Focussed/Maintenance Training

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
desire10
Veteran Member

I got the idea from TommyGun. So basically, I'm doing focussed training on my left foot (my weaker foot) which is only a bit above average.

I cbf to put up my whole schedule and explain the drills to be completely honest, but what I do is like this; My schedule runs on a fortnightly cycle, so rather then having 7 days of training, and then restarting at the new week, I have 14 days, and then start it again. inside the two weeks there is:

4 weaker foot routines
2 maintenance routines
4 strength work-outs
2 fitness routines
2 team training sessions

.. So that's all in 14 days, and there is also a rest day on both Fridays.

The weaker foot routines focus on a routine of shooting, and another of passing, and everything is on a weaker foot ratio of 3:1 (so for every kick with my right, I follow with 3 left foot kicks).

The "maintenance" routine, I do once a week (so two times in the 14 days, although both a different), and involves mostly my strengths, so there are some dribbling drills, juggling etc.. Just trying to keep my consistency.

A question I do have though, is this: Once I've finished my weaker foot training, I won't have any (that I can think of, or worth isolating) weaknesses. So is it beneficial to then have training focusing on one of my strengths, then after a month or so of that, move on to another strength, or just have my whole routine based on maintenance?

Thanks in return.
Everything you need, is already inside.

ah7

You should work on your weaknesses more so they can become stronger whilst maintaning your strengths. I like the sound of this training routine and I am also looking at a way to improve my left foot as im now playing on the left wing. Can you please go more in depth or post the routing pleaseee :D

desire10
Veteran Member

Sure, but keep in mind that I only have about an hour or so to train after school, so it's not the best or deepest routine. But anyway, here are the two weaker foot routines, and they are very simple.

Weaker foot (passing) routine:
Warm-up, dynamic stretching
Short pass's against wall (3:1 left foot ratio)
Long pass's against wall (3:1 left foot ratio)
Cool-down, static stretching

------

Weaker foot (shooting)
Warm-up, dynamic stretching
Volley's (3:1 left foot ratio)
Shots (3:1 left foot ratio)
Cool-down, static stretching

As you can see, it's very simple, yet I think it's going to help my left foot a alot.

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Sorry, just saw you comment posts so I'm just getting around to this.

In regards to your concerns on weaknesses, I'd wait until you've mastered your left foot before worrying about that. It will def take some time to get your left on par or even with the confidence to say it's even with your right foot. I was fairly lucky to have a coach at a young age that really focused on all us being at least averagely two-footed.

I'm not totally sure what position you play but I'd also work in left footed crosses(both corners and on the run). I'm more of a inside-out winger(right footed on left wing) but I often need to send crosses in with my left and need to be able to take it line when the inside isn't a possibility. Mix up the shots so you hit some stationary and some slowly rolling. It'll be hard to gauge your balance perfectly at first so get all the practice you can. Also, work on your overall touch(1st touch traps with your left), especially if you are passing against a wall. I guess it depends how weak you consider your left.

Are you like Di Maria(basically won't use is non-dominant for ANYTHING) or do you have a decent amount of confidence with it?

desire10
Veteran Member

TommyGun wrote:Sorry, just saw you comment posts so I'm just getting around to this.

In regards to your concerns on weaknesses, I'd wait until you've mastered your left foot before worrying about that. It will def take some time to get your left on par or even with the confidence to say it's even with your right foot. I was fairly lucky to have a coach at a young age that really focused on all us being at least averagely two-footed.

I'm not totally sure what position you play but I'd also work in left footed crosses(both corners and on the run). I'm more of a inside-out winger(right footed on left wing) but I often need to send crosses in with my left and need to be able to take it line when the inside isn't a possibility. Mix up the shots so you hit some stationary and some slowly rolling. It'll be hard to gauge your balance perfectly at first so get all the practice you can. Also, work on your overall touch(1st touch traps with your left), especially if you are passing against a wall. I guess it depends how weak you consider your left.

Are you like Di Maria(basically won't use is non-dominant for ANYTHING) or do you have a decent amount of confidence with it?
Thanks mate.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm a Di Maria. I'd say my left foot is maybe 50%-60% as good as my right. Although I'm having a bit of positional worry at the moment, I consider myself a forward right now, or at least a very attacking midfielder.

So far, I'm just finishing my first week, and there are some pretty decent improvements already. I'm getting my shots on target a lot, with more elevation, but still have a back-spinning effect on this, but I'll fix this with time. My long passes with my left feel quite fluent already, and my passes/trapping are a lot snappier! Pretty good progress so far!

TommyGun
Veteran Member

Being a striker, you'll really need to be able to finish with either foot. I think it's a great time to focus on that, especially from reading your speed thread. You won't have to be the fastest if you're a consistent finisher with both feet, but speed does help.

The only issue you're probably having with the back-spin your body position during the striker. You're most likely leaning too far away from the ball(because you don't trust your balance completely yet)+striking the ball too low because the technique/motion isn't as fluid but that'll improve over time as you get more comfortable. I know it took me a while to lock my left foot strong enough to get a consistent strike to have any confidence with it.

desire10
Veteran Member

TommyGun wrote:Being a striker, you'll really need to be able to finish with either foot. I think it's a great time to focus on that, especially from reading your speed thread. You won't have to be the fastest if you're a consistent finisher with both feet, but speed does help.

The only issue you're probably having with the back-spin your body position during the striker. You're most likely leaning too far away from the ball(because you don't trust your balance completely yet)+striking the ball too low because the technique/motion isn't as fluid but that'll improve over time as you get more comfortable. I know it took me a while to lock my left foot strong enough to get a consistent strike to have any confidence with it.
Yea mate I'm sure I'll have them with no spin in no time! cheers.