Why aren't they coming natural to me?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

Why aren't they coming natural to me?

Post by collin » 14 Apr 2011, 22:32

when i practice my drills dribbling around cones and stuff, i always use little rolls, pull backs and pushes/drags around the cones, you have probably seen me do them in my videos. But in games and practices i can never do them around a person, why is this? they are pretty much second nature to me when dribbling around a cone but i dont think about it during games and practices. Like i always use the puskas around the cones, and i always use the pull back and push with the outside and inside, what is the problem here?

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 14 Apr 2011, 22:34

you're either afraid to try it or don't work on it enough in practice against normal people.
Progression should probably be
1 cones
2 practice
3 games.

TheBrilliance

Post by TheBrilliance » 14 Apr 2011, 22:44

Pal, pull backs are not insane fundamentals to dribbling. They are for control etc, but in terms of beating an opponent, other techniques and pieces of skill are noted as priority when it comes to succesfully beating a player.

I suggest flick the cones. Ive hardly ever done cones. Ever. Dribbling is one of my strengths. You need to just dribble around mate. THE WORLD IS YOUR CONAGE!

Go onto roads and parks and practice beating leaves, its what I do. It applies more of an 'in game situation' environment.

You can use pull backs and co if they come natural to you, but truly attack the obstacles.

Ive seen video footage of you Collin and you are great between those cones. I understand your situation of the basement. But the cones help with dribbling to an extent. I find they help a little more on ball control and superb proprioception, which many people die for. I think youve nailed that man.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 14 Apr 2011, 23:11

Thanks TheBrilliance, that was a god post it gave me some good advice. Although i am not the sort of player to "attack the cone" i will take it into consideration. I am not very good at 1v1 at speed, i can dribble very good at speed but i cannot do a move at speed which usually finds myself dribbling into someone literally.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 14 Apr 2011, 23:29

Good defenders won't be beaten easily unless you attack them they have no reason to stab in if your not running at them.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 15 Apr 2011, 01:18

Indeed. You're not going to beat good defenders unless you make the move first to wrong-foot them. They won't do it themselves. They will patiently let you roll it wherever you want, keeping you checked to a managable area and waiting until you make a mistake. What you need to do to get past them, is to really pull a good feint using all of your body (shoulders, hips, head, eyes... Not just feet) and once the hesitation is there (it will take plenty of repetition before you might see the slightest, almost disconcernable movement), then you can take them to the opposite corner and get by.

Of course, great acceleration is a bonus here, once you make a slit of an opening for yourself.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 15 Apr 2011, 02:33

i know i need to work on throwing a feint in while im dribbling, but sometimes i feel like im dribbling so fast that when i will try to do a stepover my feet are going to trip over eachother and i lose balance

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 15 Apr 2011, 03:35

collin wrote:i know i need to work on throwing a feint in while im dribbling, but sometimes i feel like im dribbling so fast that when i will try to do a stepover my feet are going to trip over eachother and i lose balance
The balance will come with practice mate.
Everything you need, is already inside.

nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 15 Apr 2011, 03:36

That or you literally could train for balance. Somehow i don't understand how one stepover would throw someone off balance.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 15 Apr 2011, 18:13

Indeed. Combos are always better then one move. You should always know where you're going before you do it. That's your god-given advantage as attacker.

I think specifically training balance is a good idea, especially if it's the area you struggle with most. But don't just try exercises designed to test balance. Really think about it in your off time, and consider the mechanics of balance. Why do you fall over easy when you try one thing, but not another?

I'll use an example from Judo. As a martial art, it's all about balance. And as a good judoka, I know what clues to watch for in the balance of my opponents to throw them. :p One thing I see a lot of is something almost nobody thinks of, and it is done a lot, at all levels. By waiting for this motion, and inticing it, I throw a lot of people.

If you want to take a grip, you need to use your hands, obviously. But a person will not just let you grip them. They move around. So most often, when people want to grip you, they can't do it standing still. They need to move to you. The terrible mistake a lot of people make, is that They reach forward and step forward at the same time.

Try it. If you go to shoot out your right hand to grab, let's say, and take a step with your leading right foot, you're not only off balance, you open a huge hole between your arm and yourself that I can use to throw. A better idea would be to first move in with your legs, THEN grip. The time delay may only be a split second, but it saves you from opening yourself up, and unbalancing yourself for you!

Think about stuff like that. If a defender is rushing towards you, why waste your time rushing at him, or even continuing your run. If you make a subtle, lateral movement, he will go right by you, or at least be put off in having to slow down, in which case you can explode. If a defender is backing up ever so slightly, to start a burst of speed at him would cause him to either stumble in trying to accelerate backwards, or need to turn around. Use that to your advantage however you may.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

D10

Post by D10 » 16 Apr 2011, 09:39

nick117 wrote:you're either afraid to try it or don't work on it enough in practice against normal people.
Progression should probably be
1 cones
2 practice
3 games.
Exactly, this.

You need to learn the technique first, however the application of the moves in games will not come until you first are practicing it passively with an on-coming defender and then finally with a defender trying to tackle you.

Why you might ask? In a game, it's all about timing. Without the timing, there is no time for the move.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 20 Apr 2011, 10:41

hmm good posts. I think i might just not do as much close control dribbling since i feel like i have mastered that already. I think i will spread the cones out over a field and just got at them with pace and cut between them and try my best to add in some fakes. Hopefully this will help me be better at cutting and moving at high speeds with the ball instead of just being good at dribbling in a straight line

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 20 Apr 2011, 21:00

Arghh...don't know what you call them...But i find using those posts that stick out the ground to prevent cars parking on pavements and sh*t...i use them instead of cones.. for me it's more realistic as you can't cut over the cone or youll smash yourelf of the post... so you have to have closer control etc..i just find it works better.

What's your youtube account?

desire10
Veteran Member

Post by desire10 » 20 Apr 2011, 23:27

p793 wrote:Arghh...don't know what you call them...But i find using those posts that stick out the ground to prevent cars parking on pavements and sh*t...i use them instead of cones.. for me it's more realistic as you can't cut over the cone or youll smash yourelf of the post... so you have to have closer control etc..i just find it works better.

What's your youtube account?
I'm not sure what they are called, but it's probably easier to buy agility poles?
Everything you need, is already inside.

p793
Veteran Member

Post by p793 » 20 Apr 2011, 23:40

Yeah, they would work perfectly too, the posts things suit me as there is about 30 in a car park that is nearly always empty near my house.