Finish a breakaway

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
kaoyaku
New User

So you receive a through ball around midfield, around 35 yards out you are ahead of the defense, they are relatively close. You are in the dead middle of the field. How do you go about beating the keeper, assuming a chip isn't an option. Stay in the middle and aim for a corner, even though the angle is cut by the keeper? Dribble to one side and go far? Tips please

Met

First of all, get across the closest defender if they are fairly tight. It buys you time because whatever contact you feel, you can go down and they will get a red card and defenders generally don't want to take that chance. The second defender usually goes around the keeper to cut off a weak shot. He feels that the closest defender can do something, no need to double up on a player. That or they are too far back to do anything.

The keeper is your next priority. You want him to make the decision for you. Keeper is easiest to beat when they are moving. So you want to be able to take the shot early so no long pushes and strides. As soon as he moves, strike. You want to aim for where he is coming from because it's very hard to change direction so quickly. If that doesn't work, make him move. They realise that the closer you are, the easier it will be for you. So try move him by changing angles around. Push it towards your stronger foot as if you are going to strike the nearest post to you. It's bad for a keeper to be beaten there so it's his priority. Usually they move too quickly or too far so you striker across the keeper, far corner. He has to be off balance, even slightly will work. Get it on target, you might have an easy tap or your team mates if it hits the post or keeper pulls off a save.

If making him move doesn't work, get closer to them and fake a kick. If that doesn't work, whack it straight at him and expect a rebound. If that doesn't work, go towards the byline and hope one of your team mates makes a decent run so you square it to them, early.

Good keepers will try to set themselves quickly and rush you into taking a shot when it isn't the right time to. That's why composure is crucial for a striker. It's also very hard to develop.

I'm a striker myself, if you haven't worked it out. :)
Met

klc123
Veteran Member

I would just run straight at the keeper, assuming the keeper is miles away, you should hit the ball out in front of you so that you can really utilise your pace, the last thing you want is for one of the defenders to catch you, if you think he will catch you, you should move across him so that he must foul you to stop you, as mentioned above.

In terms of how actually to take the shot, it is much of a muchness. In a one on one situation, accuracy and surprise should be considered more important than power. To get the element of surprise, you shouldn't be doing a big slow winding kick, instead you should execute a very quick and snappy kick, using a very small swing, as power isn't greatly needed.

I try to think of players having a circle around them with the radius being their reach, if the ball enters this area, that they will win it, so generally about a foot around the player, regardless of whether you are trying to shoot past the player or dribble past him, baring this circle in mind makes it much more useful, because as long as you do not let the ball fall into this area, you cannot be tackled or have your shot saved.

In the case of a shot, I just look at the keeper, and then think about this circle and then decide which side of the goal will be easier to keep the ball in, whilst still avoiding the keepers little "zone." It sounds silly, but it works very well for me in both my shooting and dribbling.

By the way, I take nearly all one on ones with the inside of my foot, it is so much easier to use quickly, and still maintains perfect accuracy, because all you have to do is make sure your foot is perpendicular (90 degrees) to the target when you strike the ball, and it will go there.