Should I Play Pick-Up Games?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
desire10
Veteran Member

Should I Play Pick-Up Games?

Post by desire10 » 10 May 2011, 05:45

Hey, I know I had a thread quite similar to this, but this ones a little different. We have a nice little futsal court to play on at breaks (we get to use it half the time at least). Do you feel that pick-up games are essential/very beneficial? I train individually every day, but the only games I get are the ones at the end of team training, and on match day. I feel I was in better form when I played pick-up games regularly, but it can be a little much on my body, interrupts with my eating plan (I need time at school to eat my bulking meals, pre-training meal), and I find it can tire me for training in the afternoon. Can I get by without them?
Everything you need, is already inside.

ajc
The Philly Flyer

Post by ajc » 10 May 2011, 06:13

I think you should play pick up games very often! I sense a common theme growing on EF recently, which is:

-placing too much emphasis on lifting programs, individual drills, diet, and the like
-and underestimating the value of actually playing the game with real defenders in front of you

It is important to make sure your body is in peak physical condition if you want to achieve your full potential as a player. But it is also incredibly important to use the skills you practice alone in your back yard in situations where there is actually a defender pressuring you.

When you are doing shooting/passing/dribbling drills individually you are training your body to always use proper technique. This is good. But when you play a pick up game you add another dimension to focus on: recognizing the situation to use the techniques you've practiced, and making the right decision. You don't become a terrific reader of the game by kicking a ball against a wall, dribbling through cones, running sprints, or lifting weights- you gain real knowledge of the game through actually playing it.

So basically what I'm saying is if you want to boil it down to crude terms, there are two aspects of becoming a good player:
1) Achieving peak strength, fitness, technique in controlling/playing the ball (muscle memory)
2) Decision making (recognition of which pass to play, when to make a run, when and where to dribble and when to play a first time pass, etc)

Becoming proficient at the aspects I described in 1) requires individual training and fitness training. The qualities of 2) can only be learned from experience in game situations (whether it's small sided, pick up or proper matches). In the end it is up to you if you believe you are getting enough actual playing experience without playing pick up games, but I certainly think they can be very beneficial.
Click it

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 10 May 2011, 15:50

Play them. They are fun.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 10 May 2011, 16:43

obviously play pickup matches don't take it so seriously its a damn game we all love, but meal plans and carbohydrates and protein over a football match with your buddies?

priorities man, priorities.

if you love football the answer is obviously play the frigging pickup match

sometimes football pickups are even more fun than actual games, when your having a blast on that field you'll feel like a kid in there, sometimes inm the game's we worry too much about playing perfectly and ddon't enjoy them..

and if you really have to ask yourself this question, then seriously you should question yourself if your playing this game and trying to go pro for the right reasons.

what would messi do? what would maradona do? what would pele do?

they would have laughed at the simple idea of a suggestion of following a meal plan over playing a pickup...
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 10 May 2011, 17:25

Seriously man, when all my friends used to play football at school I would be eating my sandwiches while I was playing...You don't need to get bogged down with your meal plans. It is good that you are that serious about bulking and building yourself up, but having your meal slightly earlier or slightly later really isn't going do make any difference, where as playing pick-up games for an hour a day is going to make a huge difference in your football.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 10 May 2011, 20:57

Thanks guys. I tried playing today and it was good, but I found it tough on my knees (mine are very fragile, I've had problems in the past). Also, I had my meals as usual, and it gave me digestive problems which spoiled my team training that night. I might just leave the pick-up games out until I stop bulking, or maybe just once a week right now.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 10 May 2011, 22:25

a pickup game gave you digestive problems... that's one soft stomach.

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 11 May 2011, 08:29

I was going pretty hard out tbh. I was eating baked beans and peanut butter between two English muffins (random, there was no bread left), so it was a moderately heavy meal, but I'm also surprised that it gave me digestive problems. It's the only meal I can think of that I ate under different conditions that day.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 11 May 2011, 12:54

I hear what you're saying - when i eat before i play it always gives me nauseas and the shits - is there a possibility you play and then eat afterwards?

sucks that because you have to follow nutrition plans you cant play a simple fun kickabout :?
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 11 May 2011, 16:35

I play footy and merge my eating plan around that. After all, whats more important to you? Eating and becoming big so you can be stronger on ball, or play the beautiful game..have fun, get a brilliant touch, make your compusre better, try things that you wouldnt try in 11 vs 11 game. its up to you. When I was in lower school I used to eat my lunch in registration and play football all lunch. Now I have loads of frees i'm at sixth form so I play footy in every free with mates, and then on the way back up to school get something from town and eat on my way back to school...

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 15 May 2011, 15:13

Also, look at Josh Mccekeren playing for Chelsea today. Did you see how skinny he was yet he's playing in the first team of one of the best teams in the WORLD.
Footballing abillity is more important than size, or weight, every day of the week.