Ankle Weight & Stationary Stepover

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
eddy192837
Veteran Member

Ankle Weight & Stationary Stepover

Post by eddy192837 » 21 Jun 2011, 20:44

are doing stationary stepover with 1.5 lb weights bad for you? i know that running and stuff like that put too much stress on your knees but what about if you only do STATIONARY stepovers in place like 3 sets of 15 seconds with 1.5lb ankle weights on. would that still be dangerrous for your knees/ankles?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 21 Jun 2011, 21:13

ankle weights are just bad in general. Honestly don't think about using them for anything ever.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 22 Jun 2011, 00:58

i used to do that eddy dont do it man it messed up the back of my hamstring everytime i bend my leg i get a crack now its wierd

arsenalfc08
Veteran Member

Post by arsenalfc08 » 22 Jun 2011, 21:54

Why do you want to practice stepovers while wearing ankle weights? Ankle weights put stress on your knees.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 23 Jun 2011, 06:33

arsenalfc08 wrote:Why do you want to practice stepovers while wearing ankle weights? Ankle weights put stress on your knees.
Not too mention ultimately your ankle tendons.

Don't use them mate, they're bad for your joints and tendons.

I know it's what CRonaldo did, but he got lucky and didn't get injuries from them (I'm guessing).
Everything you need, is already inside.

Wadjet
New User

Post by Wadjet » 23 Jun 2011, 16:55

Okay this is kinda funny, everywhere you look or ask, people will tell you that training with ankle weights is bad because it puts stress on the ankle and the knees, but what's funny though is that the most successful athletes do train with ankle weights. floyd maywheather jump ropes regularly with ankle weights, we all know about cristiano ronaldo and many other, yet people have the audacity to say it's bad for you?? i'm baffled, you want to play like the pros then train like the pros if anything it will make your knees and ankle stronger in the long run, just don't over do it.

doing step over with ankle weights will not mess up your knees, but you have to be careful not start too heavy until you get the motion and control down, also only do short reps like 8 or something cause the point is to train your muscle to react more quickly to the motion not to wear down until you can't walk anymore and probably injure yourself due to poor form, plyometrics anyone?. i personally would recommend that you start jump roping instead to increase your footwork speed and practice step over without weights. but you can also do both. it's up to you just don't over work yourself.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 23 Jun 2011, 21:03

^ignore this guy. Jump roping is not stepovers so that's straight dumb. Similarly ronaldo used rocks tied to his feet not ankle weights. I promise you it will do nothing at all what this guy said except cause problems.

Do go with the jump roping though it's not a bad idea however there are many other ways besides that to increase speed.

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Post by eddy192837 » 23 Jun 2011, 21:10

Im pretty sure he used ankle weights. It said in many interviews that he was caught in the gym dribbling with weights on his foot. But yeah i am scared of it damaging my knee or ankle. Plus, i can get that fast SUPPOSEDLY doing plyometrics which I am doing at the moment once a week.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 23 Jun 2011, 22:22

didn't ronaldo have some kind of surgery at man u cause of the long term problems of that

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 23 Jun 2011, 22:30

yeah he had ankle surgery. But as a boy he said he tied rocks to his feet they were his "weights"

Wadjet
New User

Post by Wadjet » 24 Jun 2011, 03:26

ok i guess ignorance is bliss but here the thing. jump roping increases your cardio, foot work, speed, and agility, it is one of the most efficient ways of increasing your foot speed and make you light on your feet which will translate to faster step over. i know you guys wont believe something unless you hear that the pros do it so here it is cristiano ronaldo jump ropes, floyd mayweather jump ropes, rafael nadal jump ropes, manny pacquiao jump ropes those are the some of the quickest guys in the world, again you can say w/e you want but there is decades of proof backing the effect of jump roping on speed and agility, there are countless numbers of pro world class coaches who vouch for the effect of jump roping.

now using your logic nick i guess we shouldn't work on our core either because core workouts is not running, kicking, dribbling, and pushing so that's straight dumb uh? never mind the fact that doing core workouts will increase your kicking power, running speed, and ability to shield off opponents way more efficiently than any drill you can come up with. but it's still straight dumb uh?

about ronaldos ankle problem the ankle weights had nothing to do with it. there are many factor that come into play when it comes to his injury. he wears shoes that are 2 sizes smaller than his regular foot size which is very very dangerous, and second the man was getting hit left and right in the EPL, ankle injury was bound to happen. messi also had some ankle problems, just like ronaldo they both get tackled to the ground everytime they dribble the ball (ronaldo being hit the hardest cause EPL players are actually rugby players) of course that's back when he was at Man U though

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 24 Jun 2011, 04:26

you can't read to save your life wadjet. I said nothing about jump roping you fool. I mentioned specifically that it was a good idea so head back to third grade and develop a sense of reading comprehension. I was however pointing out that you have no idea what your talking about when it comes to weights so you should probably stop talking all together.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/10230 ... e-weights/
"Muscle and Ligament Strain
While using ankle weights for exercises, the muscles in the body have to work harder to make the same motions they would make if there were no ankle weights. The muscles are not strengthened equally, and the strain placed on the body can lead to torn ligaments in thighs, ankles and calves. Women and elderly people are most at risk for torn ligaments due to delicate tissue.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/10230 ... z1QAFyKztw"

those articles just show what we all know ankle weights are bad.

And a final note i never mentioned that would have lead any half intelligent member of society to believe running / kicking/ dribbling were the only important parts to a workout. your move captain.