needed most out of a striker

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
hello1
New User

needed most out of a striker

Post by hello1 » 23 Jan 2011, 16:20

Hi people , i currently need help on how to play as striker , my team has a few gd strikers . My coach often neglect me as he feels i not up to mark , he gives more attention to the better strikers offering them personal tips. All i can do is just watch by the side and try to listen and figure out. I really want to play , even if the coach gives up on me i dont want to give up i wan to improve and fight for the chances .

As a striker i know first touch are always important , mine is poor , i have been reading up on the forum for the guides to improve it. My shooting is poor too as my ankle are not locked causing the shot to be poor. I can only keep practicing but time is running out as the competition is coming up soon. Sometimes i try hard but still fail. I have some questions below that i want to ask about as a striker.

My coach mentioned that every striker must have an eye for goal , it sounds simple but what does it really mean . Does it mean the striker must always hit the target with every ball he gets .

I really need help on how to run as a striker , i am always running into poor positions. Can running movements be learnt or is a natural instinct that people are born with. Running into gd position at different situations . off the ball movements are one of my weakest links too.

Is there any important aspect as a striker that i have missed out.

I know i am quite lousy , but i really hope to play better soon. Thanks for taking time to read this . Really appreciated .

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 23 Jan 2011, 17:16

i think what he means by having an eye for a goal, is that a striker see's a shot that nobody else does, and he takes it. Strikers are hungry for goals.

now about the positions things, all you have to do is learn how to get in good positions, try making diagnol runs into space or just checking to the ball, make sure your screaming for it to. When you check to the ball, lay it off and make another run. But i guess it all dupends, are you really fast? or are u a stronger or bigger guy? if your really fast and kind of small you are better off making diagnol runs into space where your teammates can put balls over the top for you, if your a bigger more agressive guy, check to the ball, hold the ball up and wait for your team to join the play then lay it off. try watching some strikers on youtube or tv and see what they do, try looking up people like Droga, ibrahimovic, defoe, rooney, higuain all of these guys are good strikers you can learn alot from by just watching them

Met

Re: needed most out of a striker

Post by Met » 23 Jan 2011, 17:55

hello1 wrote: As a striker i know first touch are always important , mine is poor , i have been reading up on the forum for the guides to improve it. My shooting is poor too as my ankle are not locked causing the shot to be poor. I can only keep practicing but time is running out as the competition is coming up soon. Sometimes i try hard but still fail. I have some questions below that i want to ask about as a striker.

I really need help on how to run as a striker , i am always running into poor positions. Can running movements be learnt or is a natural instinct that people are born with. Running into gd position at different situations . off the ball movements are one of my weakest links too.
Improving your touch simple: you, a ball, a wall and time. It will take care of itself..

Just pick a guide any guide, and go outside and try to implement every little point they say. These guides are written by very knowledgable people of which most are still active and just PM them when there is a point you don't understand and they'll help, hopefully.

On top of collin's meaning for eye for goal extending it further, it means you can manufacture a chance when there really isn't anything on. Like you've got a defender up your arse but somehow you manage to make a yard and turn and shoot.

Movements for striker are key as you said. A striker standing still is easy to mark. The big thing you must do is make the defenderr choose whether to look at your or look at the ball. You do this by being on their furtherest shoulder away from the ball. That's what they mean by "off the shoulder" and because they can't see you, they usually make a mistake by taking a touch when actually you tackle them or they let it run to the keeper but you actually get there before the keeper, etc.

Also running into space, expanding on collin's point. There is usually space on the wings. the full back usually push on onto the wingers or they kinda pushed on more than than the centrebacks. You have to communicate with your wingers and your centermid that you'll look to run into that space, diagonally towards the corner flag. This also drags the centerbacks out aswell. Making space for your centermids to run into.

Can you not change teams? If you're not going to get games, you'll not improve as much as if you did.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Post by pickyourheadup » 24 Jan 2011, 01:05

Not much to add after Met's post :wink:

Some quick tips for Striker:

-Make lateral runs---not just straight runs up and down. Lateral runs help open up the field and create angles for passes.

-As Met said, get out there---The only way you can begin to "see" the space and learn to make the proper runs is to practice other people in game situations.

-Check back---Running away from the ball rarely helps anyone.

-Play defense---cause some terror in the oppositions defense.
Try to predict where their goalie will pass it. When defenders have the ball, make sure they are forced to clear it into the middle of the field, or better yet force them to turn their back towards the field and pass back.

-Talk--communicate with the midfielders, as they will be getting you the ball.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Crom

Post by Crom » 07 Feb 2011, 23:03

Another thing about a good striker is they keep cool under pressure and finish well. I see alot of strikers making good lateral runs, getting into space, and getting clean looks on goal. But the better ones keep it all together and finish smoothly instead of scuffing the shot or rushing it.