scottS4 training videos

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
scottS4
Veteran Member

scottS4 training videos

Post by scottS4 » 29 Jul 2011, 15:09

After watching collin's last video, I decided to go out to the university fields and film my own individual training. I filmed free kicks, instep drives, and this drill I created that was inspired by collin's video. Comments and critiques appreciated!

instep drives:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0-8KYW1 ... re=related

At first, I was hitting them harder and skying them over the bar, so I decided to take some power off and focus on the technique instead.

freekicks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUUoRnQa ... er&list=UL

I'm not very happy with these but I'm going to show them anyway. Again, I had to take power off in order to keep (some of them) under the bar. If anyone has feedback for me on these, that'd be great.

left foot freekicks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObQnjq67 ... re=related

Again, some feedback would be great. I usually try for a Beckham style and I succeeded on 2 or 3 here. I figure the ones that went high were just because I hit the bottom of the ball. I look like I'm taking a corner kick though eh?

collin drill: (juggle 10X, kick high and control, dribble through cones, shoot)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSN6NLO1 ... er&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTIzyewu ... re=related

Barcaelona10

Post by Barcaelona10 » 29 Jul 2011, 15:26

Your shots with your left foot were great. One thing I would recommend would be to work on shooting while running.

Miilleniium

Post by Miilleniium » 29 Jul 2011, 15:56

I saw all your videos scott and I think you should try to put something tall enough in the freekicks so they look like players because in real games you wont have a lot of space to kick the ball that easily!

another thing I saw is that you should try to put more cones to drill, you are not practicing enough the dribbling with only 3!

and i think your left foot shots were better than the right foot shots
and i really like the effect you gave the ball in the instep drives

who old are you?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 29 Jul 2011, 19:20

about 10/12 of those shots would have had plenty of room to get over a wall millennium esp on a free kick. 10 yards is more than you think if the ref isn't retarded.

Met

Post by Met » 29 Jul 2011, 20:41

Your instep drives, you are leaning back too far. The reason you sky them is because you hit the ball on the way up. Check klc's guide. It's the most detailed guide I ever seen.

Your freekicks, I can't really tell the technique. If you are using Beckham's technique, again lots of guides on youtube. Painfully analyse over every point. If you focus on every little point, you find whats comfortable for you and get the desired results. There's not enough bend nor pace.

Don't really see the point of connecting multiple drills when you aren't polished on everything else on its own.

I'm a great believer in perfecting what you do in game, when you train alone. Do you get alot of freekicks? E.g. Ronaldo is pretty much techincally faultless and so he has freetime to practice freekicks. At lower levels, it's just more effective to put it in the box and give your opposition something to deal with. Do you shoot alot outside the box? Have a look at your game and try to improve your strengths. It's all noble trying to improve weaker foot, but you won't see the benefits unless you do it in the game. E.g. if you saw that defenders always knew you shoot with your right and never gave you an opportunity to do so, either get better at left foot shooting or faking to gives yourself a yard or so.

Just my opinion. I thought you deserved a bit more detailed comment seeing as you took the time to post up vids. I know how much hassle you went through. Take what helps, discard the rest.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 01 Aug 2011, 04:12

nice shooting man! thats the kind of shooting i need. By the way i didn't even know that was my drill! lol, nice ball set also, the ball looks like it rolls pretty fast on that ground

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 01 Aug 2011, 07:48

Met has gave the best feedback, I agree with him.

Some feedback of my own: I love your left foot, very good imo, well done.

The free kicks are lacking curve, and lacking pace, otherwise your accuracy is pretty good!

The dribbling between the cones segment - You look like your lacking a bit of lateral agility there? Are you going all out between the cones, 100 percent intensity? - if so, work on your agility, and also I'd keep the ball under closer control.

Juggling is obviously fine, but heres a BIG tip! - I juggle like you as well! - little toe touches :) yew! Nothing wrong with those, but I have found that ever since trying to juggle 'normally' in my routine (higher up on foot, getting backspin on the ball), that my touch has gotten a fair bit better! I suggest you give it a go, it's more challenging.

Also, out of curiosity, what level do you play at?
Everything you need, is already inside.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 01 Aug 2011, 16:52

Thank you for the feedback everyone. I agree that the free kicks need more pace, and I will start incorporating more and more power everytime I do them from now on. Before we started filming, I was hitting them with much more power but they were all going 3 or 4 feet over the crossbar, so I decided to take a bit off of them. (Especially the right foot freekicks.)

I wasn't going all out through the cones, but I agree 100% that I need to improve my lateral agility. Whenever we do agility in team practices, I'm below average. I've also never done cone drills before, so I'll practice more at them and should have much better control soon.

I'm going to do another video soon with more instep drives. These 3 didn't do me justice. I tried pausing at the moment of impact, and my form appears to be good in all of them. I don't seem to lean back except for the second shot. The only problem was where I was striking the ball. In the second strike I hit far too low on the ball, and in the third I was too far over to the right, which is why it scuffed slightly.

I'm 17 and play in the top division for a city wide u-18 league.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 01 Aug 2011, 20:06

^ I'm not sure how the leagues work in ur side of the world, is it a representative team? Semi-pro? Or just ameteur level?
Everything you need, is already inside.

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 01 Aug 2011, 20:19

Its "club soccer" which means you register with a soccer club, try out, and they put you on a team that matches your ability. I'm on the top team for the 1994 age group at my club and we compete in "tier 1" against the other top teams in my city. It isn't representative but there are some very good players in my league. About 10 or so have had trials in Europe, (2 of my team mates just tried out for Hoffenheim but unfortunately didn't make it) Some have had caps for Canada u17, things like that.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 01 Aug 2011, 20:29

Some feedback on the "collin dril":

I think you need to work on your control big time mate.. Your an old dog in this forum and you've read many guides by jdefoe, soccer4lfie, iwannagopro, NBP, etc. They explain very well the concepts of dribbling, touch and control and you have no excuse not to have a far more advanced touch than average with the knowledge and guides on this site.

You juggle okay, and when you punt it up and control it first time your touch is quite heavy. Then when you weave in and out of the cones your touch isn't very smooth, and you do hit the cones a few times :?

Are your cleats comfortable? They look very new and fresh, and that is a thing that ALWAYS makes my touch heavier and doesn't let me contact the ball properly to make it do whatever I want.

Last but not least, you are going about 60%. For your training to make you improve you need to go 110% to your limits, sell the feints properly, and exploooode.. If you train hard you play easy, and you play how you practice, your not practicing to a high enough intensity to improve..... It has to be done quicker, and you have to be in more control of the ball. Lot of practicing to do scotty :)
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

scottS4
Veteran Member

Post by scottS4 » 01 Aug 2011, 20:44

panchester07 wrote:Some feedback on the "collin dril":

I think you need to work on your control big time mate.. Your an old dog in this forum and you've read many guides by jdefoe, soccer4lfie, iwannagopro, NBP, etc. They explain very well the concepts of dribbling, touch and control and you have no excuse not to have a far more advanced touch than average with the knowledge and guides on this site.

You juggle okay, and when you punt it up and control it first time your touch is quite heavy. Then when you weave in and out of the cones your touch isn't very smooth, and you do hit the cones a few times :?

Are your cleats comfortable? They look very new and fresh, and that is a thing that ALWAYS makes my touch heavier and doesn't let me contact the ball properly to make it do whatever I want.

Last but not least, you are going about 60%. For your training to make you improve you need to go 110% to your limits, sell the feints properly, and exploooode.. If you train hard you play easy, and you play how you practice, your not practicing to a high enough intensity to improve..... It has to be done quicker, and you have to be in more control of the ball. Lot of practicing to do scotty :)
apart from the touch at 1:00 in the "solo training 004" video, i think i controlled them all pretty well, considering how conscious i am that i'm on camera.

i agree about the cone drills and dribbling in general. i've always been a passer who dribbles maybe twice a game. due to this, my dribbling never improved between the ages of 12-16 and now i have alot of catching up to do. my coach has recently told me he wants me to take on fullbacks more, so i have to start practicing dribbling quite religiously. thats why i went and bought cones for the first time. :P

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 01 Aug 2011, 21:08

good luck man, if you can be a good dribbler you will be a solid all around player. All i can say is dribble everywhere and as much as possible. If i was you i would just start off with a simple slalom drill, do that thousands of times until you have mastered it completely. Then be creative and make your own patterns. I remember i would do this exactly, i would line up 6 or 7 cones in my front yards, and dribble through them 100's of times trying to impress my dad as he watched lol. Also pick a few moves and master them like nobody else has man