the target.

Most important is not trying to hit the ball too hard. Instead, make sure you are hitting the ball solidly, with good technique.
Last edited by jdefoe on 15 Jan 2006, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sputnik

wow another extremely helpful post Jdefoe. what wld i do without you :) uve just solved my shooting crisis mate, thx a lot. you are an asset to this site

jdefoe
Forum groupie

thanks for the kind words, i'm glad you liked it. check out my college recruitment guide under "career" of the competition thread. I think you will like it. enjoy

henry23
New User

nice post, and ya, following through with your shot in soccer is very overrated. It can make a great difference in the power in a shot. To add more power, players must swing their leg through the ball, while landing on their kicking foot to ensure the proper transfer of power from the locked ankle to the ball.

adding topspin could add power, to do this, drive your knee up very quickly while you hit the ball off the top of your foot.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

dont u mean underrated? it doesnt matter we understand what u meant anyways. if you have anymore tips on topspin please post it in my topic on topspin.
thanks

mak9

*~El Maestro~* wrote:dont u mean underrated? it doesnt matter we understand what u meant anyways. if you have anymore tips on topspin please post it in my topic on topspin.
thanks
Yeah, it should be underrated, your sentence contradicts the "overrated" part.

MickyD#9
Veteran Member

I had never heard of curling your toes sometimes when you kick so i decided to go down to the field and try it.....and to my surprise it actually added more power to my shot while remaining accurate. Thanks jdefoe

FD_ FOR_MS-What's Missing?
www.freestylersdownunder.com/forum

AusSkills

wow this is a great guide jdefoe, it will help alot of people with shooting difficulties and should be stickied if it hasnt been already. i tested the stuff for myself and it all makes sense and helps with shooting technique.
keep up the good work

Cheers
"Understand that the ball is a sphere and that we are not designed by nature to control it with our feet. Our nature is to control it with the hand. But he who can take complete command of it with his feet will always have an edge, and win in this game"

Crea-Alize

thnx mate, it's a very good and helpful post
Mentality

kloft

two questions:

1. To control the height of the ball, we just hit a different area of the ball?

I always leaned back when I wanted to hit a higher ball, even though I always knew that's wrong, and now i seriously want to correct that.

2. I know it's a big ask, but could anybody upload a video of shooting in slow motion, with each step by step as listed in jdefoe's guide. this would be an awesome help to everybody who needs shooting help.

jonny55

kloft wrote:
1. To control the height of the ball, we just hit a different area of the ball?
as u already said when you lean back the ball will fly high.
in addition to this you could bring your supporting foot more away from the ball.
2nd you can hit the ball at the bottom so you hit under the ball and it will go up.

sry 4 bad english :/

kloft

hey i tried to instep properly without it hurting..i used some tape wrapped around my feet and it worked...

but now heres my next problem..i don't know why but i always seem to shoot straight at the keeper..i tried to aim for the corner but it still went straight to the keeper.. (long distance of course..cuz within the 18yrd box its so easy to score now)

i tried shootin several times but it kept on goin straight at keeper or inaccurately flyin off.

Sputnik

im sure it ddnt go str8 2 da keeper, as in he ddnt move. just if it doesnt go straight into the corner most long shots will easily be caught. you just need to practise your accuracy long range, simple.
  (¯`v´¯)
   `·.¸.·´
  ¸.·´¸.·´¨)    ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´      (¸.·´      (¸.·´´·¸¸.·¨¯`

kloft

yeah apparently he didnt move. or slightly..

i cant seem to aim for the corners from any angle. when i shoot from the left side of the pitch..it goes into the center of the goal..

so when i shoot from the middle, i tell myself to pretend im on the left. if i do that, the ball goes wide. if i juz tell myself im at the middle, it goes straight again..

should i curve my foot or sth to aim for corners?

human

most probably you dont place your supporting foot correctly and thatswhy your toes are not pointing towards the target,actually when u have placed your supporting foot down your lleft side should be facing the target