beating players

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
mikej
Sophomore Member

i,ve been dribbling round my house for a few years now and my close control is pretty good bt in matches i cant seem 2 beat players 1v1. any1 got any tips?

prtglsoccerfan22

you need to spend time practicing 1v1's. dont just wait till game situation. ask a friend to go out back and try 1v1's on each other. thats the only way your going to get good; is with a real life thinking person against you.
learn fakes and jukes too. and practice them, not just dribbling, but sciessors move, stepover moves, pullbacks, and fakes.
-Marcus-

mikej
Sophomore Member

ok thanks mate ill try getting somone to practise with me from now on

mikej
Sophomore Member

any1 else got any other advice please?

frizzyan
Veteran Member

I don't think 1on1 is great..

Here's my take:

a few months ago..I was really really good at 1on1s and I could pull of some crazy tricks.. But then, I never seemed to be able to get past defenders in a game situation.

I believe the best way to get past is master tricks then try them in practice matches. the more you try the tricks the more you'll succeed in them

ive also learned something else at the same time. tricks ain't everything. I can beat a defender easily just with my sheer pace instead of screwing up a bunch of rivelinos and scissors.

if you fail in beating defenders the first time, keep on trying it just means u need more experience. do you seriously think that great players like Pele, maradonna, cruyff, and modern ones like ronaldo, ronaldinho and rooney can dribble past players the first time they've ever done it in a game very successfully.of course not. they've screwed up for sure, but the thing is they always try the trick and the more they do it..the more they get used to it and look at some of the tricks they do now. it's breathtaking.

keep on trying them and honestly, just doing 1on1s don't help a great deal..at least for me.

mikej
Sophomore Member

yeah i dont like using tricks too much in matches for fear of messing up. i tend to use dummies and fakes. ill probably try practising 1v1 though. thanks for the advice.
Last edited by mikej on 15 Jan 2006, 11:58, edited 1 time in total.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

yea i disagree with frizzyan i think its better to play alot of one on one. it gives you more confidence with the ball sence in 1v1 you dont have to split ball time with neone on ur team. more ball means more confrt with the ball and u dont even have to do tricks just practice hips shoulder dropping and feet and diffrent kinds of juking.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

Futbolstud wrote:yea i disagree with frizzyan i think its better to play alot of one on one. it gives you more confidence with the ball sence in 1v1 you dont have to split ball time with neone on ur team. more ball means more confrt with the ball and u dont even have to do tricks just practice hips shoulder dropping and feet and diffrent kinds of juking.
no doubt, u need more experience. and suggesting not to do one on one isn't really bright. try to put yourself in a situation where u have to dribble as much as you can because this will give you more experience and you will be able to learn what to do and what not to do

bongo5959
New User

guyz 1 on 1 isnt the whole game i mean ya some dudes go thrwough everyone but stil i mean ya u can beat one person wat do u do then bat 10 more. ya its u should try to beat 1 or 2 maybe 3 ppl but then u should get ur head up and look to posses
I play what i wanna play i play as good as i want to play. You dont like it tough this aint no burger king u cant have it your way.

bongo5959
New User

i think a simple step over or something to let u get a step on some1 is the best way then u pick ur head up and pass the ball around
I play what i wanna play i play as good as i want to play. You dont like it tough this aint no burger king u cant have it your way.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

bongo5959 wrote:guyz 1 on 1 isnt the whole game i mean ya some dudes go thrwough everyone but stil i mean ya u can beat one person wat do u do then bat 10 more. ya its u should try to beat 1 or 2 maybe 3 ppl but then u should get ur head up and look to posses
i'm not saying you should dribble everyone but dribbling one player and then passing the ball helps alot because that's one less player to think of and you have options. i never said to dribble the whole team though.

Futbolstud
Veteran Member

well think of it like this skills create space so who r u gonna pass to when theres someone in the way? you have to create space i'm not sayin dribble 3 poeple thats not the point of the game the point of the game is to keep possession of the ball so if dribbling that one person gives u a better pass and u dont have a good pass to make then why not? " Good players find space great players create space" is a quote i heard from my friend that went to the manchester united camp, he heard it from one of the manchester coaches and brought it back to me he went to man united summer camp but never mind thats a diffrent post lol

kloft

hey footballstud

what if you're being double-teammed or triple-teammed? I get that all the time and I find 1on1 quite useless. I'd rather be in a real scenario and practice.

*~El Maestro~*
Veteran Member

im not football stud but i have some advice

my freinds and I always play this game. its not one on one but you still dribble. You can play it with 5 players or more or less whatever you wish. and the person with the ball has to dribble the others. very simple. and they all come on you and try to get the ball from you. then the next person with the ball has to dribble the rest. there are no specific rules but it helps for dribbling. Its just whoever has the ball needs to dribble the other players.

mikej
Sophomore Member

i just want to know how to beat players 1v1 without using tricks all of the time. Is practising with other players 1v1 the only way to develop this skill? I have quite good close control but I just cant beat players consistantly.