Tracking back

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
desire10
Veteran Member

Tracking back

Post by desire10 » 12 Jun 2011, 02:27

I play center-mid. When I track back, what's the best thing I can do to help my team defensively? Is it better to stay goal side of a player and mark him back? Or too chase the ball down?
Everything you need, is already inside.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 12 Jun 2011, 04:51

It obviously depends greatly on your play style, fitness, and team tactics. Are you the type of center mid that just sits in the middle and sprays passes from the middle? Or are you an attacking midfielder that brings the attack forward? There are so many variables, it's not even funny. What if your attacking and your team loses the ball, thus unleashing a counter on your team. You were just up top pressing the attack, so now you either have the option of not tracking back, or trying to chase down the attacker. If your the type that just sits in the center as passing vessel, if the attack has been initiated by the other team, your obviously going to be central and goal side.

Personally I like midfielders who close down other attackers and force their hands, and if they get beat, at least make an effort in retrieving the ball back. If your just going to try and home in on players and make a tackle, like Mascherano, you better be really wise about how and when you do that, or your going to find yourself gassed really quick, unless you have some freak stamina. It's easy to tell yourself or anyone here on EF you can do that for 60+ mins during a full-fledged fast paced match, but believe me, its quite difficult, you'll find yourself exhausting your energy trying to catch up to other attackers to make a tackle, and when and if you retrieve it, you've already expended a copious amount of energy. Also, take into consideration if you do all the chasing to attempt to retrieve the ball, and they just pass it off before you get a chance to make an attempt at them, you just theoretically wasted some energy.

So I'd say staying goalside of your opponent and attempting to read their game, and force them to make a mistake would be the wiser thing as a midfielder. But then again, you could also be a defending mid, so I don't know, you midfielders are "supposed" to be wise- you can figure it out 8) . For the sakes of redundancy, I'll leave it at that.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 12 Jun 2011, 04:56

Haha great post man thanks for that.

Met

Post by Met » 12 Jun 2011, 15:51

Just to add something to Zlatan's post, you need to communicate with your other midfielders. As a centermid you should dictate how the team plays. By plays, it includes attacking and defending.

Personally, I'd tell the wide midfielders to press, together with the forwards. Tell the forwards to follow the ball in the attacking third of the pitch more, e.g. press the keeper/ defenders. The widemidfielders apply light pressure, no tackles just someone nicking at the oppositions heels and jog back into the centermidfield position first ( this to flood the most important part of the field) and as centermids, first priority should to form a line of defense infront of the centrebacks, some recovery as its almost certain the ball will go near there. If it goes wide, let the fullbacks deal with it and one of the CM/ WM can cover if they get beaten, if they switch, the other CM goes to cover. If they attack down the middle, one CM confronts while the other picks up the pieces, e.g. loose ball, apparent runners.

I believe you win more possession or break down attacks by mistakes from the opposition. Force the mistakes, by pressure. Not ferocious pressure like Barca, but knowing there's someone behind you from the other team makes it more likely you'll make a mistake.

I'm assuming you are playing a 4-4-2 formation?

It's a team game. What you do individually, is not nearly as important as what the whole team does.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 12 Jun 2011, 20:19

Thanks Met, and yep, 4-4-2.

Zlatan5
Veteran Member

Post by Zlatan5 » 12 Jun 2011, 20:50

Ironic, I played center mid today instead of striker. And we play a 4-4-2 as well. Except I did more chasing and tackling, like Mascherano. But I was able to read the game and I understand my bodies physical limitations, the combination of both those factors led to a successful 45 minutes of pain for the opposing players.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 13 Jun 2011, 04:25

Nice!

I guess I just have to find my style!