Question for klc123

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
nick117
Veteran Member

Post by nick117 » 16 Feb 2011, 21:53

I swear everyone who posts about juggling not helping makes me die a little inside. We never say to only use juggling only that it's beneficial to dribbling. The first touch after the trap is a huge part of dribbling and highly influenced by your touch which you can gain from juggling. Not only that but you should be juggling anyway because of how often it's used in games, messi used it 5 or 6 times vs arsenal alone and he was all but invisible today save for a few runs/assist.

Also when i say he was juggling i don't mean he played keepy up or whatever you want to call it but many of his flicks and taps were influenced by juggling.

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Post by eddy192837 » 28 Feb 2011, 19:54

this is kinda old but w.e.... klcc can u give me an ideaa of your individual routine i wanna knnow what it looks like, maybe to add some stuff to mine.. cuz i wanna get a more george best/messi orientated routine

klc123
Veteran Member

Post by klc123 » 28 Feb 2011, 21:46

Hey, sorry for the long wait for a reply. Warning is here, this is going to be a very lengthy in depth post.

FITNESS

I undergo a pretty intensive work out routine, and I then fit football around that routine as well as I can. Here's my strength work out.
Basically each work out is a day, and I do two work outs, and then have a rest day. I keep this going so every third day is a rest. Remember recovery is the most important part of any exercise or training.

Workout 1
BB bench press - 4 x 5
DB one arm rows - 3 x 8
DB incline bench press - 3 x 10
a) Body weight or assisted pull ups - 3 x 12
b) DB standing alternating shoulder press - 3 x 15
a) DB standing alternating bicep curl - 3 x 12, 8, 5
b) DB standing two hand OH tricep press - 3 x 8

Workout 2
BB back squats - 4 x 5
a) BB alternating lunges - 3 x 8
b) Seated calf raises - 3 x 10
Box jumps - 2 x 50 for time
a) BB good mornings - 3 x 12
b) Standing calf raises - 3 x 15
Tabata Body Weight Squats - 5 sets - amap in 20 secs, rest 10 secs, repeat. Record # of reps below.
Set 1: Set 2: Set 3:
Abdominal giant set
a) Reverse crunch - 3 x amap
b) Fold ups - 3 x amap
c) Russian twist w/ medicine ball - 3 x 15

Workout 3
BB bent over rows - 4 x 5
DB bench press - 3 x 8
Weighted or assisted chin ups - 3 x 10
a) Standing military press - 3 x 8
b) BB standing bicep curl - 3 x 12
a) Dips - 3 x 8
b) DB side raise - 3 x 12

Workout 4
BB deadlift - 4 x 5
a) BB jump squats w/ 33% of 1 rep max - 3 x 10
b) BB shrugs 3 x 12
Glute-ham raises - 3 x amap
a) Step ups holding DBs - 3 x 12
b) Seated calf raise - 3 x 5
Abdominal giant set
a) Windshield wipers - 3 x amap
b) Ab wheel roll outs - 3 x amap
c) Situps w/ medicine ball on chest - 3 x 8

Workout 5
BB incline bench press - 4 x 5
Neutral grip t-bar or cable rows - 3 x 8
Standing military press - 3 x 10
a) Weighted or assisted pull ups - 3 x 12
b) DB bench press - 3 x 15
a) DB one arm concentration curls - 3 x 12, 8, 5
b) Skull crushers - 3 x 12, 8, 5

Workout 6
BB back squats - 4 x 5
a) Single leg stiff leg deadlift holding DBs - 3 x 8
b) Seated calf raises - 3 x 12
DB walking lunges - 3 x 10
a) BB Romanian deadlifts - 3 x 15
b) Standing calf raises - 3 x 5
Abdominal giant set
a) Vertical leg raise or captain’s chair - 3 x amap
b) Bicycle maneuver - 3 x amap
c) Ab wheel roll outs - 3 x amap

Workout 7
BB bent over rows - 4 x 5
DB incline bench press - 3 x 8
BB shrugs - 3 x 10
a) Body weight or assisted chin ups - 3 x amap
b) DB reverse flyes - 3 x 12, 8, 5
a) Dips - 3 x 5
b) DB standing alternating bicep curl - 3 x 12, 8, 5

Workout 8
BB deadlift - 4 x 5
a) BB front squat - 3 x 8
b) Toe push on sled - 3 x 12
BB side lunges - 3 x 10
a) Pistol squats - 2 x 12
b) One leg curl - 2 x 12
Abdominal giant set
a) Medicine ball sit up toss - 3 x 20
b) DB side bends - 3 x 12
c) Flutter kicks - 3 x amap

Workout 9
BB bench press - 3 x 5 (120% of 5 rep max)
Weighted or assisted chin ups - 3 x 5 (120% of 5 rep max)
DB one arm clean and press - 3 x 8
a) DB one arm row - 3 x 12
b) Explosive push ups w/ clap if possible - 3 x amap
a) Tricep cable push downs - 3 x 12, 8, 5
b) Hammer curls - 3 x 12, 8, 5

Workout 10
BB deadlift - 5 x 5,2,1,1,1
a) Donkey calf raises - 3 x 8
b) BB Shrugs - 3 x 7
BB squats - 5 x 5,2,1,1,1
Glute-ham raises - 3 x amap
Abdominal giant set
a) Ab wheel roll outs - 3 x amap
b) Reverse crunches - 3 x amap
c) Fold ups - 3 x amap

Workout 11
BB bent over rows - 3 x 8
DB bench press - 3 x 8
Body weight or assisted chin ups - 3 x amap
Standing military press - 3 x 10
a) Dips - 3 x 8
b) BB standing bicep curl - 3 x 8

Workout 12
BB deadlift - 3 x 8
a) BB front squats - 3 x 8
b) Standing calf raise - 3 x 10
One leg curl - 3 x 10
Abdominal giant set
a) Windshield wipers - 3 x amap
b) Sit ups w/ medicine ball or plate - 3 x 8
c) Bicycle maneuver - 3 x amap

Sorry for the length of that. A lot of that will appear exactly the same, but the thing you have to take note of is how the number of reps and sets changes. Basically, its been discovered the best way to build muscle and strength, is to work all types of muscle and all your muscle groups. When you do a large number of sets of low reps and high weight with good rest between sets, you are specifically targeting the faster twitch fibres in your muscle, which is sort of like the power section. When you do a few sets of many reps and lower weight, you are targeting your endurance fibres, and this is the key to not only building your muscle fast, but giving you an overall fitness. Some people don't go by this sort of routine because they prefer 100% power building, but realistically football is not a 100% power sport, and endurance plays a massive role, so this routine that is actually designed to benefit body builders, is actually great for any footballer.

In terms of cardio, all my training and matches with my various teams is more than enough cardio for me. For you, you might decide you want to do more to build up a great level of endurance, it is entirely up to you. If you were to do that, I would recommend long distance cycling or swimming.

TECHNICALITY

I don't know if you are familiar with the nike football drills available on iPhone and on the nikefootball website, but if they are not already part of your schedule, make them. Seriously, they are very well organised programs which introduce increasingly difficult skills which you can then incorporate into your game. I never bothered with the speed one as it wasn't very good, but the accuracy and control schools are exceptional and I still continue to use them. They are also very easy to keep going with, as the workouts don't take a large amount of time, and many of them are fun to do.

In terms of building upon the foundations those programs will give you, you need to start to live with the football. Go for a run, and practice making a touch with every step of your dominant foot. If i'm entirely honest I don't practice very much if at all with my weaker foot in dribbling, because basic control will give you the level you need to deal with situations in which you must use your left foot. Therefore to really excel beyond foundation level, you will improve far faster in you concentrate on your dominant foot. This is something that will probably conflict with many peoples idea of proper training, as training the weaker foot is always stressed to younger players, but players like Messi and Maradona used/use almost exclusively their weaker foots for the more complex dribbling manoeuvres, and both of them aren't bad at going past players :lol:

If i'm totally honest that's all I do, I don't do any sort of slaloms through cones to improve my dribbling, I just run with the ball in the park, practising changing direction and cutting the balls in different ways.

In terms of amount, I don't actually do nearly enough football training at the moment due to college keeping my tied down, but if I was training as much as I should be, I would probably do all the routines from nike football every other day and then spend 30 minutes to an hour dribbling like I explained above.

DIET

I eat in excess of 4,500 calories a day. That isn't particularly normal for a footballer, but I am only eating that amount because I'm bulking up piling on muscle. In any situation though, more is definitely better than less. If you don't get all the nutrients you need to repair and build your muscles and grow, then you are limiting yourself. No matter how good you train you are preventing yourself from improving by not filling the tank up properly. If you eat in excess, you can always do extra cardio once you've reached your target weight goal to trim down on any fat you might have picked up, but you won't have limited your improvement in anyway, and will be in much better shape for it.

Just to add if you are interested, I decided not to go on the return trial to Luton, I decided my education was more important at the moment, and that once I have finished my A levels I will get back into my strict routine and join my University team, who knows what might happen after that if I get seriously committed. If you have any more questions feel free to ask away.

D10

Post by D10 » 03 Mar 2011, 05:05

To say that Juggling doesn't help or that it is not necessary is ridiculous. It's the foundation of control, of your first touch. The better you are at Juggling, the better your going to be at controlling the ball on the ground, in the air, from a height, on your chest, head, thighs and finally using your feet.

People have been juggling for years, it's no coincidence.

panchester07
Veteran Member

Post by panchester07 » 03 Mar 2011, 15:57

D10 wrote:To say that Juggling doesn't help or that it is not necessary is ridiculous. It's the foundation of control, of your first touch. The better you are at Juggling, the better your going to be at controlling the ball on the ground, in the air, from a height, on your chest, head, thighs and finally using your feet.

People have been juggling for years, it's no coincidence.
This

I mean, to people that have been around the game for years its really obvious that juggling is the key to touch and control, and your feel will increase enourmously if you can juggle...

When you have nice feel, you can beat anyone.. Whats the difference between Gravesen, and Kun Aguero.. Exactly, the touch they both are short, fast, can explode, Kun Aguero has the ball glued to his foot at all time and he can make it do whatever he wants, adjusting his foot 1 degree to the right will make him do a total different thing and he has the touch to do it....Touch is the education of your foot.. The difference between pushing the ball and having it to exactly what you want, to pushing the ball and having to chase it down, take another touch to adjust it, and then another one to push it again....A person with feel can do with 1 touch on the ball what another person takes 5-6, that is 90% of dribbling my friend... You can be Usain Bolt, and sell your feints so well, but if you don't have the touch to go the other way you will get shut down..And unfortunately I can write 5-6 parragraphs, but you will only see my point when you juggle yourself, and see yourself improve..
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

eddy192837
Veteran Member

Post by eddy192837 » 03 Mar 2011, 17:57

When juggling, do you juggle with really close/short toe touches or whatt? Cuz i do toe touches with both feet. Would that still give me control and touch or sshould i juggle with other parts of my foot too?

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 03 Mar 2011, 19:43

juggle with every part of your foot, i try to juggle alot with the inside and outsides of my foot, you can attempt the heel if you want but that one is tricky, and then obv the laces u juggle with