Improving Calmness & Composure

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
desire10
Veteran Member

Improving Calmness & Composure

Post by desire10 » 26 Aug 2011, 09:27

Well, how can I improve this. Is experience the only key to unlocking composure, and a cool head on the ball. Read through my last blog

- here, I talked about how I lacked composure. I'm mostly talking about in th sense of receiving, turning, and then passing it on.

I'm looking at getting some other good players together to play possession/small-sided games with. I will also be playing indoor in the off-season. This should all contribute to my calmness + composure.

Any insight?
Everything you need, is already inside.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 26 Aug 2011, 13:08

I think being new has a lot to do with it. Everyone goes through that, even great pros who switch locales. You feel the need to instantly prove yourself to your new club and often, can't, and the pressure makes you screw up the most routine of balls.

Getting to know your teammates and feeling more accepted as a friend as well as a teammate would help. The frustration will then show itself less, or at least manifest in different ways. For example, rather than being pissed off inside, and feeling like your team hates you for screwing up, you could later make a joke like "Yeah, don't know what I was thinking, my grandmother could've done that!" and your team will probably help you play off your disappointment and encourage you that you can do better next time.

Try organizing some team building such as a party or dinner sometime. Maybe you'll find it'll help. Again, this all ties in to the 'time' aspect though, so there's nothing I think you can really do to rush it.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

Met

Post by Met » 26 Aug 2011, 14:27

I think Rome's advice is good but doesn't apply to your situation. Once you are in, I think that's where it's most effective.

I think it was the occasion that got the better of you. It was your first time and I think the talk with the coach really help settle you down a little bit. It's not experience that you need, because I think you have it as you can judge that you over or under estimated time on the ball, which means in your experience, you usually know the right amount of time. It's probably nerves, you wanting to show you are worth a spot.

I suggest a pre match ritual. It gives you a focus to put your worry energy to. People like Rafael Nadal, he wants everything perfect, because if it is, he knows he will play well. In actual fact, I don't think putting two bottles in a certain position will make you play well but psychologically, it's a massive boost to know you have done everything in your power to make sure you play well. He does it at every court he plays in whether it's an Open Final or a crap quarterfinal in some far off place.

For me, my ritual takes about a day before kick off. It's all about getting you outside your head, focused at the job at hand. Think of it this way, the most anxious time for a pilot is taking off. Once in the air, everything is cosy. He can relax and let his experience/ skills do their thing. (Well maybe not the best analogy but I hope you get the idea).

A ritual and experiences of trials, you'll soon be able to play your normal game on trials.

Met

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 26 Aug 2011, 15:54

The trick to being composed on the ball is knowing that you have a second or two before you're going to be pressured. Always be aware of your surroundings and make sure to find space. Thats the only way to give yourself more time when you receive the ball.
When you do that, you'll have 1 or 2 seconds to make your decision to pass/dribble/shoot etc. (This amount of time decreases the closer you get to your opponents goal.)

Also, a good first touch is vital because then you don't have to waste any precious extra time controlling the ball.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 26 Aug 2011, 21:09

Great advice Rome, but I mislead you bu saying it was a "trial", it was just a one-off try-out, the team didn't take me in.

Thanks Scott, and especially you Met, I've actually been considering a pre-game ritual, I just don't want a religious one were if stuff one thing up or something comes up, I imprint in my head that everythings ruined and I'll have a shocker.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 27 Aug 2011, 03:53

I think its still a matter of confidence.. Confidence can definetly make you or break you.... If you are religious, saying a little prayer humbling yourself out to God always helps... In my case, I tell God how much I trained, how much I wanted to make this team or play well in this game, but that still I am nothing with out him, that i am weak, and without his help I will undoubtly fail, but that with him on my side I can do things that seem impossible, I say how much I have worked for this goal, but that I need a little help from him, and I want him to be my strength... It sure helpss...

Also, you can try being loud.. Kind of "acting confident" to become confident, fake it till you make it if you will.. If you act loud the first minutes of practice or trial, asking for the ball, telling others they have man on, and sh*t like that, you automatically start being that way for the remainder of the game... Its true, try it. I care about the game and I want to win, for that reason I freaking take it seriously and am loud and always talk and take leadership on the field, speaking in a loud voice... After doing it and not giving a fu** about it and keep playing, it becomes automatic.. In summary, if you FORCE yourself to act like a guy that doesn't give a fu** about the rest, and just cares about winning, playing hard, and competing, you will start acting that way automatically and naturally..

Last but not least, be competitive... Get a little pissed and have a little temper, are you really gonna let those kids take what you worked and trained for and what you care about all day, all week, all your life? Thats a thing that always helps me.... I see kids owning the game, and I get pissed, what the fu**, so I prepare for months for this day, dream about it, wake up early, think about so much, to get here and let the moment pass infront of me and not do anything about it? fu** no, i'm not about to let these kids that want it as much as me take my dream for me.. Get fired up, get mad, be competitve and have a little temper... Gattuso, Park, Tevez like.....Have BALLS on the pitch. CARE about the game.. You WANT to win even if its a friendly scrimage versus some girls, you wan't to win and you play 110% because loosing sucks and you play to freaking win ALWAYS.
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 28 Aug 2011, 04:12

panchester07 wrote:I think its still a matter of confidence.. Confidence can definetly make you or break you.... If you are religious, saying a little prayer humbling yourself out to God always helps... In my case, I tell God how much I trained, how much I wanted to make this team or play well in this game, but that still I am nothing with out him, that i am weak, and without his help I will undoubtly fail, but that with him on my side I can do things that seem impossible, I say how much I have worked for this goal, but that I need a little help from him, and I want him to be my strength... It sure helpss...

Also, you can try being loud.. Kind of "acting confident" to become confident, fake it till you make it if you will.. If you act loud the first minutes of practice or trial, asking for the ball, telling others they have man on, and sh*t like that, you automatically start being that way for the remainder of the game... Its true, try it. I care about the game and I want to win, for that reason I freaking take it seriously and am loud and always talk and take leadership on the field, speaking in a loud voice... After doing it and not giving a fu** about it and keep playing, it becomes automatic.. In summary, if you FORCE yourself to act like a guy that doesn't give a fu** about the rest, and just cares about winning, playing hard, and competing, you will start acting that way automatically and naturally..

Last but not least, be competitive... Get a little pissed and have a little temper, are you really gonna let those kids take what you worked and trained for and what you care about all day, all week, all your life? Thats a thing that always helps me.... I see kids owning the game, and I get pissed, what the fu**, so I prepare for months for this day, dream about it, wake up early, think about so much, to get here and let the moment pass infront of me and not do anything about it? fu** no, i'm not about to let these kids that want it as much as me take my dream for me.. Get fired up, get mad, be competitve and have a little temper... Gattuso, Park, Tevez like.....Have BALLS on the pitch. CARE about the game.. You WANT to win even if its a friendly scrimage versus some girls, you wan't to win and you play 110% because loosing sucks and you play to freaking win ALWAYS.
That was amazing help, thanks panch.