Making a training routine

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

ok i have a question. Should a routine be like this..

Monday: all day practiceing keep the ball close at speed.

Tuesday: Close control cone drils, taking small touches slalom drills.

Wednsday: High speed cone drills, going at speed at the cone drills doing them fast and quick

should you be focusing on 1 section of your for example dribbling drills. Or should you have a little bit of each everyday so everyday you would be doing a little bit of the same thing and combining everything instead of focusing all of it dupending what day it is

Met

Starting out, and speaking from experience, you usually run out of that juice they call motivation. It's probably the most important thing, rivalled by not using bad technique. People also forget that you need to train it, like it's a muscle. Doing too much too soon, will make not want to do it again.

Start out with maybe 15 minutes a day or every other day that for that period in the day you are 100% focused. Have almost a contract with yourself to do it. To begin with, choose ball mastery drills. You don't want to get tired, at least for the first 10mins, going as slow as you need and making sure you are perfect or close to as possible everytime you do it. Then the last 5 mins, almost go at game pace. Have one big aim at the end of the session. You want to improve your left foot's cutting skills. You want to improve juggling with top of the foot, side. You want to improve your flip flap etc. You want something you can use in a game. Maybe you always cut inside with your right foot and shoot, why not try to improve cutting outside and crossing decently? You want to improve what you do well, or you want to add something else to your game. It's not that you are rubbish at let's say crossing with your left, it's just that you aren't used to doing it a game and by doing it outside of a game with no pressure, you make it more likely to do it in a game.

Believe me, that's one hell of a commitment. And I'm glad you may feel it's easy. But that's how most professionals start. Playing footy with mates everyday in the park for 30mins - 1hr. Doesn't seem like a big commitment but overtime it taught them to be dedicated. Nowadays, putting 6 hrs a day is easy to them because they've honed their skills of being disciplined, committed and focused.

In terms of the wider, bigger picture goal, be focused. Improve one thing. If your coach says you shoot crap, make him say you shooting has improved by the end of the season with all your goals. You want to make noticeable improvements because it will keep you going aswell. I don't know about you, but if I was feared for one thing e.g. pace, that gives me a boost that actually, I not just awesome at that maybe my finishing isn't getting the headlines, I'll go improve that next season. I know we want to be good at everything, but focus on your position and improve according to it. Which winger would you want: a player where you can lump anywhere and would give you a good job with decent stamina, pace, crossing ability, shooting not a game changer or a winger was very quick couldn't cross to save his life but was tricky and could shoot well on occassions?

Yes you can add on more stuff but for now, see you for 4 weeks you can manage that. I'll be very impressed if you can.

collin
Veteran Member

ok so i read all of that and had a hard time what point you were trying to get across. can u put it more simply. should i be focusing on doing one thing for example close control drills for the whole day, or do i combine those with my high speed drills, running with the ball ect ect to make it more balanced

Met

I'm sorry. I usually try to cover as much ground as possible with questions. Hopefully it may help someone else who was thinking of posting.

1. Focus one big thing the whole season / preseason. Shooting / Passing / Ball mastery ( that includes close control, running with the ball at full speed unpressurized) / Taking players on ( basically whenever there's someone near you) / Crossing / Freekicks etc.. ( Dribbling unfortunately includes ball mastery and taking players on etc. so you want to be clear as possible).
2. Break it down to small chunks, try to get hold of a dvd. Do it everyday or every other day.
3. Focus 3/4 quarters of your session on that, slow as possible, as many quality repetitions as you can and than 1/4 is to have a bit of fun to work on other things that aren't so important. E.g. if you were focusing on tricking players, you might to go full speed and add a shot in the end during this time.

Be clear as possible and that will make things a lot easier. If I'm still not helping, what exactly do you want to improve? How long have you got? How much time are you willing to give up everyday? Do you do team trainings matches?

collin
Veteran Member

im focusing on improving ball mastery, so i should break it down into small chunks every day correct? doing one different ball mastery drill everyday that focuses on a different technique of ball mastery. Doing that drill as much as possible with the best technique possible. I have alot of time and yes i do practice 2-3 times a week and 2 scrimmages a week.