Dribbling

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
collin
Veteran Member

will dribbling with your eyes closed improve your dribbling abilities and ball control?

Icy
Veteran Member

Not any better than doing dribbling drills with your eyes open. If that's an attempt to get yourself to not look at the ball as much just force yourself to not watch the ball.

It is a great way to hurt yourself though!
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

collin
Veteran Member

thanks, i also have another question. will dribbling around my house with my turf shoes on improve my control and comfort on the ball? because i like to go in my basement and just mess around with the ball and maybe get a few cones out and do feints and go around them. i dont have that much room so i would mainly be focusing on close control i guess, but will cutting and feinting around objects in my house help me on the field?

Icy
Veteran Member

thanks, i also have another question. will dribbling around my house with my turf shoes on improve my control and comfort on the ball? because i like to go in my basement and just mess around with the ball and maybe get a few cones out and do feints and go around them. i dont have that much room so i would mainly be focusing on close control i guess, but will cutting and feinting around objects in my house help me on the field?
I highlighted the important part of that. You enjoy doing it so regardless do it. Why not doing something you enjoy?

In regards to the question though. It'll help definitely help as long as you're going to be trying stuff you're uncomfortable doing, or can't do 100% perfect all the time.
"Somewhere along the line, we seem to have confused comfort with happiness"

collin
Veteran Member

alright thanks

klc123
Veteran Member

Every single time you touch the ball your control and feeling for it improves. It's no coincidence that players like Messi and Ronaldo have probably touched the ball over a million times and why they are good dribblers.

I wouldn't dribble with your eyes closed, a good exercise might be however to dribble with the ball whilst keeping your eyes locked on something in the distance, like a tree or pole. This would improve your spacial awareness, your control and will also get you used to dribbling without looking at the ball which is very important.

D10

I do practices with my eyes closed, I practice moves with my eyes closed, it helps them become second nature. I wouldn't however go dribbling around cones with your eyes closed, that's dangerous.

Any practice will make you better.

p793
Veteran Member

1) The best dribblers dont look at the ball all the time whilst dribbling. Just look at all the star players, they are all confident in their own abilities to dribble so they can focus on othes things like body movements of the defenders, when he is off balance, team mates in space...etc

2) Always play as much as you can even if you just do it in the house! Watch Ronaldinho's day in the life documentary on YouTube, he always has a ball at his feet, even when he is sitting down watching TV