more drills less time

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

more drills less time

Post by collin » 20 Aug 2011, 19:37

hey guys, this has probably been somewhere on here before, but what do you prefer in a training session, more drills with less time, or less drills with more time. Recently, i have just started doing more drills with less time. I use a stopwatch.
So pretty much i am doing 3x as many drills as i normally do, (about 8 drills in 40 minutes) but i only do them for say 5 minutes. One thing i have noticed in my training sessions is they are alot more intense.
For some mental reason i get myself into this state like "ok its only 5 minutes so go all out and go intense as possible", and before, when i would do 1 drill for say 20 minutes, i felt like i would get almost bored? maybe thats not the right word but close to it. I know there are alot of different views on this, i know alot of people say repetition is key, but i have heard other people on this forum for example panchester, stress the important of an intense 110% training session. What do you guys think?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 21 Aug 2011, 02:22

It's been stressed a lot before in just about every training section on here - quality over quantity.

I'd tell you the amount I do, but there's just too many variables (which drill, it's required effort), but I personally don't spend much time on a single drill.
Everything you need, is already inside.

heiky0711

Re: more drills less time

Post by heiky0711 » 23 Jan 2013, 09:29

collin wrote:hey guys, this has probably been somewhere on here before, but what do you prefer in a training session, more drills with less time, or less drills with more time. Recently, i have just started doing more drills with less time. I use a stopwatch.
So pretty much i am doing 3x as many drills as i normally do, (about 8 drills in 40 minutes) but i only do them for say 5 minutes. One thing i have noticed in my training sessions is they are alot more intense.
For some mental reason i get myself into this state like "ok its only 5 minutes so go all out and go intense as possible", and before, when i would do 1 drill for say 20 minutes, i felt like i would get almost bored? maybe thats not the right word but close to it. I know there are alot of different views on this, i know alot of people say repetition is key, but i have heard other people on this forum for example panchester, stress the important of an intense 110% training session. What do you guys think?
Firstly, thank you for posting this. Personally, I would normally concentrate on one drill for say 20 minutes. Based on experience, focusing on one drill allows the player to master a particular skill. So, for example, if the player is weak on kicking a long ball with his left foot. Then he should work on it for hours.

Secondly, the high intensity with various drills allows a football player to explore into new skills. This gives him or her some new diversity.

An opinion, first do the second option to explore and identify one's weaknesses let's say, his left foot.

Then, apply it into the first option which is to practice on that drill exclusively until reasonably master the drill before moving on to others.

Practice and hopefully the fruits will come. :D

My Latest Football Vlog: https://youtu.be/AAmtqY6kjFM
Subscribe my YT channel: http://bit.do/theheiky11
My blog http://soccer-tricks.blogspot.com

expert
Site Admin

Post by expert » 23 Jan 2013, 10:31

Very good point by Collin. I could definitely see how having a stopwatch would make your drills more intense.
I think the major factor here is the type of drill you are working on. For example, learning a particular technique is all about repetition.
But if your drill is about transitioning between skills, then intensity is more important.
What I mean is, if one particular drill involves dribbling and shooting, you want to practice it at speed like in a real game.

dog
New User

Post by dog » 06 Sep 2015, 07:53

It depends what drill. Intense dribbling drills would be at the start of my training, and I would do seven or eight different drills for 5 minutes each. But if it was just learning the outside bend technique or working on your weak foot shooting, then long drills would be better to really get into analyzing the technique.