Quick Question [Long Story]

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Juancho
Sophomore Member

First of all, hello everybody! My name is Juan, and i'm from Uruguay (this mornig we lost our chance to go to the world cup losing against Australia =/ ).

Anyways, the problem goes like this: I didn't use to like soccer (i was the cliche little fat boy who hates sports, blabblabla), but about 1 or 2 years ago, i've became mad about it, i play it all the time. Im 15 now, by the way.

I'd love to make it "pro", or at least play in some team, but obviously my skills are limited, because of my short playing period.

My question is: Now that i'm 15, with "reasonable, mid-low" skills, is it too late to adquire good skills? And is it possible that some team could take me, then?

I think i lost my chance, but, who knows...

Thanks,
Juan

peps1154
Veteran Member

I dont think its too late but U need to practice alot, Im 13 almost 14, and I used to be fat too and I also started practicing hard about a 1 year ago now Im very skinny tall and Im the best player out of my school however, Im nothing compared to people who have been playing all their lives, but I belive that with aliitle luck and if I countinue to play I might become a pro. So good luck.

Juancho
Sophomore Member

Well, yea, i finished the schoolyear, so i'll start a daily routine of running in the morning, and then some soccer training...

I hope i can get better =P
In the field, we don't sweat.... We drip Latin American blood
GO URUGUAY!

madridfc
Veteran Member

if you really want to go far, it is essential that you put a lot of time, energy, and very hard work into your training. some ideas you might try in terms of fitness:
1) if you want to lose weight, go for a long, slow run (30 min or more. you could even go for like two hours if you wanted). this is a fat burning workout. just bring a cd player or ipod or some form of music so you don't get too bored.

2) pace out short 10-20 yard sprints starting from a dead start, a walk, or a slow jog. you can also start by a number of different ways such as jumping up and heading an imaginary ball, starting with your stomach on the ground, with your back turned, or whatever you want. the key is just to explode (!) right away after you get up, or hit the ground.focus on pushing off right from the start to improve your explosiveness.

gotta go to class. more to come later. hope this helps for now and good luck
olé

"I wouldn't say i was the best manager in the business, i was in the top one."

Juancho
Sophomore Member

Thanks!... But the objective of the run isn't to lose weight... I guess that it's to stay fit and to gain endurance...
In the field, we don't sweat.... We drip Latin American blood
GO URUGUAY!

*yung-ital*
Pending Mod

i wouldn't say its too late, but playing since your young really helps. But becoming pro, is one of the hardest things. you have to be a phenom to become pro. you have to have hype already at this age, everyone has to know you, you have to play for the top, and dominate in that. but 10-15 is a sensitive age, i would say 16-20 is an ideal age, of when you should be starting ot be the best, because everyone will have grown, aquired the proper muscle and so on.
for me, i will be happy to just be paid to play on a team. its always nice if i got a contract to a high team, anyone wants to, but you have to be phenominal.

as for your training goes, try and do some sprints with the ball across a field. i heard thats what maradona used to do, just dribble at his highest speed and see what the outcome was. as we all know, it must have been a good technique.

Bestofthebest

yung-..... is right, Your story closely resembles mine, I was the kid who got pick lasted during scrimmages,At 14 I really wanted, I devote my time to practice and soccer was my passion. I am not phenom but i want to play pro and its really going to be hard. I like being challenge, its the exciting part about soccer. I don't get picked last anymore :D but i still i have time to improve, Next year will be my last year of soccer in high school. Next year I wanna OWN! :D

waynroony

im 13 and im in 8th grade i have been playing soccer since i was about 5 years old. but i never really took it seriously until about last year. i had alot of knowledge about the game so i had something to build on, which is what u wnat to look for, something u can build on. focus on what u need to do to get better and then practice the mess out of urself :D
Is there a reason ur reading my post and not playing soccer???

joey
New User

i dont want to make a new topic so i will ask my question here. i will be 15 in about 2 weeks. i live in haiti and there is almost no way for me to get noticed by any scouts and such but i will be coming to the U.S when im 17 for my final year in high school were i hope i will be on the soccer team. i am the best in my U16 league, everybody says so but i dont know if i can still turn pro when 17 and just then starting to be noticed

expert
Site Admin

joey wrote:i dont want to make a new topic so i will ask my question here. i will be 15 in about 2 weeks. i live in haiti and there is almost no way for me to get noticed by any scouts and such but i will be coming to the U.S when im 17 for my final year in high school were i hope i will be on the soccer team. i am the best in my U16 league, everybody says so but i dont know if i can still turn pro when 17 and just then starting to be noticed
So you're asking if it's possible to turn pro by playing one year of high school soccer in USA? How do you expect a serious answer considering that nobody here has seen you play? Unless you're the next Freddy Adu (which I find highly unlikely) you probably won't turn pro at the age of 17.

I've always been baffled as to why people would even ask this rhetorical question but I think I understand now. It's because people are lazy and don't want to work with their local institutions, instead, everybody is looking for shortcuts. If you believe you're a pro-level player what are you doing playing with 16-year olds? Get on a competitive adult team and be the "best" in that league.

peps1154
Veteran Member

Experts kind of harsh. But he is right. Thankfully i will have 4 yrs. in highs school. Anyways U can always get drafted out of collage if ur very good. Of course u won't be a star but u will be a pro and that would be good enaugh for me (heck semi-pro would be good enaught). Seriously though even if u dont get scouted and don't become a pro at 18, if ur good u migh get a schollarship to collage, and from there u might get drafted to MLS. BTW is it possible to enter the draft while in high school? Im asking because in the last draft there were two 16 year olds picked.

expert
Site Admin

Sorry if I came across too harsh but this question has been asked so many times that it has made me cynical.
peps1154 wrote:BTW is it possible to enter the draft while in high school? Im asking because in the last draft there were two 16 year olds picked.
The MLS doesn't scout players from high school. I don't know the 16-year olds you're referring to, but I'm sure they were picked from the youth national team.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

why is it that everyoine on this site wnats to play professional soccer lol

peps1154
Veteran Member

Futbolstud wrote:why is it that everyoine on this site wnats to play professional soccer lol
Because all people here wanted it so much they looked on the internet to see how to improve and they found this site.

expert
Site Admin

Great question, Futbolstud. :) The truth is that 99.9% of all people here WANT to play pro, but only about 0.1% are actually doing something about it.