Defend against opponents shielding the ball

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Jack-of-all-trades

Defend against opponents shielding the ball

Post by Jack-of-all-trades » 24 Dec 2014, 10:55

Recently I've been playing with some older and physically bigger boys. One frequent problem that I always have is when defending against opponents with the ball who are holding me off with their hands, arms, etc, especially when they are physically larger than me, I would feel overpowered and find it very hard to reach for the ball. Any tips will be appreciated, thank you. :D
Joga Bonito is the way I play.

expert
Site Admin

Re: Defend against opponents shielding the ball

Post by expert » 28 Dec 2014, 04:32

Hey, it depends on the situation.
One thing you can try is slide tackling (if you're playing on grass). This is usually pretty effective when you are near the sideline. Other than that you want to keep moving and pressuring the ball - you don't want to be in the situtation where you are just ball watching.
Anyways good to see somebody who is still active on the forums. :)

Jack-of-all-trades

Post by Jack-of-all-trades » 29 Dec 2014, 11:11

@expert

Thanks for replying. Been playing Futsal more due to bad weather conditions outdoors, so sliding tackles might not be a good option for indoors. Keep moving and pressuring, does that mean staying close to opponent and just covering his passing and shooting angles, if i can't win physical battles?
Joga Bonito is the way I play.

fir_nev
Sgt. I can't get enough of Asian chicks

Post by fir_nev » 06 May 2015, 01:11

Jack-of-all-trades wrote:@expert

Thanks for replying. Been playing Futsal more due to bad weather conditions outdoors, so sliding tackles might not be a good option for indoors. Keep moving and pressuring, does that mean staying close to opponent and just covering his passing and shooting angles, if i can't win physical battles?
Yes, I always do that but it will be very tough if Ur teammates do not close down the others.