Training with deformed balls

Discuss your training routine and techniques you are practicing
acmilan94

Saw this while clicking through some soccer sites, thought I should share it: http://www.theoffside.com/world-footbal ... News+Blog)

This company is selling egg and triangle shaped soccer balls, apparently they force you to react and that improves your coordination.
I guess this is like dribbling tennis balls, it just makes you adapt in a way that when you go back to a normal ball it seems easy.
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

panchester07
Veteran Member

sh*t - No idea what to think - If it actually helps is genius, but I didn't read any good reasons to why it does..

I trained with tennis balls before, and in my opinion I didn't get 1% better.. Whereas training with a real ball, the ones you use in a game, have proven too give me the by far best results!
to know Him is to want to know Him more"

"i don't know where the limit is, but I know where it is not"

Tocar y moverse y tratarla siempre muy muy bien..'

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

I can see them really helping out goalkeepers, but as an outfield player, it would only help you learn to react to weird bounces. It might screw with your technique to be hitting something so different than a ball that you would play with.

pickyourheadup
Veteran Member

Am I the only one that had a little chuckle after reading the title of this thread :lol:

Yes, as RL said, the deformed balls are used for keepers. They sit on the ground and toss them up, catching them after they bounce. It helps their reflexes.
My Architecture Blog(updated 02-12-13)

Rome_Leader
The Italian Mod

pickyourheadup wrote:Am I the only one that had a little chuckle after reading the title of this thread :lol:

Yes, as RL said, the deformed balls are used for keepers. They sit on the ground and toss them up, catching them after they bounce. It helps their reflexes.
Sharp of you, PYHU. I missed it the first time around. ;\

acmilan94

Am I the only one that had a little chuckle after reading the title of this thread
Haha it seems like all the topics I make have titles that can be taken another way..
--
"There's someone out there practicing right now, and if you face him, he will win."

Juice

Wow it looks kind of good, and it semse to be beneficial, but a bit expensive though..

The most important key to success is self-confidence.
The most important key to self-confidence is preparation.

a_twig

As I'm thinking about it, I can see why you'd make this kind of thing for outfield players, but I don't see why it would be effective. There are two things it could improve, I guess: reactions and agility. Now, field players don't really need short reaction times for guessing ball bounces, unless maybe you're striking a volley, which would be impossible to practice with one of these. Secondly, you can train agility so much more quickly with a rope ladder. No need for the expensive marketing product.
In short, I see no reason why an outfield player would pay extra for one of these; in fact, they don't even help goalkeepers that much. These were invented for American football, where they actually had a purpose in training.