Do I have the ability to become a pro soccer player?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
brasil_soccer9

Do I have the ability to become a pro soccer player?

Post by brasil_soccer9 » 17 Jul 2011, 04:56

I know this post is not specifically talking about a training routine but I did not know where to post this kind of question. I guess training routine is the closest possible subsection of this forum to post something of this nature.

My question is do I have the capabilities to become a professional soccer player? I started playing soccer probably around 10-12 but never seriously or in any leagues. I am 17, right now. I still never played seriously but I developed really good ball control over the 5-7 year timespan of playing soccer. I am wondering if I join a league and start practising seriously, would I be able to become a pro? I know my question is too general and really hard to answer but some advice would be cool--like should I just quit on my dreams, right now. In short, I never played serious soccer and I am quite the amateur; but I have decent ball control. I would just like to know if this is a realistic approach or not. Thank you very much guys!

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 17 Jul 2011, 06:19

It's always possible especially if you can accept that professional doesn't mean you have to play for man utd or bayern or something like that. A boy who didn't play seriously till like 16 went on a show call football's next star and won a contract with inter milan the entire time he had only played with his church group. If you worked hard and even went to school while playing soccer you could get an education and work towards your goals. If you are planning to go to college soon work hard this summer and try to walk on the school team and go from there.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 17 Jul 2011, 12:45

It's not an unrealistic dream unless you decide it is. If you focus on it so much and really want it it is deffinately possible. There was a guy who had been playing ametuer in Australia till he was 28 and then signed a pro contract at that age, he wasn't earning millions per year but he was still classed as a pro. Theres loads of storys man, it is possible. To be a pro you just have to be as good as/better than other pro's.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 17 Jul 2011, 15:12

yeah i agree with everyone, especially what nick said. There is alot more leagues and teams where you can be considered a pro, not just the great teams. There is even The USL pro league in USA, those guys are considered pro's and its quite a competitive league. Also all the second and third divisions around the world

brasil_soccer9

Post by brasil_soccer9 » 17 Jul 2011, 15:51

Thanks guys I really appreciate the comments. Truly motivates me. But do you think it is possible, for me, to play with the big clubs, such as: ManU, Real.etc.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 17 Jul 2011, 17:09

As I said early, if you believe in youself and put in the work, then anything is possible. Ian Wright is another good example, as is Chris Smalling. If I get a pro contract, i'm not going to be content with that, I want to keep going higher and higher till I am at highest possible level. I seriously wouldn't be happy with being a sh*tty English premier league player like Tchoyi or someone.

brasil_soccer9

Post by brasil_soccer9 » 17 Jul 2011, 17:44

p793 wrote:As I said early, if you believe in youself and put in the work, then anything is possible. Ian Wright is another good example, as is Chris Smalling. If I get a pro contract, i'm not going to be content with that, I want to keep going higher and higher till I am at highest possible level. I seriously wouldn't be happy with being a sh*tty English premier league player like Tchoyi or someone.
Thanks for the response. You really motivated me!