Left foot trouble

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
FootballPlayer94
Sophomore Member

I can do the simplest things with my left foot like pass and touch it down but i can't seem to do Lofted Passes or Shots even after practising for some reason

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Just practising isn't enough. You also have to practice. :P

What I mean is, a little, or even a moderate amount of practice may not show any results. But through repetition, adjustment and genuine effort, you'll eventually get there. I have to tell that the technique for both feet is identical, if you hadn't realized. It's just a matter of muscular strength, balance and of course, mental preparedness and confidence.

Let me relate to you my personal story of achievement. When I was about 12 or 13, I got deep-cleated by a horrific challenge in May and it screwed up my right leg pretty bad. I was a terrible left foot shot, and didn't know what to do. I wasn't able to hit shots with my right for sure, even though I could run on it and stuff. Summer was coming up, and I wanted to get in a lot of practice because I had plenty of time to devote to it.

So what I did was, living as close to a field as I do, I would go over like, three times a day for an hour, and only hit left footed deadballs. From all sorts of different areas. It was terrible at first, but, as I only used the left foot exclusively, after weeks, I noticed a great improvement. When I was finally able to use my right again, I found I prefered the left! The right was still decent, and after practicing with it again for a little, it was pretty much back to where it was before the injury. But because of my effort, I was now endowed with the footballer's greatest weapon: two functional feet! I can use the right to make space for my left, and vice versa, depending on the situation. It feels great to have that option.

That being said, if I was in a pinch, or had to pick a foot... I still choose the left. ;)

The point of my anecdote is that you too can achieve what I did, even as a natural righty. I still struggled with for sometime after, and do a little today, to pull off finer things like difficult tricks with the left, that come more easily to the right. But my left and right shots are both great, and the left is likely to be even a little better. Because I saw the results myself, I had no qualms in taking shots with the left, and I have total confidence in it. Keep practicing and when you improve, the confidence in your left will allow you to hit great shots with it!

klc123
Veteran Member

^ Sorry to hear about the injury but that was great use of time in a bad situation.

When you practice, you will very unlikely see any improvement during the practice. Your first shot might be horrific, the next couple of shots would get slightly better, but then you will seem to hit a wall once you are warmed up and hitting them as well as you can and your focused. When you reach this point, keep practising. Over the practice you will slowly deteriorate and get worse and worse. This is due to muscle fatigue and overall mental and physical tiredness.

You may ask what is the point of this? Well the point is that when you are practising and not getting any better, your body is constantly trying to do something it is not yet coordinated and programmed to do. Now when you go back from training, and sleep that night, magical things will begin to take place around your body. As well as repairing any damage done from the practice, it will begin to overcompensate by increasing muscular size to prevent the damage from taking place again. Most importantly however, is that while your sleep, your neuronal system sparks to life.

Firstly, your actual nerve system will begin mapping new pathways, and refine your nervous control and co-ordination. This is what will benefit you greatly, as you will now have a better control over your technique, and be more precise with your actions. This is like how at first a toddler will be very clumsy when trying to use motor skills like walking or holding something, but over time their nerves grow and mature allowing them to do complex actions when they are older such as run, talk or play piano.

Secondly, your brain will actually process everything you have done. When you are asleep, your brain digests the day, and everything about it. It will also process everything you have done, and create a sort of nervous memory, so that you can over time perform actions with less thought input, and things will flow more naturally. This is how mental imagery training works, your brain is tricked into thinking you have performed all these actions, and will process them accordingly, giving the same benefit as as if you had actually done the activity.

So long story short, train hard, sleep harder.