quick question

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

quick question

Post by collin » 28 Jun 2011, 00:50

hey guys, i have been doing the drill practicing taking a touch every step at speed for like a year or so. Recently i have just ditched it, do you guy think its just as good to develop this sort of thing whenever i touch the ball. hmm how do i word this, will this sort of technique"small touches" develop itself on its own when im playing in games, shooting around or playing pick up. I have it locked in my brain as soon as i get the ball to take "small touches".

Do you guys think its better to take the structured approach of this technique example in your routine 30 yard sprints with ball blah blah" you get what i mean, or is it better to just try to incorporate it in game-play as much as possible, or even in other drills, and not worry about doing the actual drill. I haven't really done the routine drill of this sort of thing for awhile, and i dont think i have gotten any worse at it. Probably because i have it locked in my brain already. This sounds really confusing probably sorry for that

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 28 Jun 2011, 00:58

Here is the short of it: Playing in games can HELP develop it. However, the idea behind practice is to get something down to a science. It doesn't have to be perfect, but you must repeat it as much as you can so it becomes almost instinctive. That is what improves your technique. When you no longer have to think about doing something, and just do it. All the little intricacies just happen for you.

This can take thousands of repetitions and obviously, thousands of repetitions is not a popular method of training. But it is a proven one. I am all for mixing up the structure with a bunch of pick-up games, as long as it holds your interest and keeps you doing the technique. You needn't do all structure, and you shouldn't do all pick-ups either. Find your own balance, and just remember what I said about patient repetition. Work through the skill/move at your own pace, making small corrections where you think it might be necessary, and just develop something that works for you.

If you think such a thing is already sufficiently ingrained in your mind, then apply it in games, and find out. Even if it is, and works well, never hurts to keep practicing it in order to keep up the level of ability.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 28 Jun 2011, 01:34

thanks. For me it is already a habbit and a technique i have already mastered(not physically but mentally), every time i get the ball at speed i find myself trying to taking as many touches as possibles and im not even thinking about it really. Even at times when i cannot execute it very well, like on turf when the ball moves super fast, i still have the habbit of taking as many touches as possible. I think i have gotten pretty decent at it, hopefully it will naturally get better the more experience i get, but i will still try and practice it in a structered way on my own

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Post by eddy192837 » 28 Jun 2011, 01:44

Just continue doing it, just try adding in something new like dribbling through cones taking touch every step with right, then with left, with both, etc.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 28 Jun 2011, 02:29

been there done that bro right now just trying to play everyday as much as possible