Proper technique of changing direction?

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
Juice

When changing direction, what is the most effective technique?
Which can be done with minimal speed reduced..

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

Rummandinho

Stop and go
Stepover turn
or Scissors.

Although going on fullblast, it's epicly tough to pull off a dribbling move imho.

Check these posts

NewBornProdigy's Dribbling Guide viewtopic.php?t=13975
Iwannagopro's 1v1 Trictionary viewtopic.php?t=6490
KLC's Dribbling Ultimatum viewtopic.php?t=15393

My input wasn't probably that helpful, but owel :P

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

It entirely depends on the situation.

If you are sprinting, there are many options. Here are a few:
-an inside or outside cut.
-This move: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2Oy-tnn358. Although, you do lose some speed.
-a hip or shoulder fake
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Juice

Thanx for the answers but..
I dont mean any special dibble or something like that.
What I mean is:
Imagine running diagonally forward towards the left corner flag, and then "exploding" toward the the right corner flag. How can I make that change of direction optimal (without a dribble).

See I have gotten a lot of different answers on this question, everyone says that you should keep the center of gravity low, but some say that your heel on the supporting leg should be dugged in to the ground in the moment you change direction, and some say your toes should be dugged in to the ground etc..

Sorry for being unclear...

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

but some say that your heel on the supporting leg should be dugged in to the ground in the moment you change direction
No, you should be on the balls of your feet (your toes) when you change direction, or sprint.

If you're wanting to change direction without dribbling the ball, I assume you are running without the ball? If so, best to post this in the Fitness area and I'm not sure how to help you learn to turn your body.

If you do have the ball, cutting the ball towards the right flag with the outside of your right foot would do the job. Also, cutting the ball towards the right flag with the inside of your left foot would work as well.
You planting foot needs to pivot in the ground.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

axi123
New User

If you want to change direction the best way is to apply force in the opposite direction of where your going. So if you want to go to the right lift your right foot apply force with you left foot to the left until the knee is inside the ankle. it also helps if the knees are pointing inwards just look at lionel messi he does this all the time.

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

Judo has taught me immensely how to improve my agility, but it has only just begun to pay off in my football. PYHU is right: staying on the balls of your feet is essential. If you are flat footed or worse yet, leaned back on your heels, you will almost certainly not be able to pull off a turn quickly enough, and can be easily shouldered off the ball.

As for what works best, it is situational, but I find a simple lateral cut with the inside or outside of the foot, mixed up with a scissor or too and plenty of fake kicks and knock-ons works best.