Getting the most out of drills

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

Getting the most out of drills

Post by collin » 19 Oct 2010, 23:56

i was just curious do you guys think its better to do 1 drill until you master it and then move on to the next, or have a bunch of drills and only do them a certain amount of times aka a routine. Only reason i bring this up is because i really want to get good at accelerating with the ball so i did this drill and i was just ok at it but i spent an hour doing this because i was frustrated and trying to really get better at it. Now the question is do you do this everyday until you master it or only do it x amount of times a day?

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Post by Rome_Leader » 20 Oct 2010, 00:03

It is better to have one or two drills mastered (or relatively), then to have a thousand you can only do maybe once if you get lucky. Once the muscle memory sticks, you might get a little rusty if you're out of practice, but you'll never truly forget it. These well-trained moves will become your confidence moves, getting better the more you use them.

I don't think you can ever really master a move, but you'll know yourself when you're getting "really good" as it will consistently work in games.

All roads lead to Rome.

Triskaidekaphobia: The unnatural fear of the number 13.
Most of Ballack's opposition have this phobia.

I'm Scott. Don't let the title fool you; I.AM.CANADIAN!

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 20 Oct 2010, 00:51

ok thanks rome but my drill isnt really a move. this is how it goes

x5mx10mx

x=cones and for the first 5m you got moderate speed and the 10 you got full speed sprint with ball. The thing im trying to master is keeping the ball close while accelerating. so what your saying can work for things like this to and not neccasarily moves right?

Met

Post by Met » 20 Oct 2010, 11:42

Thing is you have review your technique first. Drills improve muscle memory so if you doing it wrong, you will remember it.

I'm also in the same boat as you. Can't seem to keep the ball close when running at full speed / accelerating.

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 20 Oct 2010, 18:52

ye well my technique is basically taking as many touches as possible while still going at a decent speed so hopefully the defender cant catch me. i just try taking quick small touches but running at the same time but i guess everyone practices that same technique pretty much

jessclark92

Post by jessclark92 » 21 Oct 2010, 02:29

How are you pushing the ball along? Outside of the foot or a mix with inside and outside? The technique is important.... if you get the technique down, increase the speed, then push yourself past fatigue and then do the drill. This will force you to think about the movement and it will help become second nature. This method works well with juggling and control.
Ronaldo impersinating Arsen Wenger

Rooney thinking: should I laugh or should I punch him?

collin
Veteran Member

Post by collin » 21 Oct 2010, 19:32

ye i pretty much dribble with near my pinkie toe area so not completely outside of the foot. but should i only be practiceing speed dribbling with 1 foot? i am a two footed player but i favor dribbling with my right foot. so should i only practice this speed dribbling with the right foot instead of practiceing with the left when i could be getting lik 2x better at the right.

stephen8789

Post by stephen8789 » 22 Oct 2010, 17:12

does anyone know a good video that shows correct dribbling technique not like moves our anything like that just what part of your foot to hit the ball with