Is this better for training routine individually?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
eddy192837
Veteran Member

Do you think it would be better to do something like this viewtopic.php?t=17943 where you work on something different like every day or something like this where you do the same thing every day to keep skills constantly fresh:

85 minutes individual routine 3x a week
1. 25 minutes juggling. (1000 both feet, 20x5 things, 10x5 inside of foot, 10x5 outside of foot, and 10x5 head, then 300 juggles with both feet and every 20 juggles hit over head)
2. 20 minutes of dribbling through cones (salom and zig zag 10 minutes each)
3. 5 minutes (5x30 seconds on and off) going through scattered cones doing whatever moves pop up in my head
4. 10 minutes of constant stopovers and hip feints around cone
5. 15 minutes juke a cone with my favorite moves and shoot
6. 10 minutes Pass ball against wall with each foot
Last edited by eddy192837 on 05 Apr 2011, 03:04, edited 4 times in total.

desire10
Veteran Member

The latter.

I learned from TommyGun about concentrated training, which I've incorporated into my schedule, works great. All it is, is have as many sessions as possible (still leave time for fitness on another day/two), working on a particular skill (preferably targeting a weakness). Have one of two sessions aside for 'maintenance;, which is where you work on your strengths to keep them fresh.
Everything you need, is already inside.

eddy192837
Veteran Member

But these kinda are my weaknesses.. My weaknesses are control which I juggle at the beginning for, the shooting which I do a move and shoot to be more game realistics, the passing cuz I'm not so sharp in passing.. And for the maintenance it's the dribbling.. Soo this could be the routine you were telling me but all in one for me, you get me?

desire10
Veteran Member

I get you yea, but I think you could speed up the process by targeting your biggest weakness, and training on that for a good few weeks, before moving on to the next weakness. It's really up to you though, but that's my recommendation.

nick117
Veteran Member

^ pretty sure that's the opposite of what's recommended. if you were to pick 4 weaknesses theres no problem with training 3-4 things at once. The only thing i always find weird with your training is you like to do a very few drills many many times.
i.e.
random drill 1 30x
random drill 2 25x
random drill 4 25x

I'm not sure any drill should be gone through more than a few times the same way.

desire10
Veteran Member

nick117 wrote:^ pretty sure that's the opposite of what's recommended. if you were to pick 4 weaknesses theres no problem with training 3-4 things at once. The only thing i always find weird with your training is you like to do a very few drills many many times.
i.e.
random drill 1 30x
random drill 2 25x
random drill 4 25x

I'm not sure any drill should be gone through more than a few times the same way.
Hm? Me or Eddy?

nick117
Veteran Member

you. theres nothing at all wrong with training multiple things at once i definitely wouldn't focus on just one thing at a time.

unless you mean the over rep part that's at eddy.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Sorry, I'm actually driving back to North Carolina from Canada so I'll only have Wifi at hotels when I stop. 3,200 miles...so yeah.

anyway, I'd try to link up the drills that are similar or could play off related skills. You could always try doing shorter time + more drills or longer time + fewer drills to see what works better for you personally. I find that having a routine creates a certain amount of structure but you also want to avoid getting complacent because that could be less motivating and detrimental to your overall progress. It could be as easy as changing a drill slightly or finding a fault in a recent game to focus on improving it for the next outing.

eddy192837
Veteran Member

@nick soo how many times should i do in an exercise (ex. inside of foot through cones how many times?) or do you think it should be done by time?

nick117
Veteran Member

Most of my coaches varied thing up a lot we never repeated things more than 3x a practice.

so going through cones would be left foot 3x right 3x inside 3x outside 3x. you get the idea. When working on dribbling for moves we often just went 30 and back with each move and if we weren't confident with it would repeat it again. That's not saying you can't work on the same thing more than 3times just change up the drill used to do it.